Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TexasFreethinker

Why Do You Remain A Christian?

It's not just feelings. In fact, it's rarely feelings because if I went by my feelings, I'm not so sure I would have stayed. I guess that's not entirely true. It has it's ups and downs like any relationship. I have also walked away from Christianity before for a good length of time and had absolutely no peace. You could argue that on many levels but I can tell you that the moment I returned to my faith, I knew I was where I was suppose to be.

... Being a male. The competition to find female companionship to me, gives this to me a whole different experience. That being in the faith was a lot more frustrating to me. God needs to offer equal rights and fairness to the male species.

By the way....that whole detour in my faith came from asking one simple little question........."What if Jesus was not really the Son of God?"

I know the feelings you speak of but it's not why I stay. I believe that the Word of God is the Truth. I believe there are many locations, places, other writings to support what the Bible says. That's one reason.

The other reason is, though my relationship with Christ is often one of wrestling, I do sense his very presence within me but that is something that is impossible to explain to someone else.

It's a combination of many things. If it was only one thing......it wouldn't be enough.

Tap

God has got to stop being selfish. Needs to provide female compionship to the male species.

Perhaps the core to all of this is dependent on one's definition of God? Maybe ALL "faiths" (including atheism) of good heart and search for the Truth hold a piece of God.   :scratch:

Finding God for me is exploring inwardly to the core of who I am, that there is something that exists in connection to EVERYONE and EVERYTHING else. That part that connects all things, that from which all things came out of, that causes one to realize all is one.... God.   :grin:

Buddhist speak of the power of God, the consiousness of God, and the divine rapture of God. Maybe this is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Some seek the Truth, some seek what is beneficial for one's self... and I like this site as it seems that the folks here are wise and seeking the Truth, not popular beliefs, in a consciousness manner.  According to my insights of God, it might just be that there are more people full of God on this site  :HappyCry:   than most organized religous arenas to which I've been exposed  :Hmm: .  "We know them by their fruits." My interpretation and beliefs of the BIBLE are very much in line with those that are here  :close: ... and doesn't refute my faith and position as a Christian.

Amanda. If there is a god the deists god seems more reasonable to me, second would be the generic angnostic theists who see god doesn't play favorites and wants us to experience life by making mistakes as well as enjoying successes? These kinds of deists though kind of silly to me, but still make more sense than bible worshiping people. You seem to be one of these deists. Christian Deist? Is that what you are Amanda? Hindu Deist? I don't understand you. Either you do not take scripture seriousy or you are like a gnostic kinda, in that you look for hidden meanings. I don't know really. You leave me with so many questions.

To make sure what kind of theist you are I would ask: is the bible the word of god or is it the writings of men who were sometimes in tune with thier inner light that god instilled in them. Having access to divine from within when they weren't being judgemental or hateful in thier writings? Is that book god breathed or the invention of men who at times were in tune with an inner light at times in thier writings? Also do you believe that god sometimes does miracles for people regardless of thier religion?

Perhaps the core to all of this is dependent on one's definition of God? Maybe ALL "faiths" (including atheism) of good heart and search for the Truth hold a piece of God.

This is entirely possible. However, this would then make the Bible and Christianity false, because the Bible says Christ is the only god.

I would think that if anything divine existed, it would be above humans' interpretation of what god is supposed to be like. Religions are just a way for humans to speculate on what god is like. The problem is when religions say that their interpretation is the only one that matters.

This is entirely possible.  However, this would then make the Bible and Christianity false, because the Bible says Christ is the only god.

I would think that if anything divine existed, it would be above humans' interpretation of what god is supposed to be like.  Religions are just a way for humans to speculate on what god is like.  The problem is when religions say that their interpretation is the only one that matters.

She leaves me with so many question about her brand of theism.

She leaves me with so many question about her brand of theism.

I do?

I'm agnostic, not theist. I'm willing to entertain the possibility of a god, but not much more than that, since we haven't proven its existence yet.

I do?

I'm agnostic, not theist.  I'm willing to entertain the possibility of a god, but not much more than that, since we haven't proven its existence yet.

No Amanda does. She can't be a serious book worshiping theist like the Christians.

I know you are not a theist of any kind.

Guest vanesa
Jesus is my hero - and I really need one - cause not even I make a good enough role model to myself satisfied.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YOu sound like a doped up telemarketer, SOIL. Have you actually read what you just said in this quote? You sound like you're on PCP and seeing faces on the walls or something. (BTW, you like one of the car salesmen that works for a car dealership in my town. Have you considered working for a dealership? Also, I have a fashion tip for you. Color your beard neon purple and hair neon pink. Then you might catch people's attention during church.) dc

I say that Xtianity is stinky because I abhor it. Have you and the other Xtians read my posts? You'll see why I hate Xtianity.

Jesus is NOT GOD. Live with it. He even says in the Bible he's not god. In the last part of I think it's Matthew or one of the NT comic books he says bluntly "look, I ain't God. I got flesh and bones just like you do. Now shut up and let me have my fish!"

And from what I heard, John the Baptist was a pimp.

