What It Means For You To Be "spiritual"

Jun

If I may start the first topic in this new section, I was wondering if I may ask for opinions on what it means for you to be "spiritual."

For me, in discussions about Buddhism with non-Asians the term "spiritual" often comes up. Indeed it is the very title of this section - Ex-Christian Theism or Spirituality. I ask, what is "spirituality?"

Wiki states -

Spirituality, in a narrow sense, concerns itself with matters of the spirit. The spiritual, involving (as it may) perceived eternal verities regarding humankind's ultimate nature, often contrasts with the temporal, with the material, or with the worldly. A sense of connection forms a central defining characteristic of spirituality — connection to something "greater" than oneself, which includes an emotional experience of religious awe and reverence.

More in line with the teachings of Buddhism we have the following from Wiki -

Many spiritual traditions, accordingly, share a common spiritual theme: the "path", "work", practice, or tradition of perceiving and internalizing one's "true" nature and relationship to the rest of existence (God, creation (the universe), or life), and of becoming free of the lesser egoic self (or ego) in favour of being more fully one's "true" "Self".

What is your take on the meaning of "spirituality?" How do you live a "spiritual" life?

What is your take on the meaning of "spirituality?" How do you live a "spiritual" life?

Very apathetic I guess :)

I do acknowledge the existence of my faith's deities, I honor them and take care to always have an offering on my small home altar (usually of the mead & wine kind ;) ), but aside from that I live a pretty secular life. I rarely pray or similar for I rarely see a need to do so, for example. And I don't often contemplate spiritual matters either. Sometimes, but not often. ;)

connection to something "greater" than oneself, which includes an emotional experience of religious awe and reverence.

This is a good definition for what I seek in a spiritual sense. I tend to use the phrase as an alternaive to religion, and on many occasions have called religion the politics of spirituality.

I see it as a component to a larger self, one that includes the physical, emotional and intellectual. Spiritual is that which connects me to everyone and everything, in a grand scheme kind of way, as opposed to physical which binds me to the particular location of the Earth, through gravity and other forces of nature.

I do not attempt leaps of faith. But I do attempt to stretch my personal bnoundries into areas unknown to me, even if they are well tred territory for others.

Maybe spirituality is a redundant aspect of emotionality. Just the projection of ones emotional response into the universe. Maybe it is something else entirely. Whichever, it fascinates me to no end.

In a sense, my spirituality comes in the form of feeling a connection with Mother Nature/The Universe her/itself, feeling attuned to the rest of the world and a part of it rather than apart from it. The sense that you are a small but intrinsic part of something far bigger than yourself, and far beyond what you can grasp on an intellectual level. That there is something more than what can be perceived with your eyes.

I do engage in ritual from time to time, but that's not the matter of focus for me. What matters for me is retaining that feeling of being a part of a greater whole... without resorting to illegal drugs, of course. Understanding human nature in the emotional sense is also an important factor, because it means coming closer to understanding my nature.

With the celtic way as my chosen path I must accept my responsebility for all things I do. What ever I do affects this world in either bringing it closer to a state of order or of chaos. Acheving order is for the good of all Chaos brings random destruction. And whatever you do comes back to you thrice. Now or in your next life. This way everything I do is a spiritual action. And if I do all things right I will return to my last point an the everwinding spiral one step higher. Literary said, the celts believed, that doing heroic deeds will bring you enough honour to become a deity (I'd say this is true even today if you look at such people like Mother Teresa or Gandi [or even Madonna] for all the people looking up to them and who are trying to follow their lead.

There are the celtic gods, those who are asked for help as are there totemspirits and the ancestors. All can and will guide you if you ask them to but in the end the action is all up to you. Even if they grant you mystical powers.

Celtic festivals are bound to the land and the animals, dedicated to special gods and always something celebrated in the community. I try to celebrate them with my friends and with the proper rites wich are only scarcely knowen but I know that it is the intent the gods honor.

The rest of the year I try to stay close to nature and follow celtic thinkig and behaving and most importend to learn and help and get my life done.

I think thats it... mostly...

I'm a Christopagan Witch so my chosen path is very eclectic to say the least. To me spirituality means to block out all the maddening voices of the past, present, and future that have been and are still, and will always be arguing over what "The Divine Entity in the Sky" is and how it should be worshipped and start listening to your own heart. For "The Divine Entity in the Sky" will speak to your spirit as to what is the best route for you personally... you and no one else. For spiritual journeys are meant to be taken alone in my humble opinion. Yes, along the way we can share our stories with others who are wanting to listen, but ultimately it's a journey where only 2 can walk the path... you and "The Divine Entity in the Sky."

All my life I always heard the phrases like "...have a personal relationship with Jesus." I've often wondered how can they have a "personal relationship" with Jesus when they have so many others in their relationship with Jesus with them... the church, church members, social status that comes from being a good member of the church... How can they? Mainstream Christianity will never be able to have a "personal relationship with their "Divine Entity in the Sky" until they get all the other people and stuff out of the way first.

An appreciation for, and enjoyment of, that which is.

Plenty enough spirituality for me.

Good question...

I am working hard to realize that being spirtitual can mean something else other than what xianity calls it... and realizing that being spiritual can mean other things.. like appriciating the sunset... enjoying good food.. planting seeds and nurturing them... creating art... making love.. living life for each day doing what you love, not allowing others to treat you badly..being a kind of human being

For me that is what spirituality is to me.. that and well I seem to be able to sense peoples auraus of whether they are kind people or nasty or happy or sad... to me that is a bit of spirituality as well.. however I try not to think about that too much as it starts me thinking about xianity and that spiritual world... I just can't go there..

