Goodbye Jesus

What Denomination Are You From?

R. S. Martin

I clicked on Seventh Day Adventist(SDA)/Latter Day Saints because I was a member of the SDA church. I think these two churches should definetly be seperated on the next poll as they basically have nonthing in common with each other.

If you look at the new list in Post 42 you will see that I separated them.

I will take UU off the list.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R. S. Martin

• pandora

• Casey

• Grandpa Harley

Note the edit on the OP. A copy is below (purple part). I added quite a number of names and would like feedback.

On the list below I added some of the denominations people mentioned that I missed. I don't know how to add them to the poll but I can add them to this list. Maybe I'll do another poll later that includes these. Let me know what you think about:

1. Doing another poll later that includes a better representation of the spectrum of denominations.
  2. The way I now list them. I group some together that are closely related. I don't know too much about many denominations but some people gave info on theirs. Let me know what you think about

1. the way I group them together or
    2. separate them. I made some changes in that (on this list only; not the poll because I can't).

[*]How to decide on what to combine or separate.

[*]Denominations you think should be on the list but nobody on exC belonged to it.

Anglican/Episcopalian/Church of England

Apostolic

Assembly of God

Brethern

Baptist (all types except Southern and Fundamental)

Calvary Chapel

Church of God

Congregational

Evangelical (if this was main identity)

Fundamental Baptist (KJV only)

German Lutheran

Hutterite

Jehovah's Witness

Latter Day Saints

Lutheran

Mennonite/Amish

Methodist/Quaker

Missionary Alliance

Nondenominational

Pentecostal/Charismatic

Plymouth Brethren

Presbyterian/Reformed Church

River Brethern/Dunkard

Roman Catholic

Salvation Army

Seventh Day Adventist

Southern Baptist

United Church of Canada

Other (please indicate what)

Southern Baptist (9) and Roman Catholic (8) still leading the crowd. SB’s ahead at the moment. Lutheran, Evangelical, and Assembly of God all come in at third place with 5 at the moment.

Are these the five worst churches on the planet or is it just that people who leave these churches are more likely to respond to a survey like this? Or is it something totally different? Maybe we will never know.

"Other" has twice as many voters (16) but they're all over the map because I didn't make enough categories.

I was Anglican...Church of England

Originally I was Mo. Synod Lutheran. Tried a few liberal churches as a last-ditch effort but couldn't get back itno it.

Baptist (all types except Southern and Fundamental)

Assemblies of God is a type of Pentecostal church. Actually there are a number of hootin', hollerin', tongue talkin', rollin' on the floor, Praise The Lawd sorts of churches that seem quite similar to me.

Seems that you forgot Mormon. I don't know if we have any ex-Mormans around to notice--I don't know of any, nor have any actually come to my attention in my life travels.

I'm a little ignorant about the range of non-denominational churches. Can't they range from Charasmatic, Evangelical, Fundy to more bland and generic. Or do the bland generic ones usually align themselves with more reserved, established sects, leaving the non-denominationals more fundy?

Aren't there also Orthodox churches that aren't represented?

And I wouldn't know quite what to suggest about this, but some rather obscure denominations (at least they seem obscure to me--Hutterite, Missionary Alliance, Plymouth Brethren, River Brethren/Dunkard, to mention some I've never heard of or am barely aware of) are listed equally with some MAJOR denominations.

I am from non denomenationl in Bakersfield, CA.....

Here I finally realized that my church is full of racist bastards..when I looked around one time I was thinking where are all the Mexicans,blacks,ect....? The church total 99.98% is all white. 3 black people in the whole church (but that is a family). For those who know Bakersfield it is a pretty diverse town but that is absurb, no one from other ethnic backgrounds at all.

I was raised in a church affiliated with the United Pentecostal Church International, which indentifies itself as Pentecostal (NOT charismatic), Apostolic, Holiness, Oneness, and Jesus-Name.

(I'm unsure as to why "we" scorned the charismatics. I think they were supposed to be the insincere fakes who had no standards and didn't baptized..and when they did it was in the titles.)

Assemblies of God is a type of Pentecostal church. Actually there are a number of hootin', hollerin', tongue talkin', rollin' on the floor,

The UPCI and AOG are supposed to be at odds; I believe the division occured because of the Trinity. AOG-types are said to have lax standards, which isn't too difficult to believe considering how stringent UPCI standards can be.e)

Guest Nymphetamine

I was baptized Methadist and my parents were but I never really was other than when I was a child but I don't really count that cause you don't have too much of a choice when you're a little kid.

