Goodbye Jesus

Unanswered Questions

Ramen666

Yes we are all ExChristians and have either became another religion or became atheist/agonstic. I am atheist, I admit I don't have all the answers, none of us do. Christians think as soon as we become atheist we have all the answeres. That is ironic isn't it. But I admit there is still things that bug me because I just don't know. Even exucsing all religion all together not all my questions are answered as being an atheist. I know a lot of you have got to have questions lingering. This site and numerous sites have shown me why Christianity is a bunch of bull. But I have to say there is still lingering questions that I think about, these questions are ones science has not came with a theory or somehwhat. Some questions is like how did this begin. Feel free to reply to the questions if you think you have answers to them and feel free to post your own questions.

This thread is to lets here some of those questions that are still lingering in your mind after you deconverted that still don't make since even though you have left the fold.

Here is some unanswered questions?

1. Why Jesus? Why did Jesus become known as the son of Gawd, there are plenty of people around in that time period. I just want to know how Jesus was actually picked? What signifigance is he? He does in fact appear in the Quaran again, a notable character but he is a high prophet. I just don't understand how he became as BIG as he is today.

2. Cretionism/Evolution *Organisms*- How is there male and female? How does that work out in science? Because something I must be missing. I know how it is done genetically but how did there become two of one organisms such has humans?

3. Why has Christianity lasted so long, the most followed, but the book itself is full of flaws. How can 1/3 of the word give in to the cult like this because the word love and God but the Bible clearly does not say what the preacher says.

4. Islam is Part 3 of the Bible? Why didn't Christians adopt that book, they are a part of Abrahmic religions but they disagree and hate each other. *What else is new?*

My only question is a science one, and probably unanswerable.

If our Universe has an end/edge; what's on the other side?

1. Why Jesus? Why did Jesus become known as the son of Gawd, there are plenty of people around in that time period. I just want to know how Jesus was actually picked? What signifigance is he? He does in fact appear in the Quaran again, a notable character but he is a high prophet. I just don't understand how he became as BIG as he is today.

The character Jebus of Nazareth, the figure around which Xianity is built, seems to me to have been invented out of both various Pagan myths about virgin-born saviors as well as the actual persons to have born the name "Jesus" during that time in Jewish history. The writers of the New Testament concocted this individual out of what they observed of the aforementioned and presto!

2. Cretionism/Evolution *Organisms*- How is there male and female? How does that work out in science? Because something I must be missing. I know how it is done genetically but how did there become two of one organisms such has humans?

Interesting question, but not terribly relevant. It's hard for me to imagine that the Abrahamic deity, who is depicted as thinking sex and sexuality is icky, would deliberately create us to require sexual activity to procreate.

The very existence and necessiaty of the sexual act disproves all Abrahamic cults.

3. Why has Christianity lasted so long, the most followed, but the book itself is full of flaws. How can 1/3 of the word give in to the cult like this because the word love and God but the Bible clearly does not say what the preacher says.

People are stupid?

Seriously, old habits are hard to break. Xianity was long-taught in Western civilization and despite the irrefutable volleys of criticism is has received, it has yet to take its final breath. I suppose a religion that can still exact a terrifying hold on people through fear dies but slowly.

4. Islam is Part 3 of the Bible? Why didn't Christians adopt that book, they are a part of Abrahmic religions but they disagree and hate each other. *What else is new?*

I think you know why; the Koran was not "revealed" to any of the big Xian sects but so yet another lone sheepherder, so this cult had a sort of independence, despite its claims about being the next step in the Abrahamic path. Naturally, when it reached Xian ears, it was seen as a challenger and a threat, and hence they accepted it not.

Anything else? ;)

Interesting question, but not terribly relevant. It's hard for me to imagine that the Abrahamic deity, who is depicted as thinking sex and sexuality is icky, would deliberately create us to require sexual activity to procreate.

The very existence and necessiaty of the sexual act disproves all Abrahamic cults.

It is funny of the hypocracy of this whole thing, I find it funny if God created us and made everything to have sex. Why is it icky for humans, to have sex. That makes Christianity really laughable.

But I am sorry you did not answer my question. This is more of a scientific question in a way. I know how male + female could equal male or female. But how does a creature, organism become male or female. This is one of those hard questions that I have been trying to figure out.

This may sound Christian, but excuse me on that let me just say how does object A, say a dog. It is just a dog but how did the dog become male and female. That is what I am talking about, this is really a confusing concept I think. Remember I am not talking genetics here, I am talking about say the first person on Earth was a man, how did the man become woman.

'

Damn this is like a paradox everything is backwards........

.... I am talking about say the first person on Earth was a man, how did the man become woman.

'

This Scientific American article might give you a partial answer. It explains a bit on why, but not how. Here's another article on why, but not how.

From what I remember from way back in college; sexual reproduction evolved pretty early. Whatever the dog evolved from was already reproducing sexually.

It all started soon after eukaryotes evolved a few billion years ago. They started alternating between haploid and diploid generations. Some just "stuck" in one form and could only reproduce when mated with one that got stuck in the other form. These are all very simple, multicellular, organisms that were what most everything else evolved from and whatever evolved from them reproduced sexually.

