Goodbye Jesus

Christian: What If There Were No God?

EdwardAbbey

So please then explain to me how it is that you and NGL "know" this information as opposed to just believing it.

This comes dangerously close to philosophy in my estimation Vigile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology

Here's an interesting quote from the link you provided:

If someone believes something, he or she thinks that it is true, but he or she may be mistaken. This is not the case with knowledge. For example, suppose that Jeff thinks that a particular bridge is safe, and attempts to cross it; unfortunately, the bridge collapses under his weight. We might say that Jeff believed that the bridge was safe, but that his belief was mistaken. It would not be accurate to say that he knew that the bridge was safe, because plainly it was not. For something to count as knowledge, it must actually be true.

And that's bad because?

Anyway, my point is that they stated they know god exists as if its a fact. As FF clearly pointed out, it's just their belief.

I don't think it's bad at all. In fact, I often feel that we should engage in some necessary epistemological considerations here at Ex-C. If we can't agree on an epistemology then we are not likely to agree on many things.

I think I understand what you are driving at with the belief vs knowledge thing. And I think it is appropriate.

How would Christians get through the day and with their lives if there were no God?

What if there was never a bible written? How would you be able to live a moral life?

What purpose would you have if such things never existed?

How would you cope with lifes problems without a God?

These could be some tough questions for Christians. No kiddin'

So take your time when considering your answers.

Thanks.

:scratch:

It's hard to imagine because I know there is. But I personally beleive the world would be a completly diffrent place if there were no God. (For the worse) But I guess in this alternate universe I would follow the preconcived morals devolped by society (who knows what those would be) along with my own through life experiences and I would just try to live my life to the fullest. I guess I would try to cope with life problems like I did before I was a Christian in my own way which can work for the little things, but it so hard for human beings in general to cope with big issue such as death, sickness, depression, war and what not. Honestly if there were no God I don't think I would be as able to let go of the bitterness that arises when serious things like that happen. It seems like the only comforts would be death or the promise of a better tomorrow. That being said I'm glad there is a God. (don't bother I know you don't agree)

If you "know" there is a God (BibleGod) there wouldn't be any need for you to have faith. You would also be able to prove God exists wouldn't you? It seems like faith is a very powerful thing in Christian circles. Without it, God would be non-existent. So how can you say that you "know" God exists?