Goodbye Jesus

My Deconversion.

Guest Bright

Guest Bright

Greetings! I'm the same FB on atheistforums.com

Okay....I've been a skeptic most of my life, and an ardent believe for about 5% of that time. I've always held that science reveals to us the essence of reality, not faith (which I could never clearly define). When I was ten years old, I argued with my Sunday School teacher for evolution, challenging his literal take on Genesis. Some in the class admitted that science may show the way God created the universe and humans. I owe this little victory to Carl Sagan's Cosmos series on PBS!

So I've been at this a while, in my 30+ years. I finally went out and bought Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris and The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I told myself I'd make a note on the page in his book when I finally resolved to embrace atheism. It turned out to be p286, following the sad story of scientist Kurt Wise's rejection of reason and acceptance of the Bible as the literal word of God (including the young earth view). I scribbled "I'M CHANGED NOW" halfway down the page. And that was it! I haven't told my family, which is not so fundamentalist anyway, or any friends from my old church. But I'm boldly moving into a future of reason, confidence in my own abilities and a new love of life and the world guilt-free.

That's my story. Glad to be here!

Congratulations! Good to have ya!

I told myself I'd make a note on the page in his book when I finally resolved to embrace atheism. It turned out to be p286, following the sad story of scientist Kurt Wise's rejection of reason and acceptance of the Bible as the literal word of God (including the young earth view). I scribbled "I'M CHANGED NOW" halfway down the page. And that was it! I haven't told my family, which is not so fundamentalist anyway, or any friends from my old church. But I'm boldly moving into a future of reason, confidence in my own abilities and a new love of life and the world guilt-free.

Congrats! I had a similar "final moment," which I described in a longer post elsewhere. Basically, it was that the point I asked myself, "if you were already a non-Christian, would you really buy any of this?" The answer was, "no, of course not." I was already well along the road to atheism by that time, but that was the moment when I really "killed God."

My immediate reaction was similar to yours. Not "oh no, I won't live forever!" or "but that means there's no meaning to life" ... but "I'm free!"

I don't know Kurt Wise's story ... but it reminds me of that of Jim Irwin (Apollo 15 lunar module pilot), whom I've always felt was a pathetic figure; he accomplished some magnificent things, then spent the rest of his life on fool's errands like trying to find the remains of Noah's ark.

'The God Delusion' huh? Sounds interesting, maybe I'll check it out. Is Dawkins one of those athiests whose favorite pastimes is to sit around and cry about organized religion and all of the evil it has caused in this world? eh, many of the athiests I've run into seem to think that they hold a monopoly over all intelligent discourse. It's almost like a plague.

^_^ Bright, your transition seems to have gone smoothly. Sounds like you're one of the luckier ones. Welcome to the dark side, or I guess bright side for you.

Searching for Noah's ark would have been interesting.

Kirangel, please read the Rules for this Section. Section reserved for those who have left their various systems.

kFL

Kirangel,

If you would have bothered to read the forum rules Christains are not allowed to post in the "Testimonies" section.

Taph

Kirangel,

If you would have bothered to read the forum rules Christains are not allowed to post in the "Testimonies" section.

Taph

I'm not a christian. But I'll check out the rules again regardless, I read through them fast.

Welcome Bright. Stick around there are some great people here to talk with.

Kirangel,

Taph

I'm not a christian. But I'll check out the rules again regardless, I read through them fast.

Then why does your signature say: Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and acts like a duck, what is it?

Bright, welcome to the forums! Being set free--that was my experience, too. The joy of liberty and life gives meaning to life. No need to look one step further.

By the way, I love your avatar. It reflects the clarity of thought you seem to have.

Welcome to the forums Bright! :wave: