Goodbye Jesus

Irritating Catch Phrases

DarthOkkata

One that I loathe with my being is the ever popular: Well, they are not really Christian." usually when an individual or group of Christians do something horrible, like kill people.

The Puritans were not real Christians. Hitler was not Christian. The Crusaders were not Christian.

Well of course... can't have those bad dudes cluttering our happy sunshine perfect faith ;)

Anyways there is a simple reply to this cop-out:

- They all identified themselves as Christians, just like you do - how is your claim any more valid than theirs?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Toxic

• Gary Thompson

• DarthOkkata

This is my first real post. I was having so much fun reading this, that I thought I would add my own favorite christian catch phrases. Since I'm a recent ex-christian (1 month ago), they are still fresh in my mind.

"you have to catch it in the spirit" - meaning I can't explain it to you!

"we walk by faith and not by sight" - used when things don't happen the way they are supposed to

"his ways are higher than our ways" or "there is no searching of his understanding"- don't question god about anything just shut up and pray!

"make no provision for the devil" - if you have doubts or rational thoughts it's obviously the devil at work in you.

"the devil is a liar" - my (still) christian family and friends answer to anything I say about being an ex-christian

I could go on....but writing this just re-inforces for me that I have made the right decision to get out of the madness. I only wish I'd had to courage to leave sooner when I first started doubting.

Michie

"you have to catch it in the spirit" - meaning I can't explain it to you!

"we walk by faith and not by sight" - used when things don't happen the way they are supposed to

"his ways are higher than our ways" or "there is no searching of his understanding"- don't question god about anything just shut up and pray!

The variant of this I was told was "clay doesn't question what a potter does to it - in the same way we don't question God!"

I am to the point where I enjoy the Christian catch phrases, especially when my teenagers are around. One once told my son that masturbation was an evil homosexual act, to which my son answered, "If God didn't want us to masturbate... he'd have made our arms shorter".

What really bugs me is are the big gas hog vehicles with the red, white and blue bumperstickers, "God Bless America" and "The Power of Pride".

Most of the gas-hogs in my neck of the woods have NOTW decals. :loser:

I don't know why, but I HATE HATE HATE those bumper stickers that say: "Know Jesus, Know Peace; No Jesus, No Peace." :Doh:

[i don't know why, but I HATE HATE HATE those bumper stickers that say: "Know Jesus, Know Peace; No Jesus, No Peace." :Doh:

Twincats: Maybe it is this: The Know Peace sticker states that it is impossible to have peace without knowing Jesus. You may have disovered that actually the opposite is true: Know Jesus, No Peace; No Jesus, know Peace. It naturally becomes irritating to see lies posted everywhere.

Of course this makes a huge assumption too, that one can ever "know Jesus".

LOL... doesn't "know" in the bible have the same context as "had sex with"?

I don't know why, but I HATE HATE HATE those bumper stickers that say: "Know Jesus, Know Peace; No Jesus, No Peace." :Doh:

Eh, what? They are almost right...

...of course the correct text would be "Know jebus, no peace" and vice versa... :HaHa:

LOL... doesn't "know" in the bible have the same context as "had sex with"?

It could. And we do know that he's a sub at heart...

[i don't know why, but I HATE HATE HATE those bumper stickers that say: "Know Jesus, Know Peace; No Jesus, No Peace." :Doh:

Twincats: Maybe it is this: The Know Peace sticker states that it is impossible to have peace without knowing Jesus. You may have disovered that actually the opposite is true: Know Jesus, No Peace; No Jesus, know Peace. It naturally becomes irritating to see lies posted everywhere.

^_^ Very catchy, I like it. Both the original and after it's been switched around.

• 2 weeks later...

"You need and instruction manual for life just like you need and instruction manual for a car - the Bible is that instruction manual!" :ugh:

Sorry if I mentioned this one before in other threads but it really sticks in my craw.

"You need and instruction manual for life just like you need and instruction manual for a car - the Bible is that instruction manual!" :ugh:

Aaah, right, that one. Fine instruction manual, that one - allows you to do anything and everything, you just need to quote the fitting verse. :Hmm:

:banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

My personal favorites:

Heart of Jesus: Say this prayer for 3 days promise publication and favours will be granted never known to fail. Promise to publish, many thanks for favours received & about to be received

Prayer to St. Joseph: This prayer was found in the fiftieth year of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Say for nine mornings in a row for anything you may desire. It has never been known to fail.

Prayer to St. Jude: A novena to St. Jude has never been known to fail for those who maintain a strong posture of faith that God is ALWAYS working behind the scenes for us.

54 day rosary: A laborious Novena, but a Novena of Love. You who are sincere will not find it too difficult, if you really wish to obtain your request. No prayer ever went unheard. And Our Blessed Lady has never been known to fail. Look upon each Hail Mary as a rare and beautiful rose which you lay at Mary’s feet.

I can tell you without hesitation that all of these prayers failed miserably at a time when I was in dire need of divine assistance.

My personal favorites:

Heart of Jesus: Say this prayer for 3 days promise publication and favours will be granted never known to fail. Promise to publish, many thanks for favours received & about to be received

Prayer to St. Joseph: This prayer was found in the fiftieth year of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Say for nine mornings in a row for anything you may desire. It has never been known to fail.

Prayer to St. Jude: A novena to St. Jude has never been known to fail for those who maintain a strong posture of faith that God is ALWAYS working behind the scenes for us.

54 day rosary: A laborious Novena, but a Novena of Love. You who are sincere will not find it too difficult, if you really wish to obtain your request. No prayer ever went unheard. And Our Blessed Lady has never been known to fail. Look upon each Hail Mary as a rare and beautiful rose which you lay at Mary’s feet.

I can tell you without hesitation that all of these prayers failed miserably at a time when I was in dire need of divine assistance.

Key phrase in all of the above is "has never been known to fail." Well, one exception disproves the rule, doesn't it? I was never a Catholic, but I suppose these blatant lies are still promoted by the Church. It fits in nicely with the rest of the BS Catholic doctrine and heirarcichal structure with its ultimate goal of control.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ComfortablyConfused

The phrase I hate the most (at the moment) is one I heard a lot in prayer. It's an overused, trite cliche that is gleefully used by any Christian elder/mentor/staff etc...:

"Lord, please open the flood gates"

I also hate "of the flesh, but not in it"...-I think that's how it goes....or is it :"in the flesh but not of it"...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I HATE "God never gives us more than we can bear."

Riiighhht. Go look in the schizophrenia ward of the local mental hospital and then TELL ME that the head-banging, drooling, skin-picking catatonics are "handling" what God gave them. Idiots.

Also "Jesus is the reason for the Season!" I see this all the time around Xmas. Jesus was not even BORN in December. Most of the customs around Xmas are throwbacks to pagan traditions.

Also "Jesus is the reason for the Season!" I see this all the time around Xmas. Jesus was not even BORN in December. Most of the customs around Xmas are throwbacks to pagan traditions.

Thy Lord God Saturn was the reason for the season. But, then again, let us have science prevail: The reason for the season is that the Earth tilts away from the sun for one hemisphere, thus creating a season of shorter, colder days. No matter what religion you belong to, or none at all, it is still Winter.

WWJD irritates me...

(what would jesus do?)

In my mind I add "For a Klondike Bar". Or I substitute it with "What Would Jackass Do"..

:)

"Keep the faith."

You might want to say, "gee, I lost my faith a while back ! and it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me! I got my rational mind back !

Maybe you should try it too"

:lmao: