How To Deal With Fundies At Work

Christine

So I work in a hair salon with several christians who go to the big assembly of god church in the area. Needless to say they are "on fire for the lord". Like most salons there is a lot of conversations going on, most of us know to keep things professional with our clients, sometimes things get a little personal,but there are some subjects that most of us know to be cautious discussing(ex. politics and religion) but not these co workers. There is not a day that goes by that I don't have to listen to them preaching to clients or other co workers. I don't want to demonize these two people in particular, they are just driving me and other coworkers crazy. They know I left christianity,(they think it is spiritual warfare that caused me to loose my faith). There is no reasoning with them, they think it is their right to say what they want, although I dont think they would like it if they had to listen to my personal beliefs all day long. I don't know what to do , I bite my tounge all day long, any advice?

So I work in a hair salon with several christians who go to the big assembly of god church in the area. Needless to say they are "on fire for the lord". Like most salons there is a lot of conversations going on, most of us know to keep things professional with our clients, sometimes things get a little personal,but there are some subjects that most of us know to be cautious discussing(ex. politics and religion) but not these co workers. There is not a day that goes by that I don't have to listen to them preaching to clients or other co workers. I don't want to demonize these two people in particular, they are just driving me and other coworkers crazy. They know I left christianity,(they think it is spiritual warfare that caused me to loose my faith). There is no reasoning with them, they think it is their right to say what they want, although I dont think they would like it if they had to listen to my personal beliefs all day long. I don't know what to do , I bite my tounge all day long, any advice?

Christine,

Ever consider migrating to Australia. We don't suffer that torture here. In fact it is really against the Law. The United Christian States of America is ONE SICK COUNTRY.

Christine, for what it's worth, I suggest to seem indifferent to their conversation. If they don't know your position they can't attack it. I think Taph gave good advice here. And yes, it probably means biting your tongue. Hopefully only metaphorically;)

What does your boss think about it? Is she one of them? Have you spoken to him/her about it? Is it possible to enact a policy not to discuss religion in the salon?

You could try talking to your boss if he/she isn't one of them, but if he/she is, there's not going to be a lot you can do if you're not willing to confront them or start looking for a new job. If it was an office job, I'd suggest wearing headphones if you can, but I doubt you can do that in a salon.

Christine, for what it's worth, I suggest to seem indifferent to their conversation. If they don't know your position they can't attack it. I think Taph gave good advice here. And yes, it probably means biting your tongue. Hopefully only metaphorically;)

And if that doesn't work, try taking a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/ , http://www.cic.gc.ca/ , http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ or possibly http://www.ind.nl/EN/index.asp . (If you go with Canada though - I highly recommend staying as far away from Calgary as you can, I met every backward ass person on the planet there.

I had to quit teaching a cello student because his mother would not shut up about "the lord." My daughter used to joke that Debbie could burn her grilled cheese sandwich and say, "Praise the lord that I had cheese." Crap like that made me sick. Made my husband and daughter laugh, though. For a year it was funny in an eye rolling sort of way, but then she got worse.

In May 2005, I was facing the possibility that my cancer came back, I was terrified while waiting for the CT scan results. This ultra christian bitch decided what I needed was a 1 hour and 45 minute lecture on how I wasn't trusting god enough. :nono:

Understand, in 1998 my tumor was in my chest and it took 9 and a half hours of chest cracking surgery to get it, and two years of recovery time afterward. The last thing I ever want to do is go through that again. I was completely terrified. To COMFORT ME, Saint Shithead told me I shouldn't be afraid because it wouldn't be so bad the second time. And if I trusted God, I should LOOK FORWARD to surgery and the chance to be tested by God. "We have to thank the Lord for the storms of life because they blow us right into the lord's lap." I swear Debbie had a tambourine up her ass in case of emergency. She was so obnoxious I nearly lost my mind. Insulting, rude, and so full of herself because she had the LORD in her life.

:Doh:

Well, the good news is my cancer is gone and so is this idiot. I put up with Debbie for 2 years. I just didn't know what to do. I adored teaching her son. He had such a passion for the cello. Finally I decided it wasn't worth the stress and quit teaching her son. When I made that decision, the knot in my guts went away. I didn't realize how stressed out I was until I quit teaching the kid. What a relief to get away from super christian. I hope I never see her again.

Quitting your job is a lot more major than dropping a cello student. I know that. Just wanted to let you know I feel for ya. If you decide to quit your job and find another one, it might be worth it. It was for me!

Cello Chick

Christine,

Ever consider migrating to Australia. We don't suffer that torture here. In fact it is really against the Law. The United Christian States of America is ONE SICK COUNTRY.

Problem with going to Australia is getting in the damned place. You all but need a Papal bull, a letter from the Dalai Lama and a signed picture of you on vacation with Bob Hawke.

I pondered that...

I confess, most aussies I know have a low tolerance for idiots and will point it out in words of one syllable when their limit has been reached...

Thanks for all the comments. Cellochick I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. I hope you are okay now. There is a lot of eye rolling at work. I know if I speak up I'm looking for an arguement with them, which is something you don't want to do in front of clients. But they are affecting my work invironment (and others). I'm going to work today, I know I will subjected to their opinions, I'm going to try and have a calm rational conversation with them, if that doesn't work I may take it to my boss, he is not one of them, he is all "new age". Although part of me wants to be facetious and start talking to my clients about , I don't know, fossils, evolution, books by Dawkins or Sam Harris. It could make for an interesting day.

I'm sorry to hear about that, really. I don't have the ability to bite my tongue that way. Then again, I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I don't deal with customers often. I've never gotten into a shouting match with anyone over it, but the bible thumpers at work know better than to try and convert me. I'm sharp and merciless in telling them that I find the very idea stupid and don't appreciate the sentiment they have for their brain washing. I didn't have to become loud or argue with them about it much to convince them either. Though, a few speak with me as little as they can now. Heh.

I won't stop someone from speaking about their faith to others, as long as they leave me out of it we're fine.

Though, I admit having a pet peeve about being stuck amidst a large group of southern baptist women fresh from being filled with the holy spirit. It happens more often than I'd like.

Forgot to add my advice. Heh.

Anyway, you might not find it useful, but having an imaginary conversation like this with these people might help relieve a bit of stress if nothing else.

Here is one such example of a conversation I've had at my job many times before, with various individuals. The details vary, but it goes largely the same every time.

“Have you found Jesus?”

“Why? Did you lose him? Do you have a description?”

“He's our lord and savior!”

“Looks like an Italian guy on a stick to me. You are aware that Jesus was Jewish? Either that, or he was Latino, I'm not entirely sure. I've heard rumors about him, supposedly he sells some fire bud. Whatever that means.”

“You're going to burn in hell! Let me help you!”

“Into ten percent of my income? No thanks. I like actually being able to have sex as well. I'm better off and healthier without basing my life on an anthology of Jewish fairy tales.”

“You shouldn't be so disrespectful!”

“Why not? You don't seem to have any problem telling me I'm wrong and how to live my life. Why should I treat you any differently? Now you're just being silly.”

They will gnash their teeth, become hateful and angry, and tell you that you have to respect their beliefs.

You must respond and stand firm. “No, I have to tolerate your stupid beliefs, not respect them. I have every right to point out the fact that you're a gullible brainwashed moron, and that your arguments lack logic or reason. You can't stop me. This is not the United States of Jesus Christ.” Assuming you live in the US of course. “In fact, I feel it is my civic duty to call you out for the unreasonable ignorant boob that you are. It is my duty as an upstanding rational human being! I cannot stand idly by why you spread this foolishness any further. You sir, are a sheep, and I'll take being a wolf over that any day.”

This of course leads to more frustration, which hopefully, will stop said unreasonable person from speaking to you.

“I have the moral high ground! You're an evil man!” they will cry.

“75% of the US population is Christian. 75% of the US prison population is Christian. 10% of the US population is atheist. 0.02% of the US prison population is Atheist. You do not have the higher moral ground.”

If you've got one of the nicer Christians, at this point they will offer to pray for you. The other type will rant and stomp away, probably to get you fired from your job. I'm fortunate enough to have a boss who will tell them no, and that they shouldn't speak with me on the issue if they don't want to be insulted in such a way, and that in fact, they have insulted me by trying to be so forceful. A rare and wonderful thing in my experience.

“No! Don't pray for me! Don't you know that actually increases the chances of my death? Especially if I'm in the hospital. You shouldn't, and if you must, don't say anything. It's not really comforting.”

“You're a bad person!”

“Well, I guess I could act like a good Christian and sell my sister into slavery, stone a few disobedient children to death, and murder and rape non believers, maybe burn a few innocent people at the steak, and learn to hate gay people. You know, like Jesus wanted. Oh! Maybe if I send thousands of innocent children into the Holy Land to be slaughtered if it would help?”

“We are not...”

“And apparently, forget how to read. You know, you can't pick the parts of the bible you like and ignore the rest if it's the infallible word of god. You've got to kill people for working on Sunday or having long hair too you know.”

“You're forgetting about all the charitable work, and good the church does!”

“No. That's kind of like giving community service to a serial killer as punishment. The church has done more harm than good.”

Naturally, this is a compilation, they usually don't hang around for more than a few rounds. Still, the principal is the same. Stand your ground and verbally slug them in the gut. It makes them less likely to push their crap on others. The more of us there are, the harder it becomes for them.

Viva la resistance!

I think it's very bad business to discuss religion at work. They are probably driving away some of the clients without realizing it.

Perhaps you could have a heart to heart talk with your boss. He could let the stylists know that some complaints have been made and that he feels it's better they leave it out of the workplace since it is now affecting his pocket which will eventually trickle down to affect theirs too.

(he doesn't have to say WHO made the complaints...they can assume it's clients if they like.)

I really feel for you. I'd be seething with irritation in your situation.

This is really just another matter of having to work with a couple of oafs. You will not change THEM. They live under the delusion that they are privy to the ultimate truth and exist to advance the agenda of their god. You'll have to assess the extent of things, and decide what degree of action is called for. (At one extreme, finding another job is really drastic, and on the other, it would truly suck to be subjected to listening to their rot all day, every day at work--but it all depends on just how bad and distressing things are.) It is good that your boss is not an "on fire" fundy. I'm not sure exactly the reaction you'll get from him. It seems like this would have to annoy him eventually, but probably not as quickly as you: new agers seem to stomach these sorts better than us ex-c's: they frequently have not been burned by the obsessiveness, the rigid and intolerant dogma, and threats of hell being crammed down their throats. I also just noticed the last comment: if your boss would mention a complaint without saying who made it, and leave it to be assumed it was a customer, that would be ideal.

I think it's very bad business to discuss religion at work. They are probably driving away some of the clients without realizing it.

Perhaps you could have a heart to heart talk with your boss. He could let the stylists know that some complaints have been made and that he feels it's better they leave it out of the workplace since it is now affecting his pocket which will eventually trickle down to affect theirs too.

(he doesn't have to say WHO made the complaints...they can assume it's clients if they like.)

Have to agree, I would not go back to a hair salon if the person cutting my hair proselytized to me. In fact, I'd write a letter of complaint to them and tell them exactly why I would not go back.

Thanks again everyone, I know I mentioned two coworkers who are the proselytizers, but one in particular has gotten ridiculous. This week has gotten

so bad clients started to complain (thank goodness!) I was told by one of my bosses that I could write him a letter( I guess to have a complaint on record), so they could do something about it. Well, yesteday the hairdresser was at it again, preaching at the shampoo bowls, like I said not a day goes by, it's even to the point of every client he does, (we are a busy salon, I'm talking at least 10-12 people a day). I started composing the letter in my head, how my work invironment is becomming hostile, and I'm starting to feel threatened, when he is preaching he becomes so frenzied, almost manic. Well a client must have beaten me to it because the owner of the salon had a talk with him in his office. I just happened to be outside the door when I overheard the boss and a manager talk about the clients complaining about him. It was the end of the day, there was only couple of us left, we were finishing our last clients, when I overheard him again talking to his client about what had just transpired in the office. From what he said to his client, I'm not sure if my boss got through to him. I guess I'll see what happens this comming week.

Why does everyone automatically suggest immigrating to another country? lol. Honestly, if I could I would but that is not a financial option for many of us. On that note, I would take Amethyst's advice and wear head sets. Otherwise, to be honest, if your boss is a fundie too it is not alot you can do.

My big question is whether or not this is a new trend. Yes, fundies are always loud and obnoxious. But every since the Bush administration it seems like they are a public health threat. It is really repulsive.

I am honestly sick and tired of hearing about what their make believe God has not done for them.

KILL THEM evil_smiley.gif