Goodbye Jesus

What If God Is Dead?

DarthOkkata

I've thought of an interesting question.

What if God, is dead?

Yes, our creator, tormentor/saviour, has bit the big one.

Would we notice?

One would think that there would be considerably less 'hand of god' slayings, no more heartfelt letters [that are really thinly veiled threats], and absolutely no hard evidence of any more miricles ever. Can you imagine such a world?

How long would we last without god? What's he saving/protecting us from in the huge void of nothing? Certainly not asteroids. http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news017.html

Gama Explosions, black holes, and other nasty gas clouds could end us all at any given moment.

What exactly does 'God' do these days? He certainly had time for face to face talks before.

He's dead maybe?

What if Jesus, was just God's way of commiting suicide, and it worked?

What would the world be like now, I wonder...

He's either dead, doesn't exist, or he's a giant farming ameboid predator. Yeah, the light is eternal paradise...come on in buddy.

If god's dead, then where the fuck do WE go when we die! :bluegrab:

If god's dead, then where the fuck do WE go when we die! :bluegrab:

New Jersey. That way New York can smell us.

Nee Yeysee.

I wonder... could God ever have been "alive"? What does it mean to be alive when it comes to a omni-* being?

We have to consider our definition of "alive" and "dead". After all, if the soul (for want of a better word) exists after biologial death, then it would in fact be alive for its reality but dead for ours. By that logic, if god exists, he is alive for his reality and dead for ours.

Conclusion: God is, in fact, dead. :68:

He's dead maybe?

What if Jesus, was just God's way of commiting suicide, and it worked?

What would the world be like now, I wonder...

What would the world be like now if God were dead? Easy... it would look exactly like it does now.

The real question is what would the world look like if no one believed in God at all anymore? Imagine... :grin:

What if God, is dead?

God can't die, by definition.

What if God, is dead?

God can't die, by definition.

That's assigning limits to something that can't be measured. How would we know what God can't do? If he felt like not existing, [death] why couldn't he?

That's assigning limits to something that can't be measured. How would we know what God can't do? If he felt like not existing, [death] why couldn't he?

Just because we can't comprehend the scope of something, doesn't mean it can't be measured. Now you're assigning irrational concepts to the idea of a god.

God is a maximal being. Necessarily God contains maximal power and knowledge. Necessarily God is incorruptible and eternal.

By being eternal, God cannot die.

Just because we can't comprehend the scope of something, doesn't mean it can't be measured. Now you're assigning irrational concepts to the idea of a god.

God is a maximal being. Necessarily God contains maximal power and knowledge. Necessarily God is incorruptible and eternal.

By being eternal, God cannot die.

Well sure, assuming you're talking about a specific and documented 'God'. As in, the Christian version.

Neither you, nor anyone else, can really say what 'God', if he exists, can or can't do. The idea that if it does exist, it is 'eternal' is something dreamed up by the same people who fabricated him in the first place.

How would we know if 'the creator' has or had some sort of 'life span'?

You can't measure god, you can't define limits to god, you can't prove he exists. [Just as I can't prove that he doesn't. I do have the fact that you can't prove a negative on my side of the argument though.] Maybe he's a giant spagetti monster? If he is, what happens when enough fat Italians make it to heaven?

What if Satan kicked his ass? If his existence wasn't a threat, why imprison him? One would assume god felt threatened. Can you really tell me that you know for sure that there's no way to destroy god? If there was, wouldn't God know about it? If so, what's wrong with him deciding to take advantage of it?

The idea that god -can't- do something makes him not god right? Well, what if he wanted to die? Doesn't -he's too powerful and can't- turn out to be a bit of a paradox then? If he can't, he's not all powerful, and not god anyway.

There are places in the bible that hint that 'God' probably had or has rivals. Otherwise, why say 'don't pray to other gods' instead of 'I'm the only god there is, so you shouldn't bother praying to other gods'?

Then again, how is he all powerful then? Maybe just 'most powerful'?

Either way it's an academic question. The truth is, the world as it is only fits two explinations. 'God is dead' or 'God never existed'. All evidence seems to point to one of those two options.

^_-

Well sure, assuming you're talking about a specific and documented 'God'. As in, the Christian version.

