Goodbye Jesus

Law Of Attraction And 'the Secret'

Amelia

Hi Guys!

Since giving Christianity the boot about two years ago, I've really been so happy because I have embraced free thinking. It's so liberating!

In learning about new things I've come into contact with the law of attraction, which is popping up all over the media thanks to a movie/documentary called 'The Secret'.

So has anybody here seen it? Maybe some know about LOA?

I'm interested in what ex-Christians think about it.

The link to the first 20 minutes of the doco is at

But yeah, I think there are some interesting points in the doco.

Cheers,

AJ

The Secret? Yeah I'll tell you what the secret is. Make up a bunch of bullshit about telling the universe what you want, and sell it in book and movie form to gullible people and voila! You get what you want (loads of money)!

I guess it works...

:scratch:

That's a fair point that quite a few people make. But, why has it worked for the successful people in history who testify to it?

A lot of the people who are out there saying how great LOA is are achieving quite a lot in life. Do you think, "Wow, they're successful with what they are doing, they are happy. Maybe the way they think really does work?"

I just look at the results of the people who claim to live by it.

Some people who have seen 'The Secret' have said it gives the impression you can ask the universe for something and do jackshit to get it. For instance, "I want a million dollars in 7 days and I'll sit back and do nothing." The teachers on 'The Secret' have said when talking about the doco that action is almost always needed. Sometimes things can 'manifest' without action, but very rarely. You almost always have to get off your arse and take inspired action in order to get that which you want. So in the sense of asking for anything and always getting it if you do jackshit, then yes, I agree that this is bullshit. You are right about that.

But I know that in my life when I have been positive and visualise good outcomes and great things, then take the action I need to make it happen, the opportunities just unfold. So I'm going by the results I see in my life, and those I see when I look at these other people who talk about it.

I'm a free thinker, so I'll never shoot somebody's thoughts down.

But I know that in my life when I have been positive and visualise good outcomes and great things, the opportunities just unfold. So I'm going by the results I see in my life, and those I see when I look at these other people who talk about it.

It's a method that works well if it's followed by action. If you think you are going to visualize winning the lotto or passing your test without study, then I've got a few business propositions I would like to sell you.

But I know that in my life when I have been positive and visualise good outcomes and great things, the opportunities just unfold. So I'm going by the results I see in my life, and those I see when I look at these other people who talk about it.

It's a method that works well if it's followed by action. If you think you are going to visualize winning the lotto or passing your test without study, then I've got a few business propositions I would like to sell you.

It was always with action though. You can't just sit back and say "I want, I want" because 99.999% of the time it won't materialise.

Exactly. So it's actually you accomplishing whatever it is you wish to accomplish. The universe is not helping you, but you are helping you. Positive attitude can put your brain in a healthier mental state to think up new ideas and to operate at its peak when it's needed most. Visuallizing something is practice, just like physical practice. Russian olympians used to use the technique (probably athletes around the world still do) to perfect their game.

Nothing magical is going on here, nor are any entities outside your own brain assisting you.

Exactly. So it's actually you accomplishing whatever it is you wish to accomplish. The universe is not helping you, but you are helping you. Positive attitude can put your brain in a healthier mental state to think up new ideas and to operate at its peak when it's needed most. Visuallizing something is practice, just like physical practice. Russian olympians used to use the technique (probably athletes around the world still do) to perfect their game.

Nothing magical is going on here, nor are any entities outside your own brain assisting you.

Hey There!

Mmmmmm, I think the universe favours people though. I know atheists don't believe in any other power aside from that which is within.

But hell,if the outcomes are great who cares! :) It's all good.

But yeah...I believe in the universe. I think there is complimentary power there, but in 'The Secret' they say that our own power is greater than any power. I think the universe just compliments us. And hey, if the universe is for us and we can call something into existence with inspired action...well, I don't have a problem there! LOL.

Mmmmmm, I think the universe favours people though.

Why would you think that?

Ok, sure you can believe in fairies too, but that doesn't mean it's true or rational.

Mmmmmm, I think the universe favours people though.

Why would you think that?

Ok, sure you can believe in fairies too, but that doesn't mean it's true or rational.

Hello,

Just from what I've seen with other people and how things seem to come together when I get off my arse. Things that happen...what some might call coincidences. Doors of opportunity opening and that sort of thing.

But if it's not the universe that is also playing a role, it doesn't bother me.

People can choose to believe whatever they want. It doesn't bother me. I just want to be happy. :) What we experience is our reality anyway. Whatever floats your boat - it's all good.

I think it's great though to be upbeat and have a positive perspective. I think it's good to see the glass as half full, rather than half empty. That's me though - I don't and cannot speak for anybody else. :)

If the "secret" is just staying upbeat and positive and believing in yourself, then that's no secret at all. That's called common-sense. If you don't believe that you can achieve your goals then you've failed before you've even begun. I don't need a book or a movie to tell me that, and anyone that you've spent money on to be told that is a con-artist.

Is the glass half full or half empty? No matter. I prefer to know how big a glass you've got and at what point between full and empty the waterline is. Is it halfway in between? Fine. I don't care what you call it.

Being happy is of great importance but not at the cost of delusion. Being at peace with oneself and the world liberates the natural creativity and sponaneity that we need to succeed. However, there is such a thing as a Prosperity Gospel. I believe in combining reality with creative potential.

The problem with a prosperity gospel is that for most of us reality sets in sooner or later. And we will fail at some of our endeavors. We do make mistakes now and then. Some of them are costly. The prosperity gospel condemns us when this happens. It tells us WE did something wrong. It's US who failed. WE had wrong desires. WE didn't want success badly enough, etc.

That sets us up for the guilt trips we thought we left behind with religion.

You mention two years of happiness. I am very happy for you, Amelia. Just be prepared for when the bubble bursts. Two years is not a long time. Many people live eighty years and more. Two is what percent of eighty?

Is this the Oprah thing that encourages outright bigotry (i.e. not being friends with people who have less money than you or who don't look physically beautiful?) If so, then I want no part of it, for that is one of the reasons I left the Christian church. Too much judging and bigotry going on.

To me, there is no secret to "the secret." I mean, it's a nice thought...but the truth is you don't need to spend money to tell you how to achieve happiness. It's all in your own basic attitude and thought pattern. If you're happy, you draw happy to you. If you're miserable, you'll attract miserable...

To me, it's common sense.

Is this the Oprah thing that encourages outright bigotry (i.e. not being friends with people who have less money than you or who don't look physically beautiful?) If so, then I want no part of it, for that is one of the reasons I left the Christian church. Too much judging and bigotry going on.

:twitch: I have heard about this apparent secret thingy but nothing more then in passing, and really I know nothing about it. Amethyst, I don't watch Oprah, but I must say I'm floored that she out of all people would participate in something so shallow and superficial given her public struggle with weight and so forth. I dunno maybe she's changed I always thought she saw past peoples shells?

The Secret sounds like its yet another cult like scientology, could be I'm wrong, as I said I dunno that much about it. :shrug:

is the youtube about it.

Is the glass half full or half empty? No matter. I prefer to know how big a glass you've got and at what point between full and empty the waterline is. Is it halfway in between? Fine. I don't care what you call it.

Being happy is of great importance but not at the cost of delusion. Being at peace with oneself and the world liberates the natural creativity and sponaneity that we need to succeed. However, there is such a thing as a Prosperity Gospel. I believe in combining reality with creative potential.

The problem with a prosperity gospel is that for most of us reality sets in sooner or later. And we will fail at some of our endeavors. We do make mistakes now and then. Some of them are costly. The prosperity gospel condemns us when this happens. It tells us WE did something wrong. It's US who failed. WE had wrong desires. WE didn't want success badly enough, etc.

That sets us up for the guilt trips we thought we left behind with religion.

You mention two years of happiness. I am very happy for you, Amelia. Just be prepared for when the bubble bursts. Two years is not a long time. Many people live eighty years and more. Two is what percent of eighty?

Actually, come to think of it I've been out of church and all that shit now for over three years. I left the fundy movement when I left home to get married six years ago. But! I'm sure you won't disagree with me that dumping Christianity was one of the best things you did. Everybody here will probably agree with that! :)

And just when everybody thought I was going all new agey on you, I hate to break it (LOL), but I don't go for the new age babble that says be delusional either. Just because you choose to be positive and try and get something good out of a negative situation, doesn't make you delusional - but you all know that! I just think try and get the most out of life.

I for instance look at the abuse I got from my father as an opportunity for me to relate to others who have gone through it. I know it was a horrible thing, but still, it has made me stronger. I can cry about it if I want, but I've done that many times (and for a LONG time!) and I have moved on now. I have healed from that.

