Anyone Ever Practice *charismatic* Gifts?

mulls

Was anyone here a charismatic/pentecostal Christian? Do did practice/think you had certain charismatic gifts, such as speaking in tongues/prophecy/healing?

Very curious.

I personally haven't but I know people who think they have spoken in tongues or healed.

Exactly what do you mean by "prophecy"?

Do you mean predicting the future? All of us make predictions from day to day regarding what coat we should wear to work based on the weather forecast, what food we should get at the grocery store to see us through another week, who is the best person to vote for in an election.

Or do you mean preaching? Some people say that is what the pastoral letters and Paul meant by prophecying. All of us who have ever ben inisde a church and heard a sermon, or listened to televangelists, know people who preach on a regular basis.

c-h-a-r-a-i-s-m-a-t-i-c what is this language that you speak? I have no idea what that is but it is as false as slain in spirit. Which I know how it is done, your brain is aware of what is going to happen so you trust the people behind you when they catch you. Just like the little kids....its a part of the cult when it can be brought out so easy. Have an atheist do slain in spirit and see what happens, I guarantee he won't fall.

EDT: I knew someone who thought they can see in the future,control the wind, a fighter for God. No lies and he thought he knew a dead langauage and everything. Wow he really was insane and needed theropy.

For the record, I'm not charismatic, not my thing. I'm just interested in people's experiences with it.

Ruby, I'm aware that people have different definitions to "prophecy." I'm just seeing if anyone practiced anything which they would label as prophecy, among the other things.

I usually go to this pentecostal church with my friends who are members... when a worship song, or a prayer reaches some level of ecstasy, everyone i can see seems to speak something other than english or any language I have heard.. I am not making fun of them here but I heard nearly everyone who prays in tongues out loud there utter "bala bala shakalum" or just "shackla". If I did a comparative analysis with their praying in english, the frequency they use the phrase "Father God" is the same with "shackla" in tongues.

I am in a youth group and the leader prophesied over me this other time, he said (after I told the group before that I have difficulties believing) that God showed him a vision of me as a big satyr chained to a tree trying to free myself, and that when I am eventually freed I will plow the fields of Gods garden so that seeds of faith will grow from it. I was like :twitch:

Oh, yes.

I used to practice/think I had the gift of tongues.

I saw it all: interpretation of tongues, prophecy, healing...

I'll gratuitously add that it was all quite a show: pentecostals specialize emotional sensationalism.

Prophecy, BTW, at least in the context of my church, was when someone piped out a message somewhere from the reaches of their own mind that got attributed to god. It was less common than interpretation, which in turn was less common than tongues. It was kind of like interpretation of tongues only without someone having spoken in tongues first. It was usually the sort of thing you'd expect--god would bless the church, god wanted us to be better xians, etc.

I saw MANY healings. Every single one of them fell into two categories: there were the minor miracles that were either thinly veiled sleight of hand (such as leg lengthenings--there were MANY of those) or relatively minor ailments that improve and get worse on their own and are highly influenced by one's outlook, and then there were the mega healing services where god would intimate to the flashy huckster running the service that someone had a serious, but NEVER verifiable illness of which they were healed. I NEVER saw a healing of anyone with a verifiable illness. Apparently, god was too busy healing people with sniffles and unequal length legs to get to the wheelchair bound lady in our church.

I am an ex pentecostal. I used to speak in tongues when Cheezus would enter my aeortic valve and work his way up through my left ventricle to my heart. Once there I would do the jig, and blurt out a series of mystical messages: "flerif iiwhjnb leiiwe pookeed aldkke dlk!". I would then do cartwheels around the church, ending with a bellyflop right in front of the pastor's podeium. From there I would roll aorund on the floor on my back kicking and screaming. My eyes would roll up into my head, and the veins would bulge out of my neck while I shouted over and over: "elkk eutroiioeiu oewalke jllke eiitue!!". That means "praise Cheeese-us!" in an ancient dialect known by only me and Cheezus himself.

This is only one of many bountiful gifts bestowed upon me by the Mystical Magical Sky Daddy.

