Goodbye Jesus

Going Back To Church

robbie

For a long time now I have been wanting to go to Mass at my old parish, if not out of religious devotion then out of pure curiosity. I really want to go to Mass an experience it in my old church as a non-believer.

However, I feel that I can't. Last time I went to Mass after several months I got a couple of concerned conersations afterwards...'I hope you're not losing you're Faith'...'where have you been?' etc.

Perhaps I can cope by turning up very slightly late to miss to altar servers (of which I was one til I disappeared off the face off the the earth [as far as they're concerned]) at the door, and run off before I end up sitting having tea with some 'Mary' or other begging me to return. Although I suppose I could sow the seeds of doubt over tea and biscuits... :HaHa:

I do really want to go to Mass at my old parish...it's just the people I' scared of, though they are lovely!

Anyway...any adivce? How did you cope with returning to church?

Sit in the back, wear dark glasses and a wig, run out at soon as mass is over. ;)

Sit in the back, wear dark glasses and a wig, run out at soon as mass is over. ;)

Just like a true catholic.

:lmao: You guys are funny.

Well, what good catholic wants to miss the kickoff? :shrug:

Seriously, though, if you must go back, just take Burnedout's advice. Do be careful of prying, since you'll be a prime target for any sort of evangelism if it comes out that you're wavering in any way. I went to church a few times during my deconversion, and did enjoy the pomp and ceremony of the Mass, but I just couldn't divorce that from all the things I was finally seeing about Xianity. I couldn't even show face in a church anymore.

Or perhaps find a Unitarian Universalist church - I considered looking into them during my early days of wavering in Xianity. They're good folks and you might get your "church fix" without all the hellfire and manipulation if you like them well enough. Kinda Protestant-ish in their services, and not very Mass-like, but tis a mere suggestion.

Unless there's a reason you specifically want to go to your old parrish, how about sitting in on mass at another church? I've found a more consistent experience at mass than most protestant services, anyway, and it's easy to blend in anonymously, unnoticed, and unpestered at a catholic church you don't regularly attend.

I do not see how you can do it. I cannot bring myself to go to any church. I have anger problems.

I do not see how you can do it. I cannot bring myself to go to any church. I have anger problems.

Me too, I'm completely bullshit intolerant. The minute I spot bull like you'd find in the Bible, you'd better believe I'd be quite... irritable.

ROFL!

:lmao:

Hehehe.....

I've thought about going back to the Baptist church I use to go to, fully clothed in black jeans, black T-shirt, black leather trench coat, long hair, and pentagram neclace in full view. This church even considered me a "Super Christian" and put my name on a plaque and put it on the wall.

:Duivel7:

• 2 weeks later...
Unless there's a reason you specifically want to go to your old parrish, how about sitting in on mass at another church? I've found a more consistent experience at mass than most protestant services, anyway, and it's easy to blend in anonymously, unnoticed, and unpestered at a catholic church you don't regularly attend.

There isn't really a huge reason as such. As odd as it sounds, I just always thought they did a lovely Mass there...and at least I'm more comfortable with their style of building, music and the size of the congregation.

I think I'll go next week (a week tomorrow)... :grin:

I went to church yesterday (Father's Day Sunday).

I went to visit mom and dad, and they always go to church, if they're at home.

It wasn't too bad, since it was a sermon about fathers, and not about salvation and hellfire.

(Although the pastor did say that the main role of a father is to lead his children in the ways of god... *sigh*)

Hope your experience next week goes well. Let us know. :)