Goodbye Jesus

Something from nothing

Druid

There is an old saying:

"Could God create a rock so heavy that he couldnt pick it up?" ... "Yes, but then he would pick it up."  And while this saying is not necessarily meant to be taken literally, it does help illustrate God's power.

You mean your gawd's impotence.

Not that we'd need that goo' ol' saying to show how powerless this wannabe "god" really is. His own "revealed word" admits it clearly.

And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

I guess this explains why your gawd is so strangely absent today. Everytime he looks down on this earth, he shits his pants upon seeing... this:

"I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the biblical verses that cause my above statements to be in contradiction with The Word of God. Would you please be so kind as to provide them for me?"

Yeah, I know. I don't get it. Christian comes here, has the balls to tell everyone that every single prophecy that Jesus made came true, and then when someone points out one (of the many) that did not come true, he is "unfamiliar with that particular prophecy". This response is probably in the works.

Why do people who haven't gotten to know their holy bok inside and out still come to us and try to preach? Do they think none of us know how to read? :scratch::shrug:

I never said that ALL of the Bible's prophecies have come true, many many are still in the works.

And I am not contradicting the Bible by saying that I chose to live my life for God:

" I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them." -Deuteronomy 30:19-20

" But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." -Joshua 24:15

Predestination and free choice do actually work together.

Does it have a name? I'd be interested in the explaination of wave-particle duality.

It is also known as M Theory. It is similar to string theory, but postulates membranes in place of strings and 11 dimensions rather than 10. Some theorists have thought that maybe the big bang was a collision of 'branes as they call membranes.

A master can have a friendship bond with his slave, even though in the case of me and God... i am not a slave.  I have chosen to live my life for God, and i am still able to walk away from that.  But i do not, because i love my Lord.

You mean you have not -- not you do not. Most of us here had this same conviction at one time. Most of us "loved the Lord". Do not suppose that what we found out you will not find out as well, especially if you keep thinking about it.

" But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." -Joshua 24:15

Aaryn: you are so far over your head, and you don't even know it. Choose for you this day who YOU will serve. Will it be the Gods of Egypt (partially) will it be the Gods of Persia? some. Will it be the philosophy of the Greeks, yep. You have no fucking clue what christianity even is all about or how it came about.

Q: why is Christmas celebrated on Dec. 25? Christs b-day? wrong. Go ahead, research it.

Q. Why did Paul not know about Christ's miracles or virgin birth? Hmm...

We'll give em to you in small doses so as not to overwhelm you.

OK just another little one. Where does the word "easter" come from?

If you're gonna be a self-righteous little evangelist jerk, ya better get ready to chain up.

Will it be the philosophy of the Greeks, yep.

I have a new one. The Philosophy of the Geeks! :)

... But by definition, a god is all-powerful, and would not be a god if he couldnt do anything.

There is an old saying:

"Could God create a rock so heavy that he couldnt pick it up?" ... "Yes, but then he would pick it up."  And while this saying is not necessarily meant to be taken literally, it does help illustrate God's power.

Aaryn, SWEETHEART, your illustration illustrates absolutely NOTHING about any entity, because it is meaningless. What it illustrates is that you have said something unintelligible. The old "can God create something so heavy He (an omnipotent being) can't pick it up?" question shows that the questioner does not know what he is talking about. There's no point in saying it's not necessarily meant to be taken literally - it just means nothing. The premises behind the question reduce to

1. God is omnipotent

2. God is not omnipotent

This is just the same thing as saying that God can create a square triangle. Nothing has been asserted about God, because nothing has been asserted. Instead, the principle of non-contradiction is violated. That is one of the basic laws of discourse.

From a contradiction, anything follows. That means that all statements are true. That destroys discourse. Aaryn exists and does not exist, and on and on.

I have a new one. The Philosophy of the Geeks!

You mean, the one where all the Trekkies and Linux users take over the world? That would be awesome.

You mean, the one where all the Trekkies and Linux users take over the world?  That would be awesome.

And the Jebuz Borgs.

Guest Joseph
When people use the agruement:

You cann't create something from nothing. Therefore god created it.

What do they mean? What did god create all this stuff from?

Surely not nothing.

I have not read the entire thread, if I repeate something someone said I want to appologize upfront.

This (the generated from nothingness universe) is a type of displace which the faithful attempt through ignorance alone.

They claim that God is eternal and by such He spoke the universe into being.

The thing is that there is no reason to believe nor accept that space-time existed prior to the big bang and by such there is nothing in existence except the singularity and then space-time after this "point zero."

The argument then goes to "if God is eternal why not matter?" We have evidence for matter. We can test matter. Matter is neither created nor destroyed so far as evidenced by our current methods. Therefore it is very likely that matter has always existed (if only in the form of energy then, perhaps singularity again).

So if anyone ever says their God created the universe it is displacement, for any claim that their "god" generated or created matter/energy is not demonstrated by nature to be possible, and second if their god can be eternal then so could the singularity (or universe there of). God is not needed in this discussion at all.

Another argument that makes more sense to me is that say an Infinite Being actually did show a primitive man the Singularity expanding to become the known universe. It would appear that an infinitely small particle expanded to become the known universe. The primitive man would then pen "from nothing all was created" due to his inability to understand what the Supernatural Entity was demonstrating to him (and then you could make the argument that so as not to contaminate the timeline the Supernatural Entity allowed this misunderstanding).

But that is all hypothetical to the extreme.

J, well said.

This thread came as a spin-off from another topic that Invictus started. Somehow we tend to get at least 1 guy or more a week that claim God must exist because the Universe came from Nothing argument.

And I think you post were pretty good. Right on!

The only problem we've noticed is that some of these Topic starters don't listen to the arguments, not even when they're so eloquently laid out as yours. I hope you stick around for the next time we get a Cosmological Argument Dementor on this site. :)

Yeah, I know.  I don't get it.  Christian comes here, has the balls to tell everyone that every single prophecy that Jesus made came true, and then when someone points out one (of the many) that did not come true, he is "unfamiliar with that particular prophecy".  This response is probably in the works.

I never said that ALL of the Bible's prophecies have come true, many many are still in the works.

:twitch:

Dang, Cerise, your good!!

:twitch:

Predestination and free choice do actually work together.

Aaryn: on another thread I showed you some "prophecies" of your god-man that have been proven false. It's not that they are "still in the works". The time has come and gonefor them to come true.

(as a reminder to you, it's the "Prove that the" thread which was started by thankful.)

Show where I am wrong, or admit that Jesus was a false prophet. Or admit that the bible may have attributed some sayings to Jesus that he didn't really say. Or admit that Jesus is a myth and the whole gospel story is a plagiarism and aggregate concoction of other religions. My point is, THINK FOR YOURSELF.

If you just come in here and quote scripture, no one will take you seriously, and you'll become unpopular very quickly. Don't take pot-shots at us. We aren't idiots here. We know the bible quite well already, thank you. If you're looking for an audience to evangelize, you've picked a pretty tough crowd.

Everytime I see this thread title I think of the Dire Straits lyrics...

That ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it

Money for nothin’ and your chicks for free

Now, why is that? :scratch:

Guest Joseph
(snip)

If you just come in here and quote scripture, no one will take you seriously,

Not me, I'm almost converted...

...and you'll become unpopular very quickly.

I hate every equally, I'm an equal opertunity misanthrope.

:HaHa:

Don't take pot-shots at us.  We aren't idiots here.

He doesn't speak for me, I take great pride in my ability to be a total idiot at times.

We know the bible quite well already, thank you.  If you're looking for an audience to evangelize, you've picked a pretty tough crowd.

Not me, I'm all ready to get back to theocractical rule. Get some nice warm fires going, roasting a nice chicken along with some witches and infidels...always makes the chicken taste better.

:rolleyes:

:blink:

:brutal_01:

:fdevil:

Not me, I'm almost converted...

AC/DC Converter?

I hate every equally, I'm an equal opertunity misanthrope.

And don't miss the rope.

He doesn't speak for me, I take great pride in my ability to be a total idiot at times.

Not me, I'm all ready to get back to theocractical rule.  Get some nice warm fires going, roasting a nice chicken along with some witches and infidels...always makes the chicken taste better.

:lmao: love that. Don't forget the garlic.

Btw, J. you know Mythra didn't say these things to you, right?

Guest Joseph
AC/DC Converter?

HEHEHHEEHEHHEHEHEHEH.

And don't miss the rope.

:lmao: love that. Don't forget the garlic.

If I can't pook fun at the fundies, who will?

Btw, J. you know Mythra didn't say these things to you, right?

Yeah, but I take pride in butting in and being rude, all a part of my normal invidiousness.

:scratch:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=invidiousness