Uh, no. Assuming you're a thinking human being who understands what words like "necessary" and "eternal" are.

Neither you, nor anyone else, can really say what 'God', if he exists, can or can't do.

Ok, I'll bite. Why not?

Because it's illogical.

You can't measure god, you can't define limits to god, you can't prove he exists.

So? Why not? And so?

[Just as I can't prove that he doesn't. I do have the fact that you can't prove a negative on my side of the argument though.] Maybe

he's a giant spagetti monster? If he is, what happens when enough fat Italians make it to heaven?

What if Satan kicked his ass?

If his existence wasn't a threat, why imprison him? One would assume god felt threatened. Can you really tell me that you know for sure that there's no way to destroy god? If there was, wouldn't God know about it? If so, what's wrong with him deciding to take advantage of it?

There are places in the bible that hint that 'God' probably had or has rivals. Otherwise, why say 'don't pray to other gods' instead of 'I'm the only god there is, so you shouldn't bother praying to other gods'?

Stop being retarded. You're the one accusing me of bringing in Christianity to the discussion, and then discuss as if that's what you were talking about in the first place.

The idea that god -can't- do something makes him not god right? Well, what if he wanted to die? Doesn't -he's too powerful and can't- turn out to be a bit of a paradox then? If he can't, he's not all powerful, and not god anyway.

I didn't say he was all-powerful, fucktard. Am I having a conversation with a 16-year old atheist?

Either way it's an academic question. The truth is, the world as it is only fits two explinations. 'God is dead' or 'God never existed'. All evidence seems to point to one of those two options.

^_-

It isn't an academic question, it's an idiotic question. God can't die, so your first concept is meaningless.

As someone who considers the entire concept of god meaningless, I find the whole topic a little bit silly.

God only exists in people's imaginations, therefore God will only be truly dead when theism dies.

^_-

You're addressing the Christian God here right? If not, there are a few other options. :)

Uh, no. Assuming you're a thinking human being who understands what words like "necessary" and "eternal" are.

Neither you, nor anyone else, can really say what 'God', if he exists, can or can't do.

Ok, I'll bite. Why not?

Because it's illogical.

You can't measure god, you can't define limits to god, you can't prove he exists.

So? Why not? And so?

[Just as I can't prove that he doesn't. I do have the fact that you can't prove a negative on my side of the argument though.] Maybe

he's a giant spagetti monster? If he is, what happens when enough fat Italians make it to heaven?

What if Satan kicked his ass?

If his existence wasn't a threat, why imprison him? One would assume god felt threatened. Can you really tell me that you know for sure that there's no way to destroy god? If there was, wouldn't God know about it? If so, what's wrong with him deciding to take advantage of it?

Stop being retarded. You're the one accusing me of bringing in Christianity to the discussion, and then discuss as if that's what you were talking about in the first place.

I didn't say he was all-powerful, fucktard. Am I having a conversation with a 16-year old atheist?

^_-

It isn't an academic question, it's an idiotic question. God can't die, so your first concept is meaningless.

For starters, this was an academic question to begin with, done more for entertainment value than anything else. I've never been a very serious person, humor is my sword, and I'm less inclined to be serious on the internet than in real life.

Second, you seem to be focusing on what 'your' idea of god is. If you can come up with a magic telescope so we can look up at god's house and make a new reality TV show, then maybe 'you' can explain why and why not. No one else can. We're discussing what's pretty much an abstract idea. As such, all sorts of ideas can be attatched to it. That's one of the reasons religion is so prevailent.

At any rate, I don't recall ever stating that god is 'eternal', that's an idea tacked on by a particular faith. That's an assumption you made on your own. The sun and stars will eventually burn out and implode [or explode], why not god? Even assuming that his 'life span' is longer. The Norse Gods weren't immortal, Greek Gods knew they would eventually be destroyed as well. Being 'eternal' isn't a requirement for being a 'god'.

As for my invocation of the 'christian' mentality on the subject. This is exchristian.net after all, I was a former christian, and those are the ideals I'm most familiar with.

You seem sure of the imaginary invisible everything's desires and wants for some reason as well.

Also, you sound very angry, very much like most theist discussing such issues tend to get after a short period of calm discussion.

