Goodbye Jesus

Feminine Companionship With An Infected.

Llwellyn

Would you date a person who self-described as a Christian? Would you marry someone who believed in the divinity of Jesus? Suppose a person was quite liberal and not fundamentalist -- would you involve yourself with her if she was still infected to a degree with the religion?

Would you date a person who self-described as a Christian? Would you marry someone who believed in the divinity of Jesus? Suppose a person was quite liberal and not fundamentalist -- would you involve yourself with her if she was still infected to a degree with the religion?

Depends how much of a pain in the ass she was about it...

I'd be too worried that at some point she'd be persuaded to go from liberal to fundy, or find some issue that was insurmountable that would cause strife even if she remained liberal, made worse by any children we might have.

I'd be too worried that at some point she'd be persuaded to go from liberal to fundy, or find some issue that was insurmountable that would cause strife even if she remained liberal, made worse by any children we might have.

There was never any hassle over either my brother's or mine religious upbringing, despite Mum beign Methodist and Dad being RCC...

In fact, with me, the issues were insurmountable so they never tried...

My ex wife, an amazing woman, was christian and attended church every Sunday. We were married for ten years and that was never a problem. Her mother was a problem though.

eh, both your parents were religious, and of christianity at that. Truth, I've seen plenty of people on this site who's marriages have been fucked over the subject of religion. I also recall my father and stepmother having issues with my father's general apostasy at first, and of his growing involvement with the NOI later on, which was a definite departure from his childhood religion of christianity. It wasn't horrible, but it could have been worse. I've seen stories of people who suddenly became 'more religious' seemingly out of nowhere-- I've seen that happen in real time myself-- and their new goals became incompatible with the way the marriages worked. Of course, I probably wouldn't marry a non-christian either, so I guess my opinion isn't worth much here.

eh, both your parents were religious, and of christianity at that. Truth, I've seen plenty of people on this site who's marriages have been fucked over the subject of religion. I also recall my father and stepmother having issues with my father's general apostasy at first, and of his growing involvement with the NOI later on, which was a definite departure from his childhood religion of christianity. It wasn't horrible, but it could have been worse. I've seen stories of people who suddenly became 'more religious' seemingly out of nowhere-- I've seen that happen in real time myself-- and their new goals became incompatible with the way the marriages worked. Of course, I probably wouldn't marry a non-christian either, so I guess my opinion isn't worth much here.

There speaks someone who has little idea about the schism of 'mixed' marriages from both the Methodist and RCC side.

They didn't manage to raise a Chrisitan between them, since neither Mycroft nor I were convincable of the 'truth' of the faith... they tried my elder sibling on both religions and he regarded it as a waste of Sunday. They never bothered with me since I was asking questions that was making them question their faith before I went to school and when at school it just caused trouble... I was raised 'Christian' but never, ever believed it... There again, Santa Claus was something I cannot recall being convinced of... I knew my dad worked hours of overtime to make our Xmases special... I couldn't see what Santa added, but adults seemed to get a kick out of so I went along...

NO x 3.

I know about Meth and RCC. I'm not saying it's impossible, in fact I know of a few that have worked--Well, RCC and some protestant sect, not sure it was Methodist, but there's a few around here, I know it. At any rate --I'm watching House by the way, the man is a freakin' god-- I'm not even calling it uncommon, just a risk factor, and besides, the problem could well end up being mine; I might have too much of a problem being married to such a person, especially if they were outspoken about their views and yet refused to engage in conversation. I would also say that forgiveness for ones 'faults' is easier on the whole when the fault is thinking the same thing differently, even for Catholics and Protestants. Of course me marrying my closest possible match is a bigger if than the question of me going to heaven if there's a hell, so maybe I might give it a shot one day.

Guest Tyranthraxus

Depends how seriously she took the "no sex before marriage" part of the Bible. Or, even if she does take it seriously, if she had weak willpower, then I could see that as quite fun. Especially if she was a virgin and i could "corrupt" her.

It depends... does she put out?

Depends on the person of course. Most women with whom I've ever been were christian, of the liberal kind though. I was myself such a christian, but a number of my views had (and still have) much more in common with atheism than the cult. Aside from one single case religion never entered into the equation of the relationship... and that one case was about a girl with serious mental issues (which I realized too late) trying to escape into the church's la la land.

