Goodbye Jesus

Do You Fit In Here?

Mike D

I've noticed a few threads lately about people thinking they don't fit in here, and so I started wondering who doesn't think they fit in here and why? On some levels I don't feel like I fit in here, but I wouldn't think about leaving this place, I like it here. Maybe one of the reasons I like it is that it's very diverse.... there's a large variety of people from all different backgrounds, ages, cultures, etc., and I haven't found that on many other sites before.

For the vast majority of people here, I don't think it matters whether someone is a deist, atheist, theist, agnostic, or whatever people want to call themselves or label themselves. The point is we are not Christians, right? So based on that, do you feel like you fit in here? Why or why not? :shrug:

On some levels I don't feel like I fit in here, but I wouldn't think about leaving this place, I like it here.

Pretty much what I think too. Obviously, a (non-morontheist) believer doesn't fully fit in here, considering that most folks here are atheists (and some of the belligerent kind ;) )... but then, like the Romans know already, variatio delectat.

So we disagree on certain things. Big deal. That's life, and life would be fucking boring if we never did. :)

I"m not even an ex-Christian and I feel like I fit in...buncha weirdos...:)

As ex-Christians, we have a responsibility to help and encourage all those who have just left, or are leaving, Christianity. Why should we all be on the same path to be welcome? When this becomes ex-christian-athiest.net I think I'll leave.

I"m not even an ex-Christian and I feel like I fit in...buncha weirdos...:)

Takes one to know one! :grin:

Do I feel I fit in? No, but I don't think I've ever felt like I fit in anywhere anyway. Except at home with my immediate family, the one I have now, not the one I grew up with. I'm not going anywhere though, I enjoy my time here, and I learn things.

I am new to these forums, but from what I've seen so far, I think I will fit in just fine. It is nice to comment on a religious topic without being labeled a "militant atheist".

I think that anyone who enjoys having their closely held ideas challenged fits in here. If you are holding on to sacred cows and you don't like being called out on that or are unable and unwilling to defend your position, then you might not feel comfortable here. This board is full of posters seeking intellectual honesty, which sometimes doesn't offer the safety of leaving untenable ideas unchallenged. Since most of us escaped xianity because we don't enjoy holding onto ill conceived beliefs, most ex christians should feel right at home here regardless of whether or not there is a consensus on the god question.

I find this board intellectually stimulating, which is why I've been around so long.

To be honest, I'm one who feels like they never fit in anywhere. This is one of the few places where I can be me.

However I am getting very burned out on the whole subject of religion, so I steer clear from debates now.

I think that anyone who enjoys having their closely held ideas challenged fits in here. If you are holding on to sacred cows and you don't like being called out on that or are unable and unwilling to defend your position, then you might not feel comfortable here.

That has a lot to do with it for me, too. When I came here, I was a Deist, heavily influenced by Paganism (mostly Asatru). The intellectual exercises I've been encouraged to do via much participation here have led me through Theistic Asatru, Agnosticism, Atheism, general Paganism, mixtures of the aforementioned, and has also caused me to re-re-evaluate LaVeyan Satanism and Buddhism and realize the major roles those paths also play in my life. It's also helped me to truly individualize my personal religious beliefs and come to better understand, I think, the true nature and importance of religion - as well as heap up loads of dirt on Xianity :pureevil:

Like Thurisaz and Amethyst and others have said, I don't feel like I totally belong here, but I still like it. I never fit in totally with any group, but that's just my nature. I'm too independent and individualistic (and too stubborn) to fit in wholly with anything, or even want to.

Ain't got no plans to leave anytime soon :)

Wow! So many people who don't fit anywhere. No wonder I feel like I fit here. At last I am with other like-minded folk--people who don't fit anywhere. Oxymoron? Probably. Or maybe it's a cowsie-moron?

This site is for people that don't fit in into the Christian club anymore, so if you don't fit in, then you do fit in here.

Everyone has a different story, and the personalities are so incredible different.

But for many visitors, they stay for awhile and manage to get through the process of ridding themselves of the dogmatic mind and the religious bonds from Christianity, and whatever they go into after that is their own choice. But I think the purpose of this website is to help people transform and process.

This site isn't a destination, it is just a part of the road one might travel.

Like Thurisaz and Amethyst and others have said, I don't feel like I totally belong here, but I still like it. I never fit in totally with any group, but that's just my nature. I'm too independent and individualistic (and too stubborn) to fit in wholly with anything, or even want to.

