Goodbye Jesus

Organizing A Fight-the-fundy Foundation

R. S. Martin

It seems your problem is that you don't know what you want. You want to go after Christians but you don't know how to defeat them? What exactly is it that you want to do? Stop them talking about Jesus? Eliminate Christianity completely? IS Christianity the only religion you want to attack or would you also go after Judaism and all the other religions? I've noticed that a lot of posters (who say they're atheist) only want to go after Christians but support the other religions. There seems to be a racist or discriminative motive in a lot of "atheists" projections.

Why not incorporate yourself as an independent entity? Make it a non-profit if you like. Other than that, if you want a "share your ideas" website with contributors answering the question of what worked/didn't work for their interacting with Christians, it's already a done deal; you're on one of such websites/forum here now. And there are many more interactive forums listed above for your investigating.

Also, if you think you're being discriminated against in job, business or other places, there are legal remedies you can discover. Try findlaw.com or even the ACLU. Can you be more specific in just what it is that you want?

Let me also add that I'm very happy and contented with being an exChristian and present day atheist. I don't hide and creep around the issue of my non belief. I don't feel it necessary to join any groups be they affiliated with known non religious organizations etc. I argue points of consideration with both atheists and religious groups. What do you think you could offer me better than what I have now, myself? (independence)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R. S. Martin

• Grandpa Harley

• Mankey

• Jun

Skeptical Believer, I see you joined. Thanks so much! I felt in total shock to discover that so much was lost. It's very encouraging to see people coming back and new ones joining up.

Re the questions asked by people on what I want--visit FFFR Forums and you can see. The link is in my signature of this post. The relevant post at the moment is the one I posted last night. The other stuff was earlier and is totally out-dated by now.

It is too early to know how things will turn out but the site will go on. We are looking at/working on solutions.

Skeptical Believer, I see you joined. Thanks so much! I felt in total shock to discover that so much was lost. It's very encouraging to see people coming back and new ones joining up.

Re the questions asked by people on what I want--visit FFFR Forums and you can see. The link is in my signature of this post. The relevant post at the moment is the one I posted last night. The other stuff was earlier and is totally out-dated by now.

It is too early to know how things will turn out but the site will go on. We are looking at/working on solutions.

I read your intro there. And I thought I had it bad...

I can be a real ignorant dick. You are my fucking hero. You are definitely a surviver and a smart one at that.

Thanks Mankey! I will post updates on the Announcements on FFFR Forums. Looks like it will be up and down today.

UP-DATE

http://www.fightingfundamentalism.org is up and running. Many thanks to all of you who joined. What exists today is, we hope, only the beginning. Up-grades are part of the plan, plus much more. Time, I have learned, cannot be bought for either love or money.

Thanks for updating that.

I'm always looking for another way to fight the religious right and fundies.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another update. I'm not sure what happened but the forum seems to be closed down; the error message says the account has been suspended. I contacted hostgator and they couldn't find any trace of it. Several people from exC were on it. I will send pms to the people I know were registered. If I missed anybody, please feel free to contact me via pm. This project will go on. I am looking at Plans B and C.

I do believe that the world and especially America needs some klind of "Ex-fundamentalist Christian" organization, that actually has a presense beyond internet. I.e. We show up at places, meetings, cities, etc. I just don't know how many of us there really are. I even fantasize about an "Ex-Christian television network" someday. I do think it is possible for a Theocratic dictatorship, with military support, to fuck up the entire world all over again. I personally feel Christianity in it's fundamentalist perversion needs to be stamped out somehow. Just assuming reasonable rational people will win out is naive. Only like 20% of Americans believe in evolution. Something like 80% believe in the Bible. The military leans in the direction of the Republican party, which is at least partly controlled by the Evangelical/Fundamentalists. Thinking we could never be under a Christian Theocratic Tryanny is very naive.

I feel a bit nervous about this. I'm not sure if Dave the webmaster approves. Yet, in my opinion, it would seem in line with the purposes of this forum.

I have also given some thought on where to post it. Rants and Replies? Naw, this is not exactly a rant. Totally Off Topic? I almost put it there but then I looked at the "off topic" topics and this seems more on topic than off. So I looked again at the criteria for ExChristian Life. Here it is, copied directly from the index page (emphasis added):

A forum to discuss how ex-Christians have dealt with family members,
replaced the church as a place of community
, reactions of your family, friends, church, acquaintances upon learning of the de-conversion,
or anything else relevant to the Ex-Christian Life

I think the parts I bolded here come pretty close to what this post is about so I'm putting it here for the time being.

