Goodbye Jesus

Christian: What If There Were No God?

EdwardAbbey

How would Christians get through the day and with their lives if there were no God?

What if there was never a bible written? How would you be able to live a moral life?

What purpose would you have if such things never existed?

How would you cope with lifes problems without a God?

These could be some tough questions for Christians. No kiddin'

So take your time when considering your answers.

Thanks.

:scratch:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NoGreaterLove
How would Christians get through the day and with their lives if there were no God?

What if there was never a bible written? How would you be able to live a moral life?

What purpose would you have if such things never existed?

How would you cope with lifes problems without a God?

These could be some tough questions for Christians. No kiddin'

So take your time when considering your answers.

Thanks.

:scratch:

It's hard to imagine because I know there is. But I personally beleive the world would be a completly diffrent place if there were no God. (For the worse) But I guess in this alternate universe I would follow the preconcived morals devolped by society (who knows what those would be) along with my own through life experiences and I would just try to live my life to the fullest. I guess I would try to cope with life problems like I did before I was a Christian in my own way which can work for the little things, but it so hard for human beings in general to cope with big issue such as death, sickness, depression, war and what not. Honestly if there were no God I don't think I would be as able to let go of the bitterness that arises when serious things like that happen. It seems like the only comforts would be death or the promise of a better tomorrow. That being said I'm glad there is a God. (don't bother I know you don't agree)

It's hard to imagine because I know there is.

Correction, you THINK there is. There is a difference.

Vigile do you think that NoGreaterLove is going to take correction from you? Forget about it.

Guest NoGreaterLove

I don't need correcting. You THINK it's a fact that I cannot know? I am confident to say I KNOW God exists. I KNOW there is difference that’s why I used the word in the first place. I am not going to display doubts that I do not have just to please you.

I don't need correcting.

And there it is. It doesn't get much more concise than that does it?

I don't need correcting. You THINK it's a fact that I cannot know? I am confident to say I KNOW God exists. I KNOW there is difference that’s why I used the word in the first place. I am not going to display doubts that I do not have just to please you.

Oh believe me, I know you have no doubts. I'm sure you are perfectly deluded. I'm still telling you that you can't KNOW there is a god. You can KNOW there is gravity, it is testable. You can know there is a sun. It is observable by all with eyes and can be felt by all with sensitive skin. Tell me how you can objectively test the concept of god.

BTW, for someone with a login "No Greater Love" you have done nothing but offer us threats and treat us with a front of defensiveness. But, if that's your definition of love...

Guest NoGreaterLove

Oh believe me, I know you have no doubts. I'm sure you are perfectly deluded. I'm still telling you that you can't KNOW there is a god. You can KNOW there is gravity, it is testable. You can know there is a sun. It is observable by all with eyes and can be felt by all with sensitive skin. Tell me how you can objectively test the concept of god.

BTW, for someone with a login "No Greater Love" you have done nothing but offer us threats and treat us with a front of defensiveness. But, if that's your definition of love...

Simply... If God promises something in the Bible "If you...then" then if you complete the "If" you should recive the "Then" (If God is real). One day when I as I was questioning my beliefes I asked myself that question (If God is real he should forfill his promises shouldn't he?) so I looked in Bible and found this verse: Jer 29:13, “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” So basically that's about the ultimate promise because once you "find him" I'd figured alot of questions would be anserwed. So I did the "If" part and sure enough the "Then" came afterward in the form of me feeling like I had been hit from the side by a massive wave three times in the middle of my church (would have felll on my @ss if my dad didn't catch me). And the constant repating of the words "This is me" in the back of my head. Actually I wasn't "born again" until about 6 month after that incident. And during those six months I was opened up to a entire diffrent reality you wouldn't believe some of the experiences I've had. (Of course you wouldn't)They'd scare the crap out of you, but I as I had more and more of these experinces my confidence just became stronger. Because they could all be explained by the Bible. God can seen and felt by all just as the sun the problem is that most people won't come out of their basment so they can see the light so to speak.

Simply... If God promises something in the Bible "If you...then" then if you complete the "If" you should recive the "Then" (If God is real).

Christians say that god answers yes, no and wait a while. My pet rock offers the same promise.

One day when I as I was questioning my beliefes I asked myself that question (If God is real he should forfill his promises shouldn't he?) so I looked in Bible and found this verse: Jer 29:13, “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”

This is subjective, as opposed to objective proof such as that I cited on gravity and the sun. If I seek him and don't find him, you will tell me I didn't do so with all my heart.

Then" came afterward in the form of me feeling like I had been hit from the side by a massive wave three times in the middle of my church (would have felll on my @ss if my dad didn't catch me)

Easily explained by human psychology. Practicioners of religions cite similar experiences. And again, this is subjective, anecdotal evidence, not objective evidence.

Because they could all be explained by the Bible.

Anything can be explained by the bible. It's called selective interpretation.

God can seen and felt by all just as the sun the problem is that most people won't come out of their basment so they can see the light so to speak.