I was raised Catholic, then I started going to my friend's Baptist (conservative, but not Southern Baptist) church in middle school. In high school, I went to the Independent Christian Church (which came out of the Restoration movement and split into Church of Christ (Disciples of Christ) and Christian Church (Independent Christian Church). This non-denominational denomination is particularly popular in the midwest (they say that because there is no national leadership or network and no denominational rules or guidelines, there is only individual church government... yet they are all the same in belief anyway).

They have a major thing with infant baptism, and they don't think one is saved unless baptized by dunking as an adult.

I tried liberal Methodism for a while towards the end of my stint in Christianity in college, but I couldn't even do that anymore. I could relate to it because it vaguely reminded me of some Catholic traditions, but it was too touchy-feely with no substance for me.

Obviously, now, I don't go anywhere. I could go to a UU church just to have something to do and meet new likeminded people, but I wouldn't go because I actually try to be spiritual beyond meditation and stuff like that.

I was raised Catholic, then I started going to my friend's Baptist (conservative, but not Southern Baptist) church in middle school. In high school, I went to the Independent Christian Church -which came out of the Restoration movement and split into Church of Christ (Disciples of Christ) and Christian Church (Independent Christian Church). This non-denominational denomination is particularly popular in the midwest (they say that because there is no national leadership or network and no denominational rules or guidelines, there is only individual church government... yet they are all the same in belief anyway).

They have a major thing with infant baptism, and they don't think one is saved unless baptized by dunking as an adult.

I tried liberal Methodism for a while towards the end of my stint in Christianity in college, but I couldn't even do that anymore. I could relate to it because it vaguely reminded me of some Catholic traditions, but it was too touchy-feely with no substance for me.

Obviously, now, I don't go anywhere. I could go to a UU church just to have something to do and meet new likeminded people, but I wouldn't go because I actually try to be spiritual beyond meditation and stuff like that.

double post, sorry!

And I also went to a Nazarene Holiness church when I was in high school because the guy I dated went there. I always thought they were nuts with their skirts and no make-up rules.

If you have any other questions about the denominations I was in, RubySera, feel free to ask. :)

The Independent Christian Church is also generally very conservative politically (although the churches themselves stay out of politics on purpose, it just so happens that the areas in which these churches are have conservative residents... think the suburbs of larger cities. These are basically megachurches with 2,000 Sunday worship attendance the norm. They are evangelical. While they won't admit to it, they basically operate by the principles of The Purpose Driven Church book. Relationships, practical matters like finances, and current vents are a major focus in sermons, sprinkled in with the Gospel and adult baptism, which is the other major focus. That's my assessment, anyway.

As an adult, I also attended a Church of God, but it was different. It has the same roots as my first church, but with the passage of time it had mellowed out and became more generally evangelical. They were still very much into free will, no formal church membership, and other of the original teachings, but not to the point of being so negative and condemning of other Christians who didn't believe like they did. They even admitted that they were a denomination, and had set up headquarters in Anderson, IN. The "other" box applies to this church too, but I also checked "evangelical".

My best friend in high school was in this denomination for a while. It was cult-like when she was a child, and she even felt a need to "convert" to "true" Christianity in high school (thanks to me, I'm ashamed to say...)

Missouri Synod Lutheran born, raised and confirmed. :woohoo:

Went to a First Baptist school to be indoctrinated educated but never converted (just learned to hate myself, and pretty much everyone and everything else, for not being Baptist a real xian).

Tried some other Lutheran church but the heart wants what the heart wants and I guess I'm just a Mo. Syn. Lutheran. :HaHa:

mwc

I was Pentecostal, born and raised. Not the kind where women had to wear skirts and avoid makeup and haircuts though...

I've now posted a new thread for this topic. I'm going to see if Nivek will close this thread so that new votes will be on the other one. I am hoping people who voted here will vote again on the "new and improved" thread. I'm not sure about the "improved" part but I did what I could.

On this thread so far, it looks like Roman Catholic and Southern Baptist run a pretty close tie (compared to the other denominations).

• Southern Baptist 13
  • Roman Catholic 11
  • Total 61

Thanks for your participation and hope to see folks on the other thread.