Goodbye Jesus

Prejudiced People Who Don't Know They Are.

Taphophilia

I have a boss whose parents are from Egypt and he's been educated at boarding schools. I love how he says, "Dahling" and the European tendencies he has.

Now for my rant. Working along side him, I am floored at the things people say to him.

"I saw you on TV the other day, Montel." He looks nothing like Montel, except for being black and bald.

"You are so articulate, what a credit you are to your race." as though he should be happy to represent every single dark skinned culture on the face of planet.

I haven't even been working at this job very long, and I'm simply floored that people think these are compliments to him. It really upsets me.

Will racism ever go away?

Taph

I won't waste time. The answer is no.

I'm not trying to pretend I know much about psychology, but racism is fueled (much like religious prejudice) by the "group". The people who are in the "group" feel safe in the "group" and hate the fact that there are people outside of the "group who are happy. Much like christians with atheists. That's just the backbone of the concept but it gets the point accross.

Let alone that a common enemy (of whatever type), sadly, serves as social glue within your group. You can get along more easily even with a total arsehole in your own group if you think "well, better him than Them". :Hmm:

Some really good responses here. Not much left for me to say. But I would like to respond to another aspect of your post.

How about this. Next time some whitie compliments your dark-skinned boss for something really stupid make a similar comment to the pale-face. Not something everyone is already saying or anything offensive. Just something really odd but true all the same.

Such as, "You're a really interesting specimen of your race--eyes the colour normally found in Africa and hair like the Anglo-Saxons."

That would be for a person with dark eyes and blond hair. They're rare in this part of the country but they exist.

If that happens to describe you, so what. If they point that out then throw it back in their face and say you are happy to share that interesting trait. Be sure not ever to alienate anyone. Just have a bit of fun. Fun that makes a point.

If you are like me you are going to have to make up your little speeches ahead of time--possibly one for each worker who might make such an inane statement--and practice them in your head till you can pull it off in your sleep.

I have a boss whose parents are from Egypt and he's been educated at boarding schools. I love how he says, "Dahling" and the European tendencies he has.

Now for my rant. Working along side him, I am floored at the things people say to him.

"I saw you on TV the other day, Montel." He looks nothing like Montel, except for being black and bald.

"You are so articulate, what a credit you are to your race." as though he should be happy to represent every single dark skinned culture on the face of planet.

I haven't even been working at this job very long, and I'm simply floored that people think these are compliments to him. It really upsets me.

Taph

Where is this?

Taph

Where is this?

Harley, I don't know for sure but I think she means Florida.

Taph

I doubt it, sadly. There will always be stupid people as long as human beings exist. Even though it's considered bad form to be openly racist, a lot of people have it hidden underneath the surface and you don't really know they are racist until they put their foot in their mouth by making negative comments and/or stupid jokes.