Did that help any?

.... I am talking about say the first person on Earth was a man, how did the man become woman.

'

This Scientific American article might give you a partial answer. It explains a bit on why, but not how. Here's another article on why, but not how.

From what I remember from way back in college; sexual reproduction evolved pretty early. Whatever the dog evolved from was already reproducing sexually.

It all started soon after eukaryotes evolved a few billion years ago. They started alternating between haploid and diploid generations. Some just "stuck" in one form and could only reproduce when mated with one that got stuck in the other form. These are all very simple, multicellular, organisms that were what most everything else evolved from and whatever evolved from them reproduced sexually.

Did that help any?

That does help a little, we are making progress at least. But something in that for me just does not fit for some reason. ( I don't know why) Because why does it work for everything? Dogs, Cats, Fish, anything that has male and female this concept works for. See what I mean about this? Something is just not fitting in for some reason, almost like religion. I don't buy EVERYTHING evolving like that, there has to be a better explanation for this.

*Runs and hides in corner*

I am thinking that this could not just be that simple, If Gawd didn't do it...how does this equal the same thing, it just poofed and just happend. That is what I don't get.

That does help a little, we are making progress at least. But something in that for me just does not fit for some reason. ( I don't know why) Because why does it work for everything? Dogs, Cats, Fish, anything that has male and female this concept works for.

That's because they all evolved from those early multicellular critters.

See what I mean about this? Something is just not fitting in for some reason, almost like religion. I don't buy EVERYTHING evolving like that, there has to be a better explanation for this.

No, they didn't evolve like that, they evolved FROM that. Sex doesn't always involve a penis and vagina. Plants reproduce sexually. They have male parts, the stamen, and female parts, the pistil.

*Runs and hides in corner*

I am thinking that this could not just be that simple, If Gawd didn't do it...how does this equal the same thing, it just poofed and just happend. That is what I don't get.

No, no poof. Just lots of time.

1. Why Jesus? Why did Jesus become known as the son of Gawd, there are plenty of people around in that time period.

2. Cretionism/Evolution *Organisms*- How is there male and female?

3. Why has Christianity lasted so long, the most followed, but the book itself is full of flaws.

1. You gotta decide on someone ;)

Honestly, the early childhood of the cult was far less monolithic than preachers today want you to think.

www.jesusneverexisted.com has good stuff on that.

2. Even bacteria can exchange genes. That we don't know all the intermediate steps, as you know of course, doesn't mean it can't happen ;)

3. For most of the cult's history people were ignorant of everything aside from what little their preachers taught them. There's a reason that da wholly babble has been copied in Latin exclusively for many centuries ;)

4. Considering that is-lame was based on the jebus cult, it's no surprise if christians view it as (kind of) a heresy, don'tcha think?

Jesus never existed. He was constructed from pagan myths, messiah prophecies and aspirations and excited hopes over 'spiritual truths' that people thought they'd realised. Like any good myth that makes sense when you're at a certain point of understanding (even if it later makes no sense whatsoever) the story took off like wildfire.

Asexual beings evolve more slowly than sexual beings, they also are less vulnerable to viruses. So those are the advantages of having males and females. As to how it happened - like most things of a biological nature a chance mutation in DNA gave rise to it and then it's benefits for survival of organisms meant that the sexual organisms became more succesful than the asexual organisms and that is why most organisms today are sexual. Some single celled creatures reproduce sexually, so it seems that this particular development has been with us for a very long time.

During the early years there were many 'books' followed by christians and interpretations of it were pretty free and easy. Hence the gnostics. The Roman empire, which spoke Latin, only lasted a short time after Christianity became its official religion and an 'official' version of the religion was enshrined in the creation of the canonical New Testament and the Council of Nicaea. During the Middle Ages in Europe christian services were held in Latin which was not spoken by the ordinary people anymore, so the words of the Bible actually remained unknown to many people. All they knew was the version told to them by the priests - so obviously many of the flaws and inconsistencies were concealed from the majority of people (you know how good a spin preachers can put on the whole thing).

When the Bible was finally translated into German, English and other European languages then people could read the Bible for themselves. This is how protestantism split from Catholism by the way. That was one of the first effects. It of course wasn't long before the Bible began to be discredited by many people - some of them scholars who subjected the text to analysis, concluding that a lot of it was written a long time after the events described and some of the books have been revised and added to (some books of the Bible are even forgeries - like some of the letters in the New Testament not actually by the people the claim to be written by).

Two responses kept Christianity going after these bombshells. One was fundamentalism that continued to claim that science and Biblical scholarship was bogus and of the devil and that the Bible was the literal word of God and was faultlessly true. The other was the liberal christian movement who could see metaphor and mythology in the Bible, they could also see faults because those books were written by many different and flawed human beings ('inspired' by God but still putting things in their own words and sometimes their own opinions and not God's) - but it was the overall 'gist' of the Bible that mattered and the message behind the myths and metaphors. In other words you need to interpret the words yourself and use both research and your own intelligence and a little bit of spiritual sensitivity too.

