Why Does Anger/hate/shock Feel Good?

Ahh!

I've noticed a lot of Hellfire preachers really seem to enjoy scaring the shit out of people. They enjoy suprising people with their extreme statements and they also seem to enjoy the hate they put into them.

I used that as a religious example but its true in general. Anger, hate and shocking others feels good to a lot of people. I've even noticed it in myself. I like being angry. It gives me a rush. I suspect its one of the reasons why people enjoy arguing about politics and religion so much. Is there a biological reason like this (nervous system, adrenaline gland, etc)? Is it psychological?

Good question. Since strong emotions like anger are normally autonomic a preacher-man would really have to be emotional about his subject matter or be faking it. If the preacher-man is truly angry, then he has little control over what he is feeling and may have no alterior motive. I would say by showing anger on the pulpit he is trying to induce anger (more likely guilt) to shame someone into following his lead. True anger cannot be brought about like that, as I said it is autonomic, so I doubt there is any endorphine junky preacher out there.

However, in your case it could be different depending upon your age. In teenagers, the logic center of the brain has not fully developed yet. This is why teenagers are more prone to risky behavior and are involved in more motor vehicle accidents than adults. This means that their reptillian brain, which normally competes with the logic center of the brain, will usually win out more times than not. The reptillian brain is the center of the most intense emotions, the fight or flight response. Survival through these baser emotions will often feel rewarding because of the hormones released from the hypothalamus and pituitary glands.

Hope this helps.

Intense emotions release andrenalin, whose effects are sort of like speed (amphetamines). It's the same chemical released in the brain when you get excited or scared or during sex. Roller coaster rides are exciting for the same reason - adrenalin.

Also letting off some anger can feel good because you're releasing a lot of pent up frustration and bringing issues to the surface that need addressing.

Handled the right way this can be an aid to communication. The unfortunate thing about anger are the consequences of handling it wrongly and hurting other people. But it can feel very good to get things off your chest.

I've noticed a lot of Hellfire preachers really seem to enjoy scaring the shit out of people. They enjoy suprising people with their extreme statements and they also seem to enjoy the hate they put into them.

I used that as a religious example but its true in general. Anger, hate and shocking others feels good to a lot of people. I've even noticed it in myself. I like being angry. It gives me a rush. I suspect its one of the reasons why people enjoy arguing about politics and religion so much. Is there a biological reason like this (nervous system, adrenaline gland, etc)? Is it psychological?

Misery loves company.

Ahh, it seems to me they are just passionate at trying to make sure they save their congrgation's souls. If they can save souls out of hell fire and damnation, they've done their job. Heck, you've got to get them to hate fornication, homosexuality, contemporary music, parties, alcohol, and such... because they might try it and like it. It's what a guy's gotta do when he's working for God. :rolleyes:

I've come to see it is amazing what belief systems will drive people to do. I'm sure it does this to me also... as probably everyone else to some degree too. :shrug:

I agree a lot with Evolution Beyond. The only thing I could add is, IMO, anger is from fear, that incites passion. Sometimes it is good to be angry as it motivates us to do something about it, such as if someone is abusing a child. As Evolution Beyond said, it is important how we channel that anger though... because the way we handle it can definitely defeat its purpose.

The preacher preaches out of fear that the devil will win our souls. :Hmm:

No wonder there's a lot of angry christians. :HaHa: