Goodbye Jesus

What Denomination Are You From?

R. S. Martin

There are thousands of denominations out there. Some have similar backgrounds, but are considered different churches. This will influence what people check off on your poll. For example, if you had put down "Baptist" instead of "Southern Baptist" you might get more people checking that box. Also if you had put down "Brethern" instead of "Brethern in Christ". There are more congregations of The Church of the Brethern and The Brethern Church than there are of The Brethern in Christ, which is a rather small denomination. At least that's true around my area; maybe it's different where you are?

I'm confused why you put the Seventh Day Adventist Church in with the Latter Day Saints. They have totally different beginnings, and to my knowledge are not connected in any way.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R. S. Martin

• pandora

• Casey

• Grandpa Harley

I don't know what the US Southern Baptists are like, but catholicism to me was like fascism. School life was regimented and rigid, critical thinking was not encouraged. Oddly however, they had to teach a certain amount of science and maths that required critical thinking and once you started doing a bit of that, along with reading a few banned books like Boccaccio's Decamarone, you saw them for the hypocrites and liars they were. Being abused helps a bit too, it makes you hate.

Casey

That sounds about right. They tell you how it is and then teach you stuff that directly contradicts the theology.

"God created the earth in 6 days. Now let's turn to page 71 and talk about the Pleistocene era..."

Lutheran. Like Catholicism, but drier, more morbid and totally bereft of soul.

"It's the Roman Catholics out in front, ladies and gentlemen, with the Southern Baptists holding onto second, the Lutherans and Asses of God neck 'n' neck for third...." :HaHa:

Sounds like a church fundraiser. "OK, line your priests, pastors, ministers, elders, or what-have-you up on the starting line...last call for placing your bets!" :HaHa:

There are thousands of denominations out there. Some have similar backgrounds, but are considered different churches. This will influence what people check off on your poll. For example, if you had put down "Baptist" instead of "Southern Baptist" you might get more people checking that box. Also if you had put down "Brethern" instead of "Brethern in Christ". There are more congregations of The Church of the Brethern and The Brethern Church than there are of The Brethern in Christ, which is a rather small denomination. At least that's true around my area; maybe it's different where you are?

The only reason I know there is a Church of God is because of your name--Ex-COG. I thought of putting down "Brethern" but I don't know anything about them so I wasn't sure if that is a name or just a nickname for a larger and more official name. The only denominations I really know anything about are the Mennonites, Amish, Lutherans, Roman Catholics, and Anglicans--approximately in that order. I've often heard the name Swiss Brethern but I think they changed into something else in recent centuries, though I'm not sure. There is a Mennonite Brethern church not too far from here but I thought because of the name "Mennonite" they fall under that heading. Are you saying they would belong under "Brethern"?

I'm confused why you put the Seventh Day Adventist Church in with the Latter Day Saints. They have totally different beginnings, and to my knowledge are not connected in any way.

Because I don't know a thing about them and they always seem to be mentioned as being in the same category.

Maybe--but this is not a promise--I can do another poll based on the things I learn from this thread. Or is there a way to alter what I've posted? If there is, I don't know it.

Because of the thread started by LosingMyReligion about "which is worse" I really wanted to see how RC and SB compare. See the OP here for more detail on this.

Anglican (Catholic lite!), did a spell with Elim Pentecostalism.

I put Southern Baptist, but was really an American Baptist. From what I understand they're pretty much the same except the ABA doesn't tell individual churches how to spend money where the SB does. At least that's what I was told.

Assemblies of God was where my membership lay, I was a full-fledged pentecostal though. Speaking in tongues, screaming during the services, hanging from the chandeliers, the whole 9 yards.

I clicked "other" though, because towards the end of everything, I turned to a staunch Zionist, and began attending a Messianic Jewish Synagogue on the outskirts of Philly. I celebrated all the Jewish holidays instead of all the Christian ones, and even came close to converting to Judaism, just so I could become a "completed Jew".

So yeah, I was a Pentecostal Messianic, if that makes any sense. Wore a draped headcovering on High Holy Days.

don't forget the Plymouth Brethren. They're not huge, but they produced Aleister Crowley...

I was a southern baptist Pentacostal...

Honestly, I'm ashamed to tell anyone that now.

Other...United Methodist

Reformed Church of America (RCA). This is a denomination that comes out of the Dutch immigration to the USA and Canada. It comes from the Calvinist tradition, and thus it is closely related to the various Presbyterian churches.

Started off Presbyterian as a youngster. Later years ended up in a non-denom christian church that was very charismatic. (and put me over the edge with the healings, people passing out on the floor, etc.) :ugh:

Ex-babble bangin', truth-proclaimin', gawd-fearin', jebus-lovin', ex Southern Burptist.

Note the edit on the OP. A copy is below (purple part). I added quite a number of names and would like feedback.

On the list below I added some of the denominations people mentioned that I missed. I don't know how to add them to the poll but I can add them to this list. Maybe I'll do another poll later that includes these. Let me know what you think about:

1. Doing another poll later that includes a better representation of the spectrum of denominations.
  2. The way I now list them. I group some together that are closely related. I don't know too much about many denominations but some people gave info on theirs. Let me know what you think about

1. the way I group them together or
    2. separate them. I made some changes in that (on this list only; not the poll because I can't).

[*]How to decide on what to combine or separate.

[*]Denominations you think should be on the list but nobody on exC belonged to it.

Anglican/Episcopalian/Church of England

Apostolic

Assembly of God

Brethern

Baptist (all types except Southern and Fundamental)

Calvary Chapel

Church of God

Congregational

Evangelical (if this was main identity)

Fundamental Baptist (KJV only)

German Lutheran

Hutterite

Jehovah's Witness

Latter Day Saints

Lutheran

Mennonite/Amish

Methodist/Quaker

Missionary Alliance

Nondenominational

Pentecostal/Charismatic

Plymouth Brethren

Presbyterian/Reformed Church

River Brethern/Dunkard

Roman Catholic

Salvation Army

Seventh Day Adventist

Southern Baptist

United Church of Canada

Unitarian Universalist

Other (please indicate what)

don't forget the Plymouth Brethren. They're not huge, but they produced Aleister Crowley...

... And John George Haigh, come to think. (A hint for non British readers, he was one of the star turns in the British Criminal Courts in 1948 - 49)

Casey

Are the Plymouth Brethern different from the other Brethren groups? Aren't they what is now Presbyterian?

... And John George Haigh, come to think. (A hint for non British readers, he was one of the star turns in the British Criminal Courts in 1948 - 49)

Casey

Acid Bath Haigh, the Vampire Killer... slap me with a haddock!

My dear, I used to be a gospel singing lutheran. Slap me!

Plymouth Brethren have now been added to the list.

I clicked on Seventh Day Adventist(SDA)/Latter Day Saints because I was a member of the SDA church. I think these two churches should definetly be seperated on the next poll as they basically have nonthing in common with each other.

Also I think that the Unitarian Universalist church should be removed for they are definetly not a Christian denomination.

I checked "Roman Catholic" and "Evangelical" - I did about a year as an nondenominational fundygelical at the end of my teens, but for 26+ total years of my life, I was a Cathoholic.

What a way to waste over a quarter of a friggin' century :angry: