Goodbye Jesus

I Hate Computers And Allied Gear

nivek

I'm a bastard like that...

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

All I have to say is once you go Mac, you'll never go back! :wicked:

Although you have to sell your organs to afford them, and the word 'upgrade' means 'buy a new one'...

Absolutely!

Although you have to sell your organs to afford them, and the word 'upgrade' means 'buy a new one'...

Rubbish.

Absolutely!

Rubbish.

There speaks a man who earns a shitload more than me :)

Compaq F500 Presario - £469

Apple Powerbook - £704 (comparing a mid range PC laptop with the bottom range Powerbook price)

With the same mean time to obsolescence, I don't see the Powerbook as exactly a future proof investment... Are they the Rolls=Royce of personal computers? Hell, yeah. Are they actually affordable on average, no, since there is no economy of scale... having said that, they are reliable, and easy to use. However, it's about as closed as architecture can get. Which is why it's both reliable and expensive. I also dislike Apple's pretence at Open Source... the now very dead OpenDarwin project.

Having said that, any OS vendor will shit on the user more regularly than a character from a novel by De Sade...

We have always had Mac's and rarely have any problems. We have NEVER had a virus! The reality is the price is comparable with PC's now. It is the same reason I'll only buy a Honda or Toyota when it comes to cars. Problem free=Priceless! :grin:

We have always had Mac's and rarely have any problems. We have NEVER had a virus! The reality is the price is comparable with PC's now. It is the same reason I'll only buy a Honda or Toyota when it comes to cars. Problem free=Priceless! :grin:

It's still a higher price and a lot harder to 'sweat the asset'... as I said, great when money isn't an object, and you are mostly tied to one vendor, who's now primary earner is a glorified MP3 player and an online record store... I admit technical superiority to the PC on all count, save having a choice of vendors and plenty of available documentation for grubbing around inthe innards of the machine if one can't, or doesn't want, to pay a man 20 shillings to grub around for you (and remember... no one cares about your data like you do :D)

In my more than 20 years of working in the industry, I've never had a virus (apart from the times I've deliberately infected a DMZ machine to take the beastie apart...)

Since M$ is going to stop supporting Windows XP starting from next year, all the old computers that people buy or receive need to run a different OS, when you can't get a new WinXP license, and the hardware doesn't support Vista.

Gramps, after you've spent your $ on your PC and then have to spend a further sh!tload of $ on all the software that doesn't come with the OS - it ends up actually being more expensive than a Mac which has all the software one could ever want pre-installed. And then on a PC you have to buy antivirus software, which has to be continually updated. And drivers for all the various software that isn't necessarily supported by MS, and new drivers each and every time they upgrade the OS.

I have a love hate relationship. By and large computers are, if you know how to use them, one of the last great tools of freedom of information... Although I don't often bother with paranoiac identity hiding, it's not hard these days...

Computer+internet access is by bestest best friend.

Gramps, after you've spent your $ on your PC and then have to spend a further sh!tload of $ on all the software that doesn't come with the OS - it ends up actually being more expensive than a Mac which has all the software one could ever want pre-installed. And then on a PC you have to buy antivirus software, which has to be continually updated. And drivers for all the various software that isn't necessarily supported by MS, and new drivers each and every time they upgrade the OS.

You live in a world without opensource? I've not paid for an AV or Office program in 6 years... and I've yet to buy a chunk of hardware that doesn't have M$ drivers bundled... You don't have 'drivers' for software, unless you're running some abstruse VM environment, which isn't common in the Mac world. However, Firefox is my browser of choice, Thunderbird my mailer and OpenOffice does everything I want want it to do and is (seamlessly) cross platform with my Unix Pentium 3 kit (which IS where I encounter driver problems 801.1g wireless chipset support for BSD isn't good), then there is GIMP for my graphics work... I won't bother anyone with which AV software I use, save to say it's free, handles root kits and trojans and doesn't make the machine run like a two legged horse...

And 'All' the software... M$ Office for X is £425 (~800 USD) on top of the price of the bottom end Powerbook I quoted above. Yes, it's pretty, but it's also expensive. So I think your reasoning is, if not exactly flawed, is a little off base.

As I said... Apple is superior technically, and is the Canine Gonads for media work. However, it prices itself out of mass market on most fronts, and really has minimal geek appeal since you can't rummage, fettle, firtle or otherwise abuse the architecture to get it to do more than you paid for it to do...

You live in a world without opensource? I've not paid for an AV or Office program in 6 years... and I've yet to buy a chunk of hardware that doesn't have M$ drivers bundled... You don't have 'drivers' for software, unless you're running some abstruse VM environment, which isn't common in the Mac world. However, Firefox is my browser of choice, Thunderbird my mailer and OpenOffice does everything I want want it to do and is (seamlessly) cross platform with my Unix Pentium 3 kit (which IS where I encounter driver problems 801.1g wireless chipset support for BSD isn't good), then there is GIMP for my graphics work... I won't bother anyone with which AV software I use, save to say it's free, handles root kits and trojans and doesn't make the machine run like a two legged horse...

And 'All' the software... M$ Office for X is £425 (~800 USD) on top of the price of the bottom end Powerbook I quoted above. Yes, it's pretty, but it's also expensive. So I think your reasoning is, if not exactly flawed, is a little off base.

As I said... Apple is superior technically, and is the Canine Gonads for media work. However, it prices itself out of mass market on most fronts, and really has minimal geek appeal since you can't rummage, fettle, firtle or otherwise abuse the architecture to get it to do more than you paid for it to do...

I am also using Firefox and Thunderbird and NeoOffice (OpenOffice). I have no need for graphics apps. I have no need to rummage around in a system that works, as I had to do time and time again with Windows everytime I installed new hardware or thirdparty software.

One doesn't need to buy MS office, Mac has Pages and Keynotes which is the same thing.

Two different spectrums.

and since 98 launched I had minimal problems getting s/ware or hardware to work out of the box... There again RTFM (or at least the quickstart guide) has always been a rule of thumb... that and 'this is designed for normal people to use... it can't be hard...' (ME was however an object lesson in never, ever, an OS named for a debilitating illness....)

"One doesn't need to buy MS office, Mac has Pages and Keynotes which is the same thing."

Yet people do...