I would rather believe in nothing and the power of the universe, than the spiritual realm of how I was taught.. and sometimes still wonder if it does exsist to some extent..

The ultimate spirtiuality for me now is painting... since I have found that it feels like I am breathing.. so I geuss doing what you love and have passion for is what has spiritual meaning for me.

I am basically a Deist and a devout follower of the Lard Jesus Kryasst. I believe that Kryasst Croaked in the Spook for the shit that I did that pissed Him off and that He Magically Undeadened Himself and flew back up to the Sky Kingdom to live with the Holy Farter (who is also somehow magically Him) so that by believing in Him my inner spook could be magically undeadened by the Holy Spook and I can live for eternity with the Lard in the Sky Kingdom. Glory! :grin:

Although I believe in God (in a deistic sort of a God), spirituality for me doesn't really involve anything supernatural or any sort of special preparation for an afterlife. I believe in treating people right. I believe in doing whatever is obviously the right thing to do in any given situation. I believe in helping people as much as I can whenever and however I can. I believe that love and compassion should govern my dealings with other people as much as reasonably possible. I guess spirituality for me currently boils down to just being the best person that I can possibly be. That should please both men and God. :)

Damned good question - damned hard to answer :scratch:

Sometimes, my spirituality is basically just waxing romantic and philosophical about my overall religious convictions. Other times, I may engage in ritual or other magical practice, according to my disposition. Since ethics and lifestyle are the most important things about any religion (ie, what makes or breaks a religion), focusing on those things is my spirituality. I will focus on magic and ritual (of secondary importance) and matters of theology (only of tertiary importance to me, being ultimately an Agnostic) as the mood strikes me to.

In general, I suppose "spirituality" for me basically refers to the focus upon anything associated with any religious belief or path I follow or manufacture for myself.

To me, spirituality has mostly been the subset of religion that is personal, and is your own thing. Being "spiritual," if one can be such a thing, to me, is sort of plugging into something bigger than yourself, by pushing yourself to your limits and realizing, once you hit and go past them, that there is indeed a bigger world out there than you understood there to be.

Mostly, though, it is something very hard to put into words. One of those things where people seem to know it but can't explain/describe it.

I think this is one of those areas where I'm broken. To me, spritual things are something that other people experience but leave me scratching my head.

It's my connection to myself, my existance, and everything else. It's when I feel most at home.

Well, I've been known to say that I don't have a need for spirituality. Maybe that's not fair.

Tonight I had an experience that I would think might qualify on some level of spirituality. I watched the Scorpians perform live in Palace Square in front of the Hermitage here in St Petersburg (yes, I got back from India last week). Watching them perform "Winds of Change" was just too much. I remember watching the Berlin Wall being torn down in '89 and weeping as I watched an entire block of peoples gain their freedom in one sweeping moment. Hearing the Scorps perform a song about that moment in the cultural capital of Russia had me swaying with the crowd, hands in the air as tears rolled down my cheeks.

I'll never forget this evening.

Ah, the people who introduced whistling to Heavy Rock... I had a German rock phase many moons ago...

If transcendental experience wasn't possible, then we wouldn't be able to sell religions in the first place...

I think this is one of those areas where I'm broken. To me, spritual things are something that other people experience but leave me scratching my head.

It's a particular collection of synapses... Can't remember the name of the study... involved a load of Tibetans, We don't all have them, nor does everyone have them as well 'developed' as others. It's part of the reason I think we selectively bred it into our selves, by killing the ones who pointed out the Emperor was naked.

Interesting. I wonder if that's why I can't be hypnotized. Several professionals have tried and it just doesn't work on me. (I thought it would help me quit smoking.)

....Watching them perform "Winds of Change" was just too much. I remember watching the Berlin Wall being torn down in '89 and weeping as I watched an entire block of peoples gain their freedom in one sweeping moment. Hearing the Scorps perform a song about that moment in the cultural capital of Russia had me swaying with the crowd, hands in the air as tears rolled down my cheeks.

I'll never forget this evening.

That's as good a spiritual experience as anyone can have.

Feelin' connected - feelin' groovy. :)

What's the difference between a spiritual moment and an emotional moment?

Hi Garnet,

That's the problem w/ the word "spiritual" for skeptics - to me it is an emotion, a feeling of connectedness to something larger than yourself. Be that the planet, a perceived deity, another person, maybe a set of objects we identify as representing something else, like a pantheon of deities.

The object seems to depend on the needs of the person feelin' the groove.

Well, that makes a bit more sense. I was a musician in my youth and there were certainly times when I was "in the zone." Where the music seemed to be coming from someplace deep inside and it was all good. I've been to the Grand Canyon many times and have had feelings of awe every time. I've been moved to tears and laughter by art or music or even a walk in the desert or the woods.

I never thought of those as spiritual though...just...I dunno...human.

I never thought of those as spiritual though...just...I dunno...human.

Yeah, I think that's all it is. It's just a matter of language.

For me, spirituality means extending my senses and my mind ever so slightly beyond the established limits. Something like fording a deep stream and trusting that I'll find stepping stones... I can't see the path that I walk, but neither am I drowning or being swept downstream.

Ultimately it comes down to trusting my own life and the unseen web of causes and effects that supports me, and enjoying even the scary parts of the adventure.

For me, spirituality means extending my senses and my mind ever so slightly beyond the established limits. Something like fording a deep stream and trusting that I'll find stepping stones... I can't see the path that I walk, but neither am I drowning or being swept downstream.

Ultimately it comes down to trusting my own life and the unseen web of causes and effects that supports me, and enjoying even the scary parts of the adventure.

I've said it before, some here are more "Buddhist" than they realise.