Goodbye Jesus

Are "christian" Ex-jehovah's Witnesses Morons Or Is It Just Me?

Guest Firehawk

Guest Firehawk

http://h1.topix.net/forum/who/jehovahs-witnesses

Being an eXtian (specifically an exJW) I find myself annoyed more with "christian" exJWs or Xtians who were never JWs than JWs themselves.

I've been a reader of the postings to exchristian.net almost since it began, and I have learned so many things that help a doubter form the basis of a solid and rational defense against Xtianity. I find it disgusting that so many arguments against Xtianity are being used BY "CHRISTIANS" who claim to be exJWs against JWs (if you bother to click the link above you'll find that the most vehement attackers of the JW cult are people who claim to be exJWs turned "christian.")

Are these people just more gullible than most?

What is wrong with a person who uses a rational argument against all of Xtianity on one particular sect of it while belonging to another?

I'm trying to remember who wrote this work I'm thinking of ... a study of the sociology of religions and cults ... but I can't recall the author or the name of the book. And a few web searches haven't gotten me anywhere. But ... one point the author made, with several terrific examples, was that in general, religions/cults/whatever that are very similar to each other are must more hostile to each other than to ones which are dissimilar.

To the extent that's valid -- and I think it does have a lot of truth to it -- the answer may be more due to general human psychology than Christianity in particular ... although Christianity's pretense of exclusivity to salvation, the command to proselytize, and the implied command to judge anyone not like them as evil and inferior, certainly exacerbate that general tendency to a high degree.

I'll keep looking for that book ...

http://h1.topix.net/forum/who/jehovahs-witnesses

Being an eXtian (specifically an exJW) I find myself annoyed more with "christian" exJWs or Xtians who were never JWs than JWs themselves.

What is wrong with a person who uses a rational argument against all of Xtianity on one particular sect of it while belonging to another?

I'm trying to understand what your question is. I looked at the link provided but I see I have to read an entire forum to get one little point so I pass up on that. Next time perhaps link to or quote one specific post that best says it.

I'm an exMennonite. There are many levels or branches of the Mennonite Church. At one point I moved from an ultra conservative group to a very liberal group. The very conservative group griped about "the world" and how to avoid being contaminated by "the world." Since we dressed and lived very differently from mainstream society, deciding who/what constituted "the world" was very easy to do. Then I moved to the very liberal group. My own group believed I'd sold out to the devil. Most definitely, this very liberal group was the very material of which "the world" was made.

Guess what. They, too, griped about "the world" and how to avoid being contaminated by "the world." Exact same arguments down to actually using the very same words. I found it maddening. If this is the type of thing you are talking about, then yes, I understand and it's not just you. It's the fakeness or superficiality of professing Christians. My one prof used to talk about people who have enough in common to fight. Does one ever see Buddhists and Christians fight? I haven't seen it yet. Does one see Buddhists fighting with Buddhists?

When I took my course on Buddhism, the one thing that struck me hard about their history was how they went to war against each other. Just like the Mennonites. Or Christians in general. So it makes sense that exJWs who converted to another brand of Chrisitanity use arguments against JWs that you would use against Christianity per se. It's the way the world works. Maybe in a million years from now (give or take a couple centuries) humans will have evolved beyond this stage. But for now, this is the way things work. We can choose to steer clear of the arguments.