Which is exactly why all you guys DO fit in here. I sincerely hope none of you are going anywhere soon.

I fit in better here than most places. I'm not particularly label sensitive at all anymore, and I think being here has certainly helped.

Labels are for the Label-minded. Expecting a label to completely fit your life is like expecting to completely fit in somewhere.

All you can really hope for is a certain level of understanding and satisfaction with those around you. I find that here, and I'm not going anywhere.

I come here for a certian type of discussion, just as I go to a parenting board for a different type of discussion, and a heavy metal board for other discussions.

I'm far too complex for one board to fit me.....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

so does this make Ex-C the 'place for people who don't fit in to fit in'?

:huh:

so does this make Ex-C the 'place for people who don't fit in to fit in'?

Yup. It's just like Russell's Paradox, A set of all sets that are not members of themselves. That set is a member of itself if and only if it is not a member of itself... which leads to a paradox.

We don't fit in anywhere, therefore we fit in here.

But then we fit in somewhere and we shouldn't fit in here.

Which means that we do fit in... Gah!

I like to think I fit in as well as I'm capable of it. I'm not nearly so well read on matters of theology, philosophy, logic, those other arts that some of the members seem to be so astute on. From those people I've enjoyed simply reading their posts and keeping my own big mouth shut. It's a learning experience for me. But I do join in for what the site is all about, and that is to give support to those who have left or are leaving christianity. I may not log in every day, but I try to catch the current threads every day to see what everybody's talking about.

Do I feel I fit in? No, but I don't think I've ever felt like I fit in anywhere anyway. Except at home with my immediate family, the one I have now, not the one I grew up with.

Good viewpoint. Who says we need to "fit in" anyway. Fitting in generally leads to taking others at their word simply because they are similar to you. I too find myself not always fitting in, and that's a good thing. I believe we all could use a little opposition and other people who can help us to think differently about things, but above all we should decide our beliefs for ourselves and not let others decide for us.

I'm one of those people who don't fit in anywhere else, except when I am with like-minded people. That happens rarely. This is one of those rare times.

Hhhm I think so... It has been great having a safe place to come to think out loud, to hear others perspectives on issues. When your world is still full of xians, it takes a while to make a new world outside of the dogma.

It is nice to know that others have been there.. are there... and have come out on the other side ok.. oh and that god didn't strike them down..if there is a god.. which honestly I have gone back and forth on over the last couple of months.

I definitly do not fit in the xian world anymore......but am definitly not a atheist.. agnostic perhaps pagan spiritual humanist...who still sometimes prays to Jesus in my dreams and wonders how on earth did I believe all that and then the next week wonders...crap what if they were right and the xian god will send me to the fiery place forever...

BUT

I am pretty sure I have read other people say they have gone through a similar process when leaving xianity... it takes a while

I don't think it's a whether you fit or don't fit issue. I thinks it's a question of does coming here help you in some way. I do more reading than I do posting. I've found the more I've read and the more I have learned that I never fit into Christianity which is why I went from catholic to methodist and then to finally labeling myself Agnostic. While I thought that organized religion was evil (for lack of a better word) before coming here, the more horror stories I've read has convinced me of that. I found this site after making those determinations but because I'm still stuck at how we came to be I keep coming back. Sometimes I really do want to know how we came to be and at other times I'm ok not knowing. I'm not sure you can even call me agnostic but I don't know what else to call myself.

Who says anyone has to fit in? I feel a sense of relief being in a place where I'm not pressured to conform. As extians, we probably all feel the need on some basic level to fit into a group, to be labeled and pigeonholed. It's more convenient and easy that way when your role is prescribed. But I say f that.

I love this group of individuals to death, and damned , if I have anything to say about it, if I would let this thing deteriorate into a bunch of lockstep slogan shouters.

Which is exactly why all you guys DO fit in here. I sincerely hope none of you are going anywhere soon.

Can't speak for all of us, but I for sure don't intend to leave anytime soon ;):fdevil:

I like this site because it gives me the oppurtunity to vent my rage and animosity towards Christianity. And I don't have to worry about battling apologists and fundie love bombings such as, "Oh, you've just fallen off the path" or "Be angry with man not with God..." and other bullshit like that. Granted, I am very different, in alot of ways, to many people here. But I've come to realize that I am actually more similiar to everyone here as well....It feels really good to be in a place where you don't feel judged.