Goodbye Jesus

Struggling With Alcohol

mick

I've gone 7 days without a beer or any alcohol without too much trouble! I had not gone a single day without at least 6 to 8 beers for months, and 7 days in a row is the longest I have gone since I deconverted for sure. So far so good.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Nice job Mick. I didn't expect you to go cold turkey like this. I thought you were doing well just to acknowledge that you may have a problem with it.

I smoke and I know that I'm addicted. I've tried to stop a couple of times but failed each time. Perhaps though one of these days I'll find the desire to really quit.

Anyway, more power to you Mick.

[derail] I quit smoking in January. *bares her teeth and growls* I've just now gotten to the point that I don't bite someone...every day. [/derail]

On point, quitting drinking gave me the courage to make some other changes in my life. Giving up booze was empowering..

[derail] I quit smoking in January. *bares her teeth and growls* I've just now gotten to the point that I don't bite someone...every day. [/derail]

I don't want to go too far off topic either Garnet, but yeah I understand what you mean. The times that I tried to quit smoking I was a irritable. It wasn't just hell for me; it was also hell for those around me.

Okay, I promise I'll try not to speak of that again in this thread.

I'm happy for you Mick! Good going!!

Woohoo! :woohoo: 7 days is good... keep us posted.

You can do it! You've done so well so far! I give you my heartiest congrats, and maintain that you are not powerless to your own will.

You rock!

Acoholism is -not- a disease.

Go ask someone with terminal cancer if they think Alcoholism is a disease.

If alcoholism is a disease, why isn't it treated like one?

Definition of Alcoholism

Alcoholism: Physical dependence on alcohol to the extent that stopping alcohol use will bring on withdrawal symptoms. In popular and therapeutic parlance, the term may also be used to refer to ingrained drinking habits that cause health or social problems. Treatment requires first ending the physical dependence, then making lifestyle changes that help the individual avoid relapse. In some cases, medication or hospitalization are needed. Alcohol dependence can have many serious effects on the brain, liver, and other organs of the body.

Diseases are contracted, treated by a doctor or other medical professional, and cannot be cured by willpower. Alcoholism's cure is willpower and self control, pure and simple. The medication involved just aleviate the aches and pains of withdrawl a little. It's no different than being an addict of any other drug. It is not a disiease.

The concept that it 'is' a disease was developed by AA, just as much as 'the only cure is God' [later changed to 'higher power' to avoid being classed as a religious program in the Gov.]

No disease can be cured by willpower or self control. What you have is a possibly physical, and definitely mental disorder. Even the genetic factor falls under the category of 'genetic disorder' not 'genetic disease.'

To put it bluntly, Alcoholism does not fit the definition medical or otherwise, of Disease.

Cancer is a disease, Aids is a disease, Leprocy is a disease, Bubonic Plague is a disease. Alcoholism, is not. It is a disorder, and spreading the harmful dogmatic misinformation propaganda of AA isn't helping matters. Alcoholism is a behavior pattern, and it can cause disease, such as problems with the liver, and brain in particular. As such, it is classed as a disorder medically.

You should seek help if you need it, drinking can be a serious problem for your life, family, and personal health. However, you may find the strength to deal with it yourself if you dig deep enough and make a real effort to deal with it. [stop buying beer, avoid places that sell it, even if it means going home alone and not hanging out with friends.]

If it's still not enough, I reccomend seeking out groups mentioned earlier in the thread without dogmatic bullshit. [AA and 12 step programs are just conversion centers preying on people at their weakest. It's disgusting.]

Good luck with your problem.