Goodbye Jesus

"shut-up" About Buddhism

Jun

I just recieved an e-mail, with no name, telling me to "shut-up" about Buddhism on this forum.

This forum is for Ex-Christians - of which I am one.

I do believe that some are taking their anti-Christianity to mean anti-everything. There are those on this board who are Agnostic, just plain Atheist, Gnostic, Pagan, Satanists, Wiccans (are there?), and some are interested in Buddhism or other atheistic teachings.

To the person who asked me to "shut up," please explain to me why? You don't have to reveal who you are, just send a better explanation via your annonymous e-mail again. I'm interested to know why.

Do I upset any others when I discuss Buddhism here? If so, I'll not mention it again.

:17:

I find Budism to be a sect like any other. It's an interesting subject, and far less harmful than most of the other sects and cults. I don't buy into it, but I've got no problem with it either. From what I understand, Budism really is more about self improvement and bettering yourself than telling others what to do and how to live.

I still think the spiritual end is a load of shit, but that's just the way I see the world in general.

I've got no problem reading about it any more than I mind reading about satanism, Agnostisism, Atheism, Hinduism, Islam, or christianity.

Though taking Buddah's advice on the subject and 'doing nothing' seems gleefully ironic.

It's ex-christian.net, not Atheist.com. Perhaps the e-mailer should start an 'ex-budist.something' site of his/her own.

This is the perfect place for that kind of discussion really. I wouldn't mind snagging a few Hindu, Islamic, Mormon, or JW posters for around here. I enjoy hearing another side of an issue, and the rules against mindless flooding of dogmatic crap around here keep things from turning into huge flame wars.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

We need more people willing to add to discussions without thoughtless preaching around here, and less people who e-mail others to try and shut them up.

The truth is, the mix and tollerance in this forum is what has kept me here, as opposed to a place just for atheist.

In short: Intollerance, is not to be tollerated! >_<

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Legion

• Jun

• Ouroboros

Top Posters In This Topic

"I still think the spiritual end is a load of shit, but that's just the way I see the world in general. "

Actually, in Buddhism the 'spiritual' end is just a state of mind... it claims no objective reality.

I just recieved an e-mail, with no name, telling me to "shut-up" about Buddhism on this forum.

This forum is for Ex-Christians - of which I am one.

I do believe that some are taking their anti-Christianity to mean anti-everything. There are those on this board who are Agnostic, just plain Atheist, Gnostic, Pagan, Satanists, Wiccans (are there?), and some are interested in Buddhism or other atheistic teachings.

To the person who asked me to "shut up," please explain to me why? You don't have to reveal who you are, just send a better explanation via your annonymous e-mail again. I'm interested to know why.

Do I upset any others when I discuss Buddhism here? If so, I'll not mention it again.

No problem from here. I have a lot of respect for Buddhism and find it interesting to learn more about it.

I also like Taoism. Maybe if I started mentioning the Tao te Ching a lot then I'd also get an email asking me to shut up about Taoism ;)

Go for it!

I also like Taoism.

I think Taoism is pretty cool too EB.

I also like Taoism.

I think Taoism is pretty cool too EB.

Me three. :)

Whoever said to Jun to "shut up" about Buddhism is a blithering idiot who needs to take a chill pill. At least the Buddhists here aren't crazed fundies, like the Christians we often get. And I like learning about their philosophies.

Keep on going with it, Jun. We're happy to have you here.

I jumped in on this late, but I have to echo the sentiment of pretty much every poster on this thread.

I've enjoyed your posts and see absolutely nothing to "shut up" about.

We seem to be converging on a consensus that the anonymous one telling people to shut up should shut up...

No problem from here. I have a lot of respect for Buddhism and find it interesting to learn more about it.

I also like Taoism. Maybe if I started mentioning the Tao te Ching a lot then I'd also get an email asking me to shut up about Taoism ;)

I like Taoism a lot too, enough that I would, at least vaguely, consider myself a philosophical Taoist, I've mentioned it before, though not often...to me it doesn't even contradict being an atheist. It confuses the Christians I talk to...but whatever.