Oh I almost forgot. One time during one of my many prophecy trances as bestowed by the Creator (aka Mystical Magical Sky Genie), I prophecied that the following day a bright flaming light would rise up from the east and appear in the sky. So bright that no man should dare to stare directly into the light, lest he be blinded. This prophecy came unto pass. Praise Cheezus.

I spent most of my christian years as a batshit insane charismatic. I went to the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship very regularly in addition to attending my home church. I did the whole fall-over-and-convulse-on-the-floor thing, spoke in tongues (I can still do it, too! :HaHa: ) prophesied over people, regularly entered into trance states and had visions... i was a worship leader and in the throes of a really intense worship time i'd deliver spiritual messages from God.

:crazy:

yeah. pretty whacked.

Oh yeah. I was in the Unitied Pentecostal Church International. A graduate of their biggest Bible College at the time. The whole gifts of the spirit seemed forced, but I figured the problem lay with me. Nope. They were nuts. Plain and simple. I could go on and on about them, but I'm much too tire to say more tonight about them. I'll have plenty to say later if you have some specific questions about what I see all that stuff about.

I used to raise my hands and speak and sing in tongues, and I have had people prophesy over me. The friend of mine who got me "saved" and then introduced me to the Charismatic movement used to tell me that I would "tear down intellectual and scientific arguments against the Faith". Bullshit.

I went to a church back in the late 1980s where it was fairly normal for messages in tongues to be delivered during worship services. The whole church would get quiet and there was an air of expectancy and then somebody would deliver a message in tongues and somebody else would interpret it. Often my friend Bobby (an older man who I admired and looked up to) would deliver the message, and I often found myself envious of his ability. LOL I wonder now if the whole thing wasn't planned in advance somehow.

Anyway, that's my experience...

I spent most of my christian years as a batshit insane charismatic. I went to the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship very regularly in addition to attending my home church. I did the whole fall-over-and-convulse-on-the-floor thing, spoke in tongues (I can still do it, too! :HaHa: ) prophesied over people, regularly entered into trance states and had visions... i was a worship leader and in the throes of a really intense worship time i'd deliver spiritual messages from God.

:crazy:

yeah. pretty whacked.

Wow, I've looked into that Toronto Blessing stuff, pretty crazy.

What do you attribute all those experiences to? What was going through your mind when speaking in tongues? What were the trances like?

Mike D, if you're being for real, please expand on your experiences, in plain language.

mulls, i'd attribute those experiences to psychological manipulation, my own longing to belong and be special, peer pressure on a mass scale, hysteria-induced altered states and heightened suggestibility.

i don't know what was going through my mind when speaking in tongues. my memories of all these things are not clear. i remember these things happening in a sort of haze - feeling that i was connected to something divine, and a sense of disconnectedness from the physical world... as if i were simultaneously experiencing and observing the same event. it's quite like being in a state of hypnosis.

i hope that was clear enough... please feel free to ask more questions if you want. :)

I got initiated into the Copeland/Hagan schtick while in the joint, spoke in tongues and don't doubt it was real. I was constantly thinking of what I would say, and hearing myself, trying to discover the language (some African tongue-clicking, decidely not from this white-boys' Scottish heritage).

I now attribute it more a transcendental connection to a previous self (how wonderful the ways we have ourselves believe things). A lady friend of mine says that I was a wizard in a previous life.

We did have a healing/prayer session in the yard for a friend of mine's daughter when she was 5 years old who had an open wound in her back since birth. A week later, the mother wrote me and said it was perfectly alright.

The great machine on Babylon 5 would atttribute it to all living things being connected; Napoleon Hill would attribute to the group mental connection; numerous other belief systems would atribute to whatever. The fact that things occur aren't proof of an individual hypothesis.

Mike D, if you're being for real, please expand on your experiences, in plain language.

Yeah it's hard to tell if I was being real or not, because it sounds like I could have been describing a crack induced psychotic episode. But, that's pretty much how people act when they are "drunk in the spirit".

And no, fortunately I wasn't being real. As a kid when everyone in my church started speaking in tongues I would pretty much sit quietly until it passed. It was something I tolerated because I didn't have a choice.