No Amanda does. She can't be a serious book worshiping theist like the Christians.

Well, it's not all that uncommon among liberal Christians, actually. Some of my friends who call themselves Catholic think like that. They just haven't yet realized that they've disproved their own belief system.

May I join?

After reading Vanesa’s vents, I don’t want to be like, “Phew! Luckily I did not label myself as Christian, I escaped Vanesa’s cannons. Ha!” Regardless of what I believe, I shall bear Vanesa’s remarks together.

Vanesa, no offenses taken, however.

About my belief as a theist:

Although I had brief readings in Philosophy of Religion, if I were to argue with atheist members technically about the existence of God, I am not going to win. Atheist members are well versed. In addition, I am not good at debates.

I am a theist because of personal experience. Not that my life has been smooth and easy. My life, just like most of the people, has ups and downs. During the waves, the best I could do is to cope with it, work on it.

Now that when I look back at those waves and points, it is like it was ‘designed’ without my knowing the time I was experiencing the events. Simply speaking from earlier on, without this point, then I would not have been to that point; and from that point, that led to another point.

Say, about two or three points ahead of each point, I would never have imagined the 3rd, 4th point from where I was standing, would turn out the way it was.

Thank you for giving a space for me to share.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YOu sound like a doped up telemarketer, SOIL. [Edited]

Wow....

chris_farley.gif

I think you need to calm way the fuck down. It is understandable that you are bitter towards Christianity, but you are still going to have to deal with it, whether you like it or not. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY likes to hear bitching of ANY kind, from a Christian or an Atheist.

You aren't going to go very far with an attitude like that in a world with a Christian at every turn.

I'd like to repeat what I said in the beginning of this thread...

In the spirit of understanding (rather than debating), I'd like to ask another question of the Christians who are members or guests of this site.

I think it's everyone's right to come to their own conclusion about christianity (even when I don't agree with that conclusion.) I was hoping that this thread would be a place that the christians on this site could explain why/how they hold their beliefs without being attacked for their responses. I did this because I genuinely would like to know where they're coming from - what they are seeing or hearing or feeling that I'm not.

I request that anyone wanting to attack someone for his or her christian beliefs do so in another thread. Please keep this thread civil.

Thanks,

TF

When I rave, I don't just go halfway. :HaHa:

When it comes to logic, I fail miserably.  :HappyCry:

Did you just use logic there? Damn! You know logic after all!

You were just trying to fool us!

:lmao:

I think it's everyone's right to come to their own conclusion about christianity (even when I don't agree with that conclusion.)  I was hoping that this thread would be a place that the christians on this site could explain why/how they hold their beliefs without being attacked for their responses.  I did this because I genuinely would like to know where they're coming from - what they are seeing or hearing or feeling that I'm not.

I request that anyone wanting to attack someone for his or her christian beliefs do so in another thread. Please keep this thread civil.

Thanks,

TF

Hi, TF.

Do you have further questions?

Tap

Hi, TF.

Do you have further questions?

Tap

TAP,

No questions for you :) - I think you've given the basis for your belief, unless there's more you want to say.

I would be interested in hearing from all the other Christians on the site who haven't answered so far.

"No questions for you - I think you've given the basis for your belief, unless there's more you want to say."

Nope.....nothing else to say. I was just making sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks.

Tap

Wow....

chris_farley.gif

I think you need to calm way the fuck down. It is understandable that you are bitter towards Christianity, but you are still going to have to deal with it, whether you like it or not. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY likes to hear bitching of ANY kind, from a Christian or an Atheist.

You aren't going to go very far with an attitude like that in a world with a Christian at every turn.

She's a bad influence on me. Her first comment got me going. It's all her fault. hehe. It does feel good to try and slam Christians, but I think I regret some of what I did....but not everything I did.

Tap and SOIL are pretty decent people as fundies go. Thats an understatement. I think we got a better class of Christians that are regulars here at E-C than I see in RT. They may be dodgers who prance about in fantasy land, but they are still good sports when it comes to the toungue lashings dished out here.

Still, I enjoy some of vanesa's posts to Christians. I can't help it. I want to treat Christians like that sometimes even though a few of them don't deserve some of the things said to them. Some of the things that is. It is possible to like people who you think are perpetuating bigotry when you realize that they just can't see how they are connected with what the asshole fundies do. Not while they are wearing thier jesus glasses anyways.

It is possible to like people who you think are perpetuating bigotry when you realize that they just can't see how they are connected with what the asshole fundies do.

I don't think so, personally. But then, my Christian friends are cherry-pickers who agree that bigotry is wrong, and they are more Universalist than not in their beliefs.

I don't think so, personally.  But then, my Christian friends are cherry-pickers who agree that bigotry is wrong, and they are more Universalist than not in their beliefs.

The way I see it even they are connected so long as they keep saying that the bible is the word of god. They aare lumped together with other christians in America when it comes to polls. Also they perpetuate the lie, the hurtful and damaging lie that the bible is the word of god. When Christians stop doing that I'll feel a lot better about things.

