Goodbye Jesus

Why I'm Not An Atheist.

Guest marv

There is some interesting stuff for us though in the conversation we've had, and he may not have logged in, but he'll be lurking. Vanity being what it is :)

True, he could just be lurking as guest without logging in. In which case he should go hang is head in shame somewhere on how bad of job he did witnessing for Jesus.

You know, I've noticed a trend here now. There used to be lots of evangelists who took us on full bore, with pages after pages of debate (granted it was more a massacre than debate), but they used to come. Now the only things we get is Muslims or post and flee weak-kneed Christians. What's up with that? Has word gotten out over at Christian Forums that you'll loose your faith if you try to defend it over here or something?

I miss a good debate. I think that's what disappoints me about this sorry excuse of a Christian apologist here. Maybe we should start acting more vulnerable, like dying fish or something? Here, I'll start: "Oh, you know despite all my intellect, I can still feel "something" in my heart. Maybe it's the Lord Jesus trying to talk to me?" Ok, bring it on. :wicked:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Antlerman

• Legion

• Azure Knight

You're a ruthless man. I admire that...

"But name one christian that isn't"

My old pal Fr. Richard

Fr. Charlie

Maurice B.

Crystal W.

Bishop John Shelby Spong

Why Christianity Must Change or Die is an awesome book. I love the way he thinks.

The Sins of the Scriptures is a better one :)

The Sins of the Scriptures is a better one :)

Really? I loved that book. Okay, it's in my wish list along with a couple of others from him. I'll get that one first though. Dang! I wish I was rich!

Just my opinion. I think even Spong's view of Christianity would result in what we have now in just over a century if it suddenly became de rigeur tomorrow...

Just my opinion. I think even Spong's view of Christianity would result in what we have now in just over a century if it suddenly became de rigeur tomorrow...

Well, that is just a horrible thought. :HappyCry:

Surely understanding wouldn't allow that without some kind of deceit (again)...would it?

Why not?

Why not?

I don't know...I would like to "think" that people have the ability to discern without there being some kind of purposeful deceit involved. If left to their own, surely they can...well...oh man!

Maybe it depends if people actually understand what he's saying? Once the "ears" can hear???

Hope is good...

Hope is good...

Perhaps it's one of the best of things. Some shrug off hope as the last refuge of the powerless, but not me.

The Greeks claimed that as Pandora closed the box, Hope was the last thing out...

The Greeks claimed that as Pandora closed the box, Hope was the last thing out...

That is very interesting Gramps, thank you. You are a virtual fountain of information.

Thx...

I am not even bothering to respond just a hit and run Christian. Typical trash that comes here at least if you want to fight, fight! I am not bothering responding to this joke of a poster.

But... but... you... oh... never mind :twitch:

I am not even bothering to respond just a hit and run Christian. Typical trash that comes here at least if you want to fight, fight! I am not bothering responding to this joke of a poster.

Yes! YES! I too refuse to respond to this thread at all! I won't post a single word here, not one I tell you! Take that fundy boob! Bwahahahahahahaaa!

Now we know who really is more intelligent! Take that!

That'll teach em, no way they can argue if I say nothing at all! In fact, they won't even know I read the post at all! This fundy has been ignored, and will spend the rest of their life without the benifit of any of my wisdom! Deluded fool!

Guest Bill F

Hi all

My first post, as you can see.

I guess Marv is long since gone, as indicated in the opening post, so perhaps I could mainly address this to any other Christian readers. Apologies to regulars if what I'm going to say is old hat on here, but I think RubySera was on the right lines when referring to Jesus' comments about offending. My initial impression on quickly reading some threads is that some/most Christian posters don't seem to take on board the comments from ex-Christian members about posting in the manner that they do. Can I therefore point them to what Jesus said/did in a similar situation, on the basis that, for Christians, the "WWJD" principle should always be good.

John 6:66 refers to an occasion when some people became "ex-Christians". ("Many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.") Now, what did Jesus do/say to them? Well, nothing actually - he gently let them go. He didn't run after them shouting "Wait, you don't understand!" or (just before they got out of earshot) "Hell is waiting!" (as I read on a different thread!). He just turned to those who remained and said "You do not want to leave too, do you?"

Clearly, ex-Christians on this site know what Jesus taught (as did the followers on the above occasion) and have made a considered decision (as did the followers on the above occasion). Christians should therefore be as sensitive as Jesus was, especially as such decisions are clearly made after much agonising, and simply maintain a respectful and loving relationship and try to answer any questions put to them, meet any requests for help, etc. (I take it that on this basis, everyone on here is happy for Christians to reply to those threads where questions are addressed to them.)

Best wishes to all

Bill

Bill, you sound like a reasonable guy, even for a Christian. ;) It's good to know there are some out there still.

Bill, you sound like a reasonable guy, even for a Christian. ;) It's good to know there are some out there still.

I agree. Maybe you'll stick around for a little while Bill?

I'm happy... long as he doesn't talk inconsistent gibberish :)

You must be thinking of Veil with that comment Gramps.

Hi all

My first post, as you can see.

I guess Marv is long since gone, as indicated in the opening post, so perhaps I could mainly address this to any other Christian readers. Apologies to regulars if what I'm going to say is old hat on here, but I think RubySera was on the right lines when referring to Jesus' comments about offending. My initial impression on quickly reading some threads is that some/most Christian posters don't seem to take on board the comments from ex-Christian members about posting in the manner that they do. Can I therefore point them to what Jesus said/did in a similar situation, on the basis that, for Christians, the "WWJD" principle should always be good.

John 6:66 refers to an occasion when some people became "ex-Christians". ("Many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.") Now, what did Jesus do/say to them? Well, nothing actually - he gently let them go. He didn't run after them shouting "Wait, you don't understand!" or (just before they got out of earshot) "Hell is waiting!" (as I read on a different thread!). He just turned to those who remained and said "You do not want to leave too, do you?"

Clearly, ex-Christians on this site know what Jesus taught (as did the followers on the above occasion) and have made a considered decision (as did the followers on the above occasion). Christians should therefore be as sensitive as Jesus was, especially as such decisions are clearly made after much agonising, and simply maintain a respectful and loving relationship and try to answer any questions put to them, meet any requests for help, etc. (I take it that on this basis, everyone on here is happy for Christians to reply to those threads where questions are addressed to them.)

Best wishes to all

Bill

Wow. This is the best 'faithful' post I've ever seen. It's true I don't share your beliefs, but you rule anyway. This post alone made it worth leaving this thread up.

We like debate here, not flame wars. Though, we can be quite passionate about it at times.

It's more about what evidence you can provide to us here than trying to sway us with scripture and threats of hellfire. If a Theist can give us rational and verifiable evidence, most of us here would listen. [i'd like to think anyway.]

Passages from what appears to most of us to be a 2,000 year old anthology of Jewish fairy tales isn't evidence. Nor is it obvious in the natural world as many theist seem to believe. Guiding feeliings, ingrained knowledge, and inner voices, also don't fit the criteria, and Atheist aren't willingly ignoring such things. We don't believe in those things any more than the invisible man who lives in the sky. To most of us, they just aren't there, and are figments of the active imaginations [or delusions] of others.

There doesn't appear to be more than that to faith of any kind though as far as I know.

I hope you can spread that message amongst your fellow believers a bit more. Quite a few of them could use it, and many of us are related to them.

Good luck, and thanks for the post.

You must be thinking of Veil with that comment Gramps.

You may well think that. I couldn't possibly comment...