Mere C.s. Lewis

Christians make much about the life history of one of their mascots, C.S. Lewis, and the fact that he self-identified as a Christian for the first part of his life, then was an atheist from age 18 to 31, then converted to Xtianity again & remained one for the duration. So there was kind of a scary "window of opportunity" there, for him, wasn't there?

My question, and maybe I should be asking Xtians (in another part of this site), is, What would have happened to C.S. Lewis if he had died at the age of: i] seventeen, ii] eighteen, iii] nineteen, iv] thirty, v] thirty-one, and vi] thirty-two? I've heard it said that the Lard looks out for small children and drunks, but C.S. Lewis is the first example I've run across where the Lard also looks out for atheists.

Had he died during those ages he would have ended up forgotten and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Had he lived and never written a word it wouldn't matter what he believed since it couldn't serve any agenda. Since he lived, and wrote about his experience, he can be held up as a religious icon...and so he is.

mwc

C.S. Bloody Lewis... Anyone would believe he was at the last supper. And the man is popular because of his bloody pathetic apologetics. God sending the world 'beautiful dreams' in the form of dying Man-Gods. My entire, pale pink, English, but delightfully pert, arse...

My entire, pale pink, English, but delightfully pert, arse...

:lmao:

Ah, the British wit. You guys crack me up. And when I say you guys, that includes Mr. Bean. :lmao:

Christians make much about the life history of one of their mascots, C.S. Lewis, and the fact that he self-identified as a Christian for the first part of his life, then was an atheist from age 18 to 31, then converted to Xtianity again & remained one for the duration. So there was kind of a scary "window of opportunity" there, for him, wasn't there?

My question, and maybe I should be asking Xtians (in another part of this site), is, What would have happened to C.S. Lewis if he had died at the age of: i] seventeen, ii] eighteen, iii] nineteen, iv] thirty, v] thirty-one, and vi] thirty-two? I've heard it said that the Lard looks out for small children and drunks, but C.S. Lewis is the first example I've run across where the Lard also looks out for atheists.

While you got some great answers to your question, methinks you were wondering about his eternal soul? Yes?

Far be it from me to have any answers, but I'd say what I say about everyone: I hope for as close to universal salvation as one can get without being a true universalist. If Lewis had died in his atheism, he would have been disabused of it in the next "waking moment," and he would have confessed his great error (I'm a theist, so see atheism, not theism, as the "great error") and been saved. As Jesus put it, "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men [and women] to myself."

-CC

IF they let the Phelps clan in, I'm not going...

Well, Grandpa, you did notice that I wrote that I don't want to be a true universalists because then you have to let everyone in! :twitch:

Seriously though, once we are all "in" we'll see things as they really are and we'll all stand in awe at how narrow-minded and small our own views were and at how often we were dead wrong, so we'll all be at the same place. Fred Phelps, too. But, for now, I shudder to think of meeting him!

CC

I'd want to know the following

1) Who was Jack the Ripper

2) Who killed the Black Dahlia

3) Howcum gravity is such a weak force

There rest... I can easily ignore God since he has nothing of interest for me, especially if the Christians were even nominally correct. An offended god is no god at all... I'm still amazed at how the doctrine of original sin holds sway in so many sects...