Goodbye Jesus

Books That Refute Contemporary Apologetics

Guest _mike

Guest _mike

I'm currently reading a book entitled "Reason for the Hope Within", edited by Michael Murray, forwarded by Alvin Plantinga, and published by Grand Rapids/Cambridge WM. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. which is a compilation of essays by some of the world's leading Christian philosophers in support of Christian theism and also against atheistic positions for the same purpose. I'm also reading a similar book for the flip-side of the argument, namely a book geared toward supporting atheism and rejecting Christian theism. It too is a compilation of essays by some of the world's leading atheistic thinkers entitled "The Cambridge Companion to Atheism", edited by Michael Martin and published by Cambridge University Press. I'm looking for a book that is geared, however, more toward refuting contemporary apologetic claims for Christianity DIRECTLY in a philosophical manner (mostly because a lot of the theistic apologists out there rely so heavily on their philosophical notions). I feel that "The Cambridge Companion to Atheism" is not quite doing the trick and is not addressing a lot of fine points brought up in the first book title I mentioned. Does anyone know of any books that exhaustively accomplish this feat successfully and with sound philosophy? I'm hoping the book to be a compilation of essays so I can get the bigger picture, but single authors will do. Also, I'm looking for the best books out there on the matter; the ones that are written by the big shots, and the ones that have been widely reviewed, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Mostly it's single author stuff...

Bart Erhman trashes scriptural aurthority, Bishop John Selby Spong trashes a lot of apologeics and sola scriptus... Neil Douglas-Klotz trashes a lot of the basal philosophies by taking the scripture back to Aramaic... Obviously, since I'm citing a Christian Bishop and a Sufi Mystic, it'll take a level of synthesis on your part, but hell, I managed it, and I'm nothing special.