Both these strategies (putting fingers in your ears and going "la! la! la! Can't hear you!" while hiding your head in the sand and over-justifying a clearly flawed and twisted book by arguing everything away that is troublesome as either symbolic and metaphorical or else not inspired by God and just mankind's opinion) have worked pretty well for increasing christianity's shelf-life so far. But personally i think that christianity's days are numbered.

Different part of the world - different political climate - different cultural heritage. The version of Christianity that survived in the Middle East was Gnosticism. Also the Roman Empire soon lost its grip on that part of the world. When the Roman Empire crumbled its legacy mostly survived in Europe and not in North Africa or the Middle East. Christianity had already persecuted the fuck out of the gnostics anyway. Various forms of gnosticism (ideas that Jesus was a man first and only became divine when filled with the Holy Spirit during baptism, ideas that the real spiritual Jesus was not crucified on the cross but an illusionary Jesus was crucified instead) influenced Islam and resulted in the idea that Jesus was just a prophet and not God and that he didn't die on the cross. Obviously this was deeply offensive to Christians so they wouldn't have accepted it.

Besides the Middle East and Europe were very different parts of the world in the Middle Ages and didn't have a lot to do with each other. The crusades were the first time the two cultures clashed in a big way - and they've been clashing ever since.

I've read a lot of history books :grin:

Physics isn't really my subject but from what little I understand I think that the Universe isn't supposed to have an actual edge. We only understand space and time from being in the middle of it so it's hard for us to understand but space and time (at least our space and time) only exist in the Universe so the idea that there is an 'edge' and something beyond it isn't quite accurate. I think it's something to do with the concepts of space and time only making sense when there is actual matter to have those kind of relations to each other.

One analogy I remember reading about is that the Universe is liked the surface of a balloon. As the balloon expands when you blow into it so does the Universe expand as a result of the Big Bang but there is no real 'edge' to the Universe. Apparently you could travel through the Universe and eventually come back to where you started.

So here's another question: why does everything in nature like to form balls or spheres?

What I really want to know is:

Will we ever invent Time Travel?

How will Time Travel work? will you be able to alter the past or are there physical laws that make it impossible for someone from the wrong time to alter what has already taken place?

Will we ever work out how to create and move through wormholes in Hyperspace so that we can travel faster than the speed of light by making use of spatial dimensions other than the three dimensions we are familiar with?

What is life like on other planets?

Of course these questions can't be answered and we must wait for the future before they can be answered. But I'm still very interested in the questions (you can tell I like science fiction, can't you?)

"why does everything in nature like to form balls or spheres?"

Least energy form outside a gravity field. Once equilibrium has been reached all the force vectors in the liquid cancel.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/fluids.htm

Physics isn't really my subject but from what little I understand I think that the Universe isn't supposed to have an actual edge. ...

I know all about that balloon explanation and all that, but there's more to it than that. My idea has to do with multiple "island" universes. And why would we make the assumption that this is the only universe? It seems that as we claim that our Universe is a certain size, we discover that's not right. First, long ago, we - the Earth - was the center of everything. Then we got displaced and they put the Sun in the center of everything. Then it was our galaxy. Everything was in our galaxy then we discovered other galaxies. Why can't there be other universes outside of ours?

So here's another question: why does everything in nature like to form balls or spheres?

Water wants to be as compact as it can get. A sphere is the most efficient way of doing that. It's the same for most other liquids. The Earth was formed as a liquid which explains why it's almost round (the Earth is an elliptical spheroid). As for other things, well, spheres are just darn efficient and easy to make.

Just to add a note: that the Earth is not perfectly round may be the reason we have such a strong magnetic field which creates a shield from the solar winds which makes it safe for life. Ain't nature awesome?

One analogy I remember reading about is that the Universe is liked the surface of a balloon. As the balloon expands when you blow into it so does the Universe expand as a result of the Big Bang but there is no real 'edge' to the Universe. Apparently you could travel through the Universe and eventually come back to where you started.

The only "edge" that is theorized in this would be the one preventing you from passing through the universe to the other side. Turn your balloon into an apple and then this is where the idea of "worm holes" come in. They would allow you to burrow through the center to another point instead of traveling around the edge as we do now.

mwc

Another question:

Time? If the Earth were to rotate in the opposite direction, would time go backwards.....? Does time exist in space or only on planets?

Another question:

Time? If the Earth were to rotate in the opposite direction, would time go backwards.....? Does time exist in space or only on planets?

Basically time is a measure of distance from a certain point. It does not matter where that point is or where you are when you measure that distance. Time does not depend on anything to do with the Earth. Time and space came into being the instant of the "big bang."

A good read is "A Brief History of Time" By Stephen Hawking. . .it does a pretty good job of explaining lots of that stuff

Another question:

Have you been watching Superman?

The only thing that would go backwards would be your lunch. :)

The simple answer to your question is that time exists everywhere there is space and vice-versa (thus the term time/space). It's actually a more complex subject than it appears on the surface (read the Hawking book as suggested above if you're really interested).

mwc