No ones ever told me to shut up about it before. Well perhaps a fundy or two, but who cares what they think.

IMO, another thing people need to remember is that following a "religion" does not equal being a theist. It is quite possible to have one without the other.

Buddhist ideas, training, and concepts helped me immensely during my deconversion process and they continue to help me to this day. As I was unable to be honest about my beliefs, I had to sit through many very compelling and often terrifying sermons. And the skills I learned from Buddhism kept me sane. "This body is afraid of dying and being tormented." "This mind desires to find constancy and 'know' everything will be okay." I was able to recognize the emotions and states that the situations put me in without being compelled to follow where those emotions led.

I found it beneficial in a lot of ways. So I'd say talk about it as much as you want.

*wave* Another Buddhist here. Not a problem here, your posts are some of the most fun to read.

And with whoever sent it, it sounds simply like their other hand got bored.

Do I upset any others when I discuss Buddhism here?

For my part, you inspire me with your Buddhist-speak. I hope you keep up the good work :)

As Gramps said, the one telling you to shut up is the one who ought to do the shutting up. Or hop on this thread and pony up some explanations as to why Jun should speak no more about Buddhism. If that should happen, he won't stand alone :angry:

*wave* Another Buddhist here. Not a problem here, your posts are some of the most fun to read.

You think they're clapping with the other one? :wicked:

(Someone had to say it... I felt it was best to get it over with...)

Please don't.

Not because I think it's bad, but because Lao Tzu makes my head hurt.

I enjoy your posts too, Jun.

It's rather sad that whoever sent this didn't bother to sign his or her name to it. The geek in me says that, signature or no, it might be possible to identify the culprit by examining the headers on the e-mail and trying for an IP address match. But then my pragmatic side asks, "What would it really accomplish?"

Message to sender of the e-mail: If you don't like reading the output of a particular member, use the "ignore" feature instead of playing amateur censor. :angry:

I gave Buddhism a try after I left the christ cult but it wasnt for me. Glad to be done with all religions now. If I ever decided to try another it would be Wiccan.

I'm jelous, no one ever emails me. : pouts:

More to the point, although late to the party let me chime in with I've got no problem with Buddhism, or with you Jun. In fact I too find Buddhism interesting.

I can't speak for everybody, but I don't feel bothered by your mentioning of buddhism in any way.

(Of course I may just have missed the offensive postings ;) )

I can't speak for everybody, but I don't feel bothered by your mentioning of buddhism in any way.

(Of course I may just have missed the offensive postings ;) )

Jun - The Lenny Bruce of the Zen world

Hey Jun,

I don't post here much, but I do visit most everyday, and if I see you've posted I am always very interested in what you have to say.

As for the e-mail I would say (don't remember quote verbatim)..."Dogs bark at what they do not understand."

Personally, I don't label myself anything, but I have received much help meditating on Tao and the philosophical views of Buddism.

Take care.

Heaven forbid that people should move on from being an "ex" and find new interests that they can relate to.

The EX brought us all together. But our desire to learn new things keeps us growing.

I tried Paganism for just over a year, and read up on Buddhism after that, and decided neither were for me. But each to their own.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to just ignore things that I find to be upsetting (well, not everything, you know what I mean). What an ass-hat.

You think they're clapping with the other one? :wicked:

(Someone had to say it... I felt it was best to get it over with...)

THANK you GH! I was worried nobody'd quite pick up on what I meant. :wicked:

It kind of pisses me off to see this since you're not like others that come by here blindly evangelizing. I don't see you shoving it down anyone's throat or anything. The biggest mention of it I recall seeing was between you and Amanda and it seemed like no big deal there especially since she wanted to hear more about it. This happens with all sorts of topics around here so why should Buddhism be any different than these other things (including belief systems/life styles/whatever)?

Sorry to hear to hear it. Someone stepped out of line.

mwc

well, i am surprised that someone sent an email like that on this forum. as much as we use to be anti-censorship, but alas i guess things change.