Guest vanesa

Well, Universalists are borderline better than most of the other denominations, but they still are a bunch of buffoons.

No, I probably will not calm down towards Xtians or the like. Yes, it's unfortunate that our country is infested with them. Too bad we can't deport them. Unfortunately they are due Constitutional protection underneath the federal Constitution and most of the state Constitutions as well. However they have already woven much Biblical and theological law into our nation so we really don't live in a free country anyway.

I know that many of the people here on these forums mean well when they tell me to see a therapist, take pills, get a grip, etc. You won't change my opinions towards Xtians. I don't like them, and I probably won't for a long time.

Here's some food for thought: most auto insurance companies charge teens higher premiums versus their parents. WHy? Most teens can't drive well. A teen that runs up to the auto insurance company and says he is super responsable and doesn't drive fast and cries about it won't change the company's mind. Why? They consider him/her/it a dangerous driver and lump them in that risk group for a reason. This is why I treat Xtians the way I do. No matter all the crying and caterwauling about how a liberal/moderate/conservative/whatever Xtian loves their parents and is tolerant and caring and cuddly and sexy and whatever, that still doesn't get them special treatment from me. Until my feelings towards them get better, which ain't gonna be real soon, Xtians will not have the same rights or priviledges under my roof. If that sounds mean, I am actually being very nice to Xtians now. In Iran they will shoot you for being a Xtian, and I don't advocate for that to happen to a Xtian here in the US, regardless of how much I may hate them. Even if I didn't hate Xtians I still would have no choice but to restrict them. (I don't restrict Xtians only. I will restrict Muslims and Jews if they are too conservative or militant.)

Tap and SOIL are pretty decent people as fundies go. Thats an understatement. I think we got a better class of Christians that are regulars here at E-C than I see in RT. They may be dodgers who prance about in fantasy land, but they are still good sports when it comes to the toungue lashings dished out here.

Still, I enjoy some of vanesa's posts to Christians. I can't help it. I want to treat Christians like that sometimes even though a few of them don't deserve some of the things said to them. Some of the things that is. It is possible to like people who you think are perpetuating bigotry when you realize that they just can't see how they are connected with what the asshole fundies do. Not while they are wearing thier jesus glasses anyways.

Wow. That's a shocking post to me, DC.

I think the reason to believe is based on two of the wizards laws:

People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to be true or fear to be true.

Thie frist law to an extent. I don't believe Christians to be stupid but the rest is right...

Passion rules reason.

Law number tree is the true foundation.

Wow. That's a shocking post to me, DC.

The way I see it even they are connected so long as they keep saying that the bible is the word of god. They aare lumped together with other christians in America when it comes to polls. Also they perpetuate the lie, the hurtful and damaging lie that the bible is the word of god. When Christians stop doing that I'll feel a lot better about things.

When you finaly admit that the bible is in no way the word of a god, then and only then will you not be connected to the fundies that cause all the damage in the world. You are a nice person, and my philosophy is love the christian but hate the religion. Because of what is in the bible. I still stand by that. I am rational in my descrimination where you are not. Belief in the bible story is not rational and you are connected to the other fundies who cause trouble by supporting the lie that the bible is the word of a god. I feel crappy saying that, but I will from now on say what I feel is right.

To answer SOIL, I still weep for the state of humanity.  The world is not as it should be, in that you are completely justified.  But I also have a sincere conviction that it is up to humanity to fix these problems.   Relying on God to fix it all much later in history is a cop out, an excuse to conveniently ignore Jesus' calling to make the Kingdom of Heaven real on earth today.

pandora,

Even before I finished reading your last sentence, I was thinking about the part of The Lord's Prayer where Jesus teaches us to say we are interested in God's will (His Kingdom coming) here "on earth".

I think God wants us to be involved in answering our own prayers - and I think God offers us the help we will need in order to do that (I remember sharing some of my own 'personal testimony' about that concept in a post somewhere - but I'm not sure if it was on this new forum) ....

So, I guess in some ways, I both agree with you, regarding the need for humanity to fix these problems - while I also - I rely on God, because I believe without God's help, we humans are not capable of fixing our problems.

Btw Pandora - thanks for talking more to me , rather than mostly about me, because (perhaps contrary to public opinion), I ain't dead yet!

-Dennis

edited in :

I located that post (about God using people to answer prayers) with the search engine on the earlier Forum.

I think it's everyone's right to come to their own conclusion about christianity (even when I don't agree with that conclusion.)  I was hoping that this thread would be a place that the christians on this site could explain why/how they hold their beliefs without being attacked for their responses.  I did this because I genuinely would like to know where they're coming from - what they are seeing or hearing or feeling that I'm not.

Thanks,

TF

We WILL remain civil and tolerant in responding to this thread as TfT set out to do.

I will nuke_on_sight further spewages... This is a *discussion thread*, other places for we to go an drop a pants load elsewhere...

kL

Guest marktaylor
Still, I enjoy some of vanesa's posts to Christians. I can't help it. I want to treat Christians like that sometimes even though a few of them don't deserve some of the things said to them.

Me too.