Now!! I think Christianity is a crock of SHIT and same goes for the prosperity shit that is preached by sections of that movement! It's all bullshit! :)

I never said I was happy all the time in those last three or so years. I said I dumped church about three years ago and I am happy for doing so because it has allowed me to consider other perspectives. Christianity suppressed my personality and now that I'm out of it, I can be me and love who I am. The same probably goes for a lot of you guys. I mean we deserve to be ourselves and frankly, fuck anybody who doesn't like the fact that we are ourselves. :)

Anyways...Ruby and a few others who have read my intro posts know my story and know that I haven't had a piss easy life and certainly not over the last three years. And you know that I have experienced quite a lot of pain from over 20 years of abuse at the hands of my pentecostal pastor father.

But seriously, that is like so what now. I mean, most families are dysfunctional. It's just the way it is. Doesn't make it right, but it's the way things are.

What matters is the now. Just because somebody copped shit in the past doesn't mean they are doomed to live a miserable life. Far from it! :)

So yeah...I just thought I should clarify here that although I left church three or so years ago or thereabouts, life hasn't been a walk in the park since then. I would actually say that 2005/06 were the hardest years I have had to endure because it was when I realised exactly what abuse had happened and that it was wrong. The hardship hasn't been directly related to leaving Christianity, although my abusive father justifies his actions through his extreme religious views. The difficult times over the last few years - and acute depression and anxiety which I am now beyond - were related to the family shit and my cutting all ties with every family member in my biological family. I don't miss Christianity for one minute and I don't believe I was ever fully into the fundy movement. I just had to pretend to save myself from getting my arse whipped - literally.

The thing we have in common is that we are happy that we have walked away from Christianity. We are better people for it! :) I mean we are living LIFE now!

Of course I only speak for myself here, but I don't think we should worry about whether one person likes to be positive and another not so. I don't think we should worry if somebody is an atheist and another is an agnostic, or somebody is a deist and the other a theist. At the end of the day, who gives a shit? I don't! I'm happy to have a conversation and drink with anybody! :) I just think we should give life our best shot and do whatever feels good for us. :) I'm not searching for truth - I just want to be content and happy with my life. I reckon everybody deserves that.

My opinion is that it's good to have a happy and positive outlook, end of story.

I think if people are bigotted towards poor people and overweight people, etc that is bullshit. I am completely against that.

I know a church that is like this and I think it's bullshit.

Was there an Oprah episode telling people to shun the less fortunate or those who have problems?

To me, there is no secret to "the secret." I mean, it's a nice thought...but the truth is you don't need to spend money to tell you how to achieve happiness. It's all in your own basic attitude and thought pattern. If you're happy, you draw happy to you. If you're miserable, you'll attract miserable...

To me, it's common sense.

And that's my opinion and perspective on it as well. :) It ain't a secret! You sum it up well and that's how I look at it all.

No more and no less.

Ooops!! I didn't mean to post again! :)

:twitch: I have heard about this apparent secret thingy but nothing more then in passing, and really I know nothing about it. Amethyst, I don't watch Oprah, but I must say I'm floored that she out of all people would participate in something so shallow and superficial given her public struggle with weight and so forth. I dunno maybe she's changed I always thought she saw past peoples shells?

The Secret sounds like its yet another cult like scientology, could be I'm wrong, as I said I dunno that much about it. :shrug:

I saw the episode of Oprah (it aired in Australia last night) about 'The Secret' and they didn't say anything about shunning people who are overweight or poor or less fortunate. Like you, I would find it hard to believe particularly considering Oprah has such a high profile for helping and inspiring other people.

I've heard of people likening 'The Secret' to a cult, but I think it's just another personal development book myself. Like I said earlier, it's just commonsense to keep your chin up.

I just want to be content and happy with my life. I reckon everybody deserves that.

So do I. I'm so glad you clarified your position because this sounds realistic and mature--at least to me.

About using your own abuse to relate to others--I have done that a lot, too. It helps me accept and understand others in ways I couldn't if I had always been loved and well thought of.

And that's my opinion and perspective on it as well. :) It ain't a secret! You sum it up well and that's how I look at it all.

No more and no less.

Thanks! Yes, I think there are many people who just don't realize that their thoughts affect their emotions and outlook. Granted, it's impossible to always feel positive, heck, I wish I could all the time! But when I am feeling down, I at least am aware of what I need to do to change it, even if it takes awhile.

I think anything is possible in our lives. If we truly want to achieve something, we can make it happen as long as we are not reaching too high where it is unreasonable. We decide our fate and have control over what happens to us even if at times we don't think we do.

