Goodbye Jesus

"shut-up" About Buddhism

Jun

I just recieved an e-mail, with no name, telling me to "shut-up" about Buddhism on this forum.

This forum is for Ex-Christians - of which I am one.

I do believe that some are taking their anti-Christianity to mean anti-everything. There are those on this board who are Agnostic, just plain Atheist, Gnostic, Pagan, Satanists, Wiccans (are there?), and some are interested in Buddhism or other atheistic teachings.

To the person who asked me to "shut up," please explain to me why? You don't have to reveal who you are, just send a better explanation via your annonymous e-mail again. I'm interested to know why.

Do I upset any others when I discuss Buddhism here? If so, I'll not mention it again.

:17:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Legion

• Jun

• Ouroboros

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, have no problem with you mentioning Buddhism Jun. In fact, I welcome your perspective and I enjoy your posts.

Well, it wasn't from me. I can tell you that. I have no problems with Buddhism or you or anyone else talking about it. Actually, at times I think it's very interesting. And I have never seen you argue that everyone should become Buddhists or such, so you're not "evangelizing" a "gospel", you only share information and insights. You got my blessing to continue. :)

can't speak for everyone, but it doesn't upset me in the slightest, its not like you have been pushy or evangelistic.

Plus it would be absurd for you to simply stop talking about it all together, many of your thoughts on things have been influenced by your time studding Buddhism. In any case, you are hardly the first Buddhist to post here, and this is Ex-Chrsitian.net, not atheism.net or whatever.

Personally I find your thoughts on Buddhism, and eastern philosophy in general to be interesting...of course I do have a unhealthy fascination with all things Japanese, so maybe I'm the only one :P

If you don't mind me having your e-mail, you can forward me the mail as an attachment, and I'll do a bit of forensics on it :) It's amazing what SMTP headers stores about who sent it...

I'm a great fan of naming and shaming cowards...

I just recieved an e-mail, with no name, telling me to "shut-up" about Buddhism on this forum.

This forum is for Ex-Christians - of which I am one.

Buddhism is more of a philosophy and not really a 'religion'. I believe it is extremely helpful to others for everyone to share how they left xtianity and what helps them cope. I think everyone benefits from learning about different cultures, religions, philosophies, and ideologies and don't believe that in any way harms this place and don't see how learning/sharing anything could bother people? Sounds like the person who sent it is a major control freak, I'd ignore it and tell them to use their IGNORE feature that is provided them. I enjoy reading your posts Jun. :)

Thanks for your interest in my dribble. :thanks:

It matters not who the e-mail was from. And no-one came to mind. :scratch:

"Piss up a rope" ha ha! Now I'm not about to go tell anyone to do anything. Ha ha. That was funny though. People are welcome to their opinions, even if said opinions appear to have been made without a full investigation into things.

Sorry Gramps, I deleted it. It doesn't matter anyhow.

Jun-san..

When one is afraid to learn one lashes out. Sounds like the actor initiating that message is not ready to listen to any voice but the legion loose in their own mind.

Rationality, even in the form of Budda may be too much for their ability to comprehend.

Fugg'um.

kFL

Shame... it's been a while since I had to track a scumbag across Mr. Edison's Electrical Telegraph Web...

Sounds like the actor initiating that message is not ready to listen to any voice but the legion loose in their own mind.

I hope this is not an implication that I had anything to do with that email Kevin.

*snort* Jun, just goes to show there are idjuts everywhere. Ignore the e-mail with dignity. I find your posts about Buddhism to be educational and I enjoy them. Even if I didn't, so what? I'd just skip them. Which is what the anonymous coward who sent you that e-mail should do. Bah. Crap like this really gets my goat.

Sounds like the actor initiating that message is not ready to listen to any voice but the legion loose in their own mind.

I hope this is not an implication that I had anything to do with that email Kevin.

You would be the furthest from my mind in this sillyness. I'm sure no-one is pointing fingers. Again, it doesn't matter who it was.