My real point was, in my view, the world as it is very much reflects there not being a God around, either any more, or not to begin with.

I'm trying to remember what episode of Star Trek it was that the purely rational and logical Mr. Spock called someone a fucktard? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that one. :twitch:

I'm trying to remember what episode of Star Trek it was that the purely rational and logical Mr. Spock called someone a fucktard? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that one. :twitch:

HA!

:lmao:

Oh sorry...that just hit me funny.

This one just sort of hit me while I was browsing through the thread again.

Comprehending the scope of something is the definition of measuring. It's the reason you do it. It is, quite literally, what measuring -is-.

You MUST remember it... it was a classic, and all but unique in the series. They beam down to a planet. A guy in a red shirt, who we'd never seen before, dies. Kirk romances an alien Princess, who is all but leaving tongue marks on the floor cos he's so HOT and he ends up fighting her betrothed, during which he loses his shirt... he wins, but doesn't kill him. The part referenced was the humorous aside at the end... McCoy has said something about logic and Spock calls him a fucktard and Kirk smirks, while whimsical music plays and Spock arches an eyebrow...

You MUST remember it... it was a classic, and all but unique in the series. They beam down to a planet. A guy in a red shirt, who we'd never seen before, dies. Kirk romances an alien Princess, who is all but leaving tongue marks on the floor cos he's so HOT and he ends up fighting her betrothed, during which he loses his shirt... he wins, but doesn't kill him. The part referenced was the humorous aside at the end... McCoy has said something about logic and Spock calls him a fucktard and Kirk smirks, while whimsical music plays and Spock arches an eyebrow...

I only remeber one episode of Star Trek that my dad showed me when I was 8, and it followed EXACTLY that formula. Minus the "fucktard" part.

shinyshatner.jpg

I'm going through the Pon Farr.

Before I read your reply, Darth, let me apologize for my words. Antlerman, thank you for pointing out my rudeness. I've been in a bad mood for the past couple of days and shouldn't take it out on my fruitful discussions here.

I'm going through the Pon Farr.

Before I read your reply, Darth, let me apologize for my words. Antlerman, thank you for pointing out my rudeness. I've been in a bad mood for the past couple of days and shouldn't take it out on my fruitful discussions here.

No offence taken. I'm pretty sharp with some of my replies myself. I sometimes put humor ahead of clarity and politeness in my posts as well. That sometimes leads to a biting responce. :)

It would be exactly the same as it now and has been forever because there is no God.

For starters, this was an academic question to begin with, done more for entertainment value than anything else. I've never been a very serious person, humor is my sword, and I'm less inclined to be serious on the internet than in real life.

Second, you seem to be focusing on what 'your' idea of god is. If you can come up with a magic telescope so we can look up at god's house and make a new reality TV show, then maybe 'you' can explain why and why not. No one else can. We're discussing what's pretty much an abstract idea. As such, all sorts of ideas can be attatched to it. That's one of the reasons religion is so prevailent.

At any rate, I don't recall ever stating that god is 'eternal', that's an idea tacked on by a particular faith. That's an assumption you made on your own. The sun and stars will eventually burn out and implode [or explode], why not god? Even assuming that his 'life span' is longer. The Norse Gods weren't immortal, Greek Gods knew they would eventually be destroyed as well. Being 'eternal' isn't a requirement for being a 'god'.

As for my invocation of the 'christian' mentality on the subject. This is exchristian.net after all, I was a former christian, and those are the ideals I'm most familiar with.

You seem sure of the imaginary invisible everything's desires and wants for some reason as well.

Also, you sound very angry, very much like most theist discussing such issues tend to get after a short period of calm discussion.

My real point was, in my view, the world as it is very much reflects there not being a God around, either any more, or not to begin with.

If you're just talking about "God" with no specific context, then your entire question is meaningless anyways.

If you're just talking about "God" with no specific context, then your entire question is meaningless anyways.

I suppose maybe so. God is an abstract imaginary idea though. Specific context is kind of a misnomer with it. I suppose you could go with the literal bible version, or Allah, or any number of creators from all sorts of religions. Supreme Being means little more than the bigest stick on the block when it comes down to it. Besides, if God could die, why would he tell us?

If God did exist, I wouldn't view him as particularly honest, or caring.