This conversation started here, Posts 44 and 48, to be precise. Two of us agreed that "divide and conquor" might be a good strategy. But HOW do we go about doing this? That's the Big Question. We're not organized like the National Association of Evangelicals to do anything major, and we're not "joiners" like church people. It was noted that Christians have been at each other for centuries and they're still here, strong as ever. On that note...

Last fall I wrote up a letter that I sent out via email to a number of people who are fighting fundamentalism. I had this idea that we need a central information station. I thought perhaps all the existing "fight-the-fundy" groups could somehow have a central info station and somehow or other cooperate in this attempt. This was not a clearly articulated idea at the time and the few people who responded said something along the lines of this: I don't know what more I can do than I am doing.

Didn't sound like anyone was interested in organizing anything. With the internet at our disposal, I don't think we need a National Organization of Non-Christians or whatever. Also, we are spread all over the world, just like Christianity, so we can't organize into a national organization. However, we can organize into a world-wide something or other. And it doesn't have to be formal.

Anybody got an idea on how to move this thing out of the "dream" phase into actual reality without us changing our basic identities? Like Woodsmoke said, we're not joiners. Yet several thousand of us have joined exC. (Don't tell me the other two thousand folks I don't know are xians posing as exCs.) This group is over three thousand strong. It can't be the case that nobody's got an idea.

We've got a lot of brilliant brains on here. Let's get these brains a-storming and see what we can come up with. We've got to move us non-Christians into a position where it is at least safe for us to say out loud and in public that we are not Christians. By safe I mean not only on the level that no one will pull a gun on us but also that our jobs won't be in jeopardy and that there will not be hatemail in our inboxes and mailboxes.

Now for the Christians who think they are being persecuted, just back off a bit. Give it some really deep thought. Might there be a reason that we are saying these sorts of things? For example, if you didn't try to rule what can and cannot be taught in public schools, might we perhaps not be quite so seriously concerned? How about you not try to impose your religion on the courthouse steps or wherever. Take down your public displays and references to religion. Live like the NT church did--in secret and behind closed doors.

Celebrate the Winter Solstice if you want to keep a high holiday in December--after all, the space monsters have not quite managed to eat the sun yet--now isn't that something to celebrate? The earth still exists and so does its human population. See? There's lots of stuff to celebrate and put on your front lawns and in your stores and business places. Doesn't have to be the baby jesus stuck everywhere.

We atheists are not going to kill you for your faith like the Romans did. It's you Christians who are killing us in various ways. Just stop. Please.

Here's another update. I'm not sure what happened but the forum seems to be closed down; the error message says the account has been suspended. I contacted hostgator and they couldn't find any trace of it. Several people from exC were on it. I will send pms to the people I know were registered. If I missed anybody, please feel free to contact me via pm. This project will go on. I am looking at Plans B and C.

We're working on the case. The data can be recovered. Watch for updates here.

Seems bloody strange...

Seems bloody strange...

Yes. It does seem strange.

Fundamentalism is by accident a useful tool to politicians.

Not only that but it sounds like perhaps someone is discriminating based on faith and that is why the forum had "problems".

• 2 weeks later...
Seems bloody strange...

Yes. It does seem strange.

Fundamentalism is by accident a useful tool to politicians.

Not only that but it sounds like perhaps someone is discriminating based on faith and that is why the forum had "problems".

This has occured to me, too. However, that does not fit the picture. Brother Jeff has been using Hostgator for his Religion/Christianity is Bullshit sites for some time and he didn't have "problems." I think I know what went wrong though I have no evidence.

Hostgator tells me their records show that the account came due July 26, 2007. That is about when we set up our account. According to that, we were operating on an overdrawn account for three weeks. This seemed technologically impossible to me so I challenged the agent about it. He suggested that the system was that far behind. Brother Jeff thinks his father renewed the account this year. His father was on vacation and could not be contacted. All I know for sure is that the forums no longer exist and I have set up on freewebs and freeforums.

The website is still under construction but you can see what direction we're going with it. The forums are ready to go. See this thread for updated information.

Many thanks to Dave the Webmaster for allowing me to use his forums to organize and announce this project, and to discuss the related problems. Not all webmasters are this generous. THANK YOU!