When I let go of xtianity, it felt good for me to realize that I was in charge of my life and I didn't have to depend on "prayer" and if God felt like answering it or not, it was all up to ME.

This whole, metaphysical, the "Universe" loving us and wanting to give us things if we're willing to take action, "Secret" concept is total and complete crap in my mind. I don't care if you really like it or not, but it's cheapening humanity and their accomplishments. I'm supposed to attribute possibilies in my life to the Universe being on my side? That's bullshit. Thats the same sort of shit that was being force-fed down my throat in Christianity.

"Believe in Jesus, ask Jesus, implore Jesus, and He'll give you the desires of your heart - but with a catch, you don't really know the desires of your heart, so the desire for a spouse, children, financial security, etc aren't in 'His glorious plan' if you don't eventually get them; and if you do, well PRAISE THE LORD for the miracles He brings to our lives."

It's all shit. Why not give a hand to the human condition and empowerment of our own abilities instead of "the Universe"? Oh wait... because many ex-Christians coming out of the deconversion process still are searching for that little thing that will make them believe in miracles and something watching out for them, even though they left the church screaming.

Is it possible that the greedy asshole who came up with this concept is simply playing upon traditional concepts that have existed since we first used stupid concepts to subjugate the masses?

What's next? Suicide-bombings in the name of the Universe?

If this concept as you mention it even exists, I doubt it gives two shits that you get a million dollars, a new car, a new job, or anything.

How about we start remembering that this world is a bitch, we're all gonna die someday, so why don't we take it all by the balls, give it a good, hard squeeze, and laugh in its face! :wicked:

No more and no less.

Thanks! Yes, I think there are many people who just don't realize that their thoughts affect their emotions and outlook. Granted, it's impossible to always feel positive, heck, I wish I could all the time! But when I am feeling down, I at least am aware of what I need to do to change it, even if it takes awhile.

I think anything is possible in our lives. If we truly want to achieve something, we can make it happen as long as we are not reaching too high where it is unreasonable. We decide our fate and have control over what happens to us even if at times we don't think we do.

When I let go of xtianity, it felt good for me to realize that I was in charge of my life and I didn't have to depend on "prayer" and if God felt like answering it or not, it was all up to ME.

Exactly right! :D

If you want to do something in your life, go out and make it happen and knock on the doors you need to knock on! :)

This whole, metaphysical, the "Universe" loving us and wanting to give us things if we're willing to take action, "Secret" concept is total and complete crap in my mind. I don't care if you really like it or not, but it's cheapening humanity and their accomplishments. I'm supposed to attribute possibilies in my life to the Universe being on my side? That's bullshit. Thats the same sort of shit that was being force-fed down my throat in Christianity.

"Believe in Jesus, ask Jesus, implore Jesus, and He'll give you the desires of your heart - but with a catch, you don't really know the desires of your heart, so the desire for a spouse, children, financial security, etc aren't in 'His glorious plan' if you don't eventually get them; and if you do, well PRAISE THE LORD for the miracles He brings to our lives."

It's all shit. Why not give a hand to the human condition and empowerment of our own abilities instead of "the Universe"? Oh wait... because many ex-Christians coming out of the deconversion process still are searching for that little thing that will make them believe in miracles and something watching out for them, even though they left the church screaming.

Is it possible that the greedy asshole who came up with this concept is simply playing upon traditional concepts that have existed since we first used stupid concepts to subjugate the masses?

What's next? Suicide-bombings in the name of the Universe?

If this concept as you mention it even exists, I doubt it gives two shits that you get a million dollars, a new car, a new job, or anything.

How about we start remembering that this world is a bitch, we're all gonna die someday, so why don't we take it all by the balls, give it a good, hard squeeze, and laugh in its face! :wicked:

Hey Rhia,

I am totally all for confidence in human abilities! I think if we put our minds to it, decide on doing something with our lives and then put in the effort we need to in order to make that happen, that's great! I think that's a good and empowering way to live.

I think I mentioned before, who cares if the universe as a power doesn't exist? It doesn't matter. If I can set my mind to something, do it and get results by my own doing, it's all good. :)

And anyway...if there is some force out there, it's definitely not personal in my view. I definitely don't think that if a force exists, it really has much to do with us, as Christianity teaches in terms of god and having a personal relationship with god.

I love the last sentence you posted! :) To me that says, "We're here, so fuck it, let's make the most of it" and that's exactly what I think too!

Isn't it great though that we can actually talk about different ways of thinking now? When we were stuck in Christianity, we just had to be closed minded about everything!