As for now... if she would be willing to involve herself with a crazed Asatruar barbarian like me, why should I shy back from her in turn? ;)

As for fundies of course... I would touch them exactly one way - with my clenched fist, right in the middle of their faces :pureevil: (Just kidding - no physical violence unless absolutely necessary)

(Note to self - really need to visit an old friend of mine I didn't see for about 10 years, until recently. She's Wiccan and married to a christian ;) )

I also think that it would boil down to how said person was in regards to the liberal flavor of Xianity. But I would also be concerned that that liberal attitude could be persuaded to become more extreme and severe at some point. With all the emphasis on zealotry in Xianity, as well as all of the nasty shit in the Babble, even your most liberalized forms of the deathcult still contain the possiblity to get real ugly, real fast.

Personally, I don't think I could establish a relationship with even a liberal Xian, especially because of my iconoclastic, freethinking Pagan disposition. That, and the deep hatred I harbor for Xianity period, a hatred I usually don't mind expressing. That would create rifts with most people rather quickly, I'd think.

Personally, I wouldn't marry someone that was in the xtian cult. Of course I also don't see nothing wrong in having multiple partners.

Just a thought before I go to work, didn't the whole marriage thing start with religion anyway?

A very liberal Christian, not a fundamentalist. I find that liberal christians are on their way to deconversion...So that would be no problem. But an infidel and a fundamentalist will not mesh well.

The couple of times I dated church-going Christians were complete mistakes. The last one seemed OK, but freaked on me at one point. It was the last time I dated someone who felt the need to call themselves Christian, as part of their definition of themselves.

I think that is the point, does she use the term as a definition of herself (like, "I'm a college student", "I'm a lawyer", "I'm a follower of Christ", " I'm a football player", "I'm a stay at home mom"). If her self definition was first and formost "I'm a Christian", I know I'd be out of there so fast.

I spent 5 months in a comfortable relationship with a divorced christian lady who only tryed to convert me once, The first time we met.

I said no, and she stoped and stared for a moment, Then she saw me as I realy am.

A working musician and singer/songwriter with a social concience, And a fully complete human being.

So she asked me up to her place for coffee and leftover pasta.

She had motown records.

I put on a Marvin Gaye record.

We danced.

Then she threw herself at me and proceded to fuck my brains out.

I was surprised, But it was cool.

She took me to the ballet and the theatre.

I took her to the pub and the folk festival.

It was fun, But it was also very temporary.

Remember that...

... Its temporary.

I am married to a Christian, and my Erus is a believer in the old Roman gods. Sometimes I think they are both nuts, but their belief is not a problem. Honestly I think my DH's belief is not a problem because of who he is, which I think is what it boils down to in all marriages, and relationships. If the person is genuine with you, isn't preaching and looking at you as a mission field then yes it could work. If they are disgenuien I don't care what they believe I wouldn't be with them.

I'd like to marry my girlfriend within 2 years. Even though I wouldn't appreciate her turning christian, I wouldn't stop loving her and it wouldn't change our plans, as long as she wouldn't try to make me believe absurdities or try to justify the immoral atrocities.

But she's not that kind of person anyway so theres virtually no chance she would ever convert.

Would you date a person who self-described as a Christian?

No

Would you marry someone who believed in the divinity of Jesus?

No

Suppose a person was quite liberal and not fundamentalist -- would you involve yourself with her if she was still infected to a degree with the religion?

No. Just makes things simpler to avoid any links with xtianity. Come to think of it, I haven't felt attracted to anyone i know is muslim/xtian background, no matter how liberal.

I don't seem to mind refrom judaism, though.

In my wild days, a female with a pulse was about all it took... but I confess that marriage was so far down my agenda that it caught fire due to geothermal heat...

A "Christmas and Easter" type Christian I could probably tolerate. That sort obviousily doesnt take the Christian faith very seriously.

Religion is a psychological problem which causes something very similar to split personalities. Being involved with someone who has been infected is in fact being involved with their "normal" self and their "religious" self. There is absolutely nothing you can do to eliminate that religious personality, only they can do that for themselves (and only if they want to). You can help them to see things differently, but you will always be at war with them as long as they believe. Jesus did give one successful, albeit obvious, prediction that I won't even consider to be a "prophecy". He said that he came to cause division. Christianity has done just that, not only by damaging relationships, but by also causing division within each person.

You may take on this challenge if you want, but it will be one of the most difficult things you ever do and it will prevent you from becoming all you can be. If you choose to do it, I would suggest that you do it for the other person and vow never to give up the fight no matter how difficult it becomes.

As for myself, I married a Christian while I was still a Christian myself and she is still a stubborn believer today, so I am unwillingly in this situation. I don't know how it will turn out, but it's presently very frustrating, exhausting, and depressing. I would never willingly take on this type of challenge and don't recommend it to anyone else. My advice is to save yourself some heartache by being involved with freethinkers only.