No one can deny that the sun or gravity exists. There is no need to "see the light," which is a subjective requirement and therefore not definitive enough for you to make a statement beyond you "think" god exists.

Simply... If God promises something in the Bible "If you...then" then if you complete the "If" you should recive the "Then" (If God is real). ...

Hmmm. I seem to recall something from the bible about IF you pray for something in Jesus's name, THEN your prayer will be fulfilled. I think a few thousand ex-christians can attest to how well that works.

The God of Synchronicity... marvellous... it's like reading the flight of crows or the entrails of goats.

If there's a God then the universe is a lot more pointless and a lot less wonderful

The God of Synchronicity... marvellous... it's like reading the flight of crows or the entrails of goats.

I always thought that Jung kind of went off the deep end with synchronicity.

Respectful correction on your correction, Vigile. NoGreaterLove believes there is a god... no thinking needed which means there's an even bigger difference.

It's the usual circular nonsense on expects of the believer...

I guess I would try to cope with life problems like I did before I was a Christian in my own way which can work for the little things, but it so hard for human beings in general to cope with big issue such as death, sickness, depression, war and what not. Honestly if there were no God I don't think I would be as able to let go of the bitterness that arises when serious things like that happen.

God as a coping mechanism! Now, that speaks volumes...

I don't know about others here, but as one who holds no concept of a god I find it's my duty to my life to find ways "to cope with death, sickness, depression, war and what not." (Especially what-not.) I also find that bitterness is an absolutely appropriate human reaction to certain events which are abominable and over which one has no control. This doesn't mean one has to live in a persistent bitter state, though, because the godless one who enjoys his/her humanity will be too busy calling upon human attributes like courage, compassion, vision, doggedness, concern, wisdom, fervor, original thinking and love in order to cope with stuff like "death, sickness, depression, war and what not."

What a relief it is to know that there's no god-concept mucking up my brain and robbing me of the beautiful duty of "coping" with my being human.

What a relief it is to know that there's no god-concept mucking up my brain and robbing me of the beautiful duty of "coping" with my being human.

Beautifully put. Hear hear.

but it so hard for human beings in general to cope with big issue such as death, sickness, depression, war and what not.

Humans are born, they live, they die. That is the human condition. No one can ever be free from this. I can't understand how believing in a man-made fictional supernatural diety can help to alleviate the natural order of life? That's the same as carrying around a lucky rabbits foot for protection.

I wish not to be sheltered from dangers,

but to be fearless in facing them.

I wish not to be free from my pains,

but for the strength to conquer them.

By my own will can this be done.

© Junpei Genshin

Thanks, Jun.... and for the Junpei Genshin quote, as well.

Damn good answers from everyone, can't say much to add to it. :)

My question to you NGL is, does all Christians have the same interpretations of the Bible? If not, how can that be if it "explains" things? Shouldn't it be pretty clear cut what it means if it "explains" something? For instance, should you love or hate your parents? Would your interpretations of conflicting verses be based on what the Bible explains how to interpret those verses or is it based on what someone told you outside of what the Bible says?

To me, it was a scary thought too to think that God didn't exist, but one day I realized that I lost my faith and belief and it wasn't a "fact" or "knowledge" anymore. You might have had many experiences that you think is connected to a "supernatural" being or power, but are you sure those events were not caused by mass suggestions or maybe even some other "supernatural" explanations? Maybe there is a spiritual world that is fooling you into believing that all those events were from some God, but they in reality are some jester spirits playing with you? Maybe it is an alien race from another planet that can cause holograms and magical tricks and you're just tricked into your belief for their amusement?

You mean like bats are really little furry birds? Pi=3? Hares chew the cud? Like those solid explanations of nature in the Bible?

He's adding spice to his coversation by quoting himself... I'm hoping he has more 'waka' to share (ok, it's not quite waka since it's in english and there's a rhyme in it... but...) :wicked:

He's adding spice to his coversation by quoting himself... I'm hoping he has more 'waka' to share (ok, it's not quite waka since it's in english and there's a rhyme in it... but...) :wicked:

:wicked: Plenty more.

You mean like bats are really little furry birds? Pi=3? Hares chew the cud? Like those solid explanations of nature in the Bible?

And don't forget Judge 1:19 that God can't win over iron chariots. Who would know that iron had such magical omnipotent powers?

We also have the biology class laid out for us from the Bible: lets start with looking at some pictures of a unicorn, or maybe a leviathan...

Respectful correction on your correction, Vigile. NoGreaterLove believes there is a god... no thinking needed which means there's an even bigger difference.

No need for any corrections, NoGreaterLove made it clear enough the first time.

......so I looked in Bible and found this verse: Jer 29:13, “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” So basically that's about the ultimate promise because once you "find him"

Why is "He" missing anyway, did "He" get lost? Why is "He" playing at hide-and-seek anyhow?

No need for any corrections, NoGreaterLove made it clear enough the first time.

So please then explain to me how it is that you and NGL "know" this information as opposed to just believing it. To know something requires evidence. I've already shown that the evidence NGL offered is subjective. Subjectivity does not allow one to "know" something. It takes objective evidence for that.