*snort* Jun, just goes to show there are idjuts everywhere. Ignore the e-mail with dignity. I find your posts about Buddhism to be educational and I enjoy them. Even if I didn't, so what? I'd just skip them. Which is what the anonymous coward who sent you that e-mail should do. Bah. Crap like this really gets my goat.

I read it, deleted it, had a bit of a laugh. And then thought, "Oh, I should just let everyone know, and ask if anyone else feels the same." Hence my post.

Not this week buds.. Unless you've got the weird habit of sending anon-0-mails to board buddists..

"Legion" as in many, "in own mind", well, as in crazy as batshit spread on whitebread..

kL

Not this week buds.. Unless you've got the weird habit of sending anon-0-mails to board buddists..

"Legion" as in many, "in own mind", well, as in crazy as batshit spread on whitebread..

kL

Cool. :thanks:

And Jun, one more thing, the decision who has the right to stay or not, or say what or what-not, is up to the moderators like Nivek/SkipNChurch or me or some of the others we have here. And we are a very forgiving bunch that let 99% of stuff pass through. Heck we usually let Christians post junk here and only on some occasions we ban one or two for prosetylizing and such. So if you don't hear the word from us, then you're okay. Okay?

kL

Testify... although such are not exorcised by prayer and fasting... they need hunting down and reporting...

And Jun, one more thing, the decision who has the right to stay or not, or say what or what-not, is up to the moderators like Nivek/SkipNChurch or me or some of the others we have here. And we are a very forgiving bunch that let 99% of stuff pass through. Heck we usually let Christians post junk here and only on some occasions we ban one or two for prosetylizing and such. So if you don't hear the word from us, then you're okay. Okay?

Yes I know, Han Solo (it is strange calling you that, Harrison Fords lines from Star Wars play through my mind when I see your handle). Thanks. :grin:

My favourite Harrison ford line about Star Wars... "You may be able to write this shit, but no one can read it"

It kind of pisses me off to see this since you're not like others that come by here blindly evangelizing. I don't see you shoving it down anyone's throat or anything. The biggest mention of it I recall seeing was between you and Amanda and it seemed like no big deal there especially since she wanted to hear more about it. This happens with all sorts of topics around here so why should Buddhism be any different than these other things (including belief systems/life styles/whatever)?

Sorry to hear to hear it. Someone stepped out of line.

mwc

Have no problem with Buddhism, personally. Most Buddhists don't ram it down people's throats, at least not in the U.S.

Not me. Can't STAND Buddhists. Uh, they bug the crap out of me... [checks own account] ... Oh, wait, I AM a Buddhist... Never mind!

But honestly Jun, I for one am VERY glad to have you here. Buddhists are rare enough in these parts, don't be scared away because someone got their existential panties in a bunch. The people here as close to a sangha I've been able to find. I'd hate lose one of the good ones.

Skankboy

Just delete and ignore and continue to post your thoughts, as long as you are within the forum rules and the mods don't get involved, your thoughts are as valid as any other poster. While I personally don't have a horse in the spiritual beliefs race and couldn't care less if I tried what anyone else believes or doesn't believe (not that I am not interested in expanding my knowledge...so I guess I care as far as that goes) I would vehemently defend your right to voice your thoughts and opinions as you see fit.

Nope, no issue from me either (I kind of find Buddhisim interesting from time to time and well since the source doesn't run too fast...).

Seriously, too many here have a tendency to forget that Ex-xtian != atheist and that religious != xtian. Seems this is a major false dichotomy set up in way too many mindsets (particularly in the US, not sure how common it is elsewhere).

I say screw them. Then you at least get laid.

It seems to be an American view, and specifically a Skeptic American view.

Sounds like someone needs to go cry over some spilt milk. Anyone who feels "threatened" by buddhism (or any other belief system they personally don't believe in) enough to e-mail you as though they were THE SHEEEIIITT or want to play wannabee moderator needs to get a damn life. Hell, makes me wonder...does this person need to beg the christians who come here to "shut up"? If they are, they're a royal dumbass for giving the evangelizers exactly what they want.