Goodbye Jesus

What Are Your Views On Other Debatable Topics?

Wertbag

When it comes to belief in topics that can't be proven (and in many cases are heavily debated), other than religion, where do you stand and how have you come to that position?

I'm thinking of the common ones like ghosts, big foot/yeti, alien spacecraft visiting earth and the loch ness monster?

Personally I'd say no, no, maybe and no, simply based on the evidence that I've seen. Obviously peoples experiences may make them believe one over the others, of course there are no right or wrong answers but I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Ghosts... Not in my experience

Big foot... Not in my experience

UFO's... Maybe

Loch ness monster... Not in my experience

I guess that I'm pretty much in agreement with you Wertbag.

What the fuck?

I deal with too much reality in my busy life.. Entertaining something fun and not_so_obvious is often relaxing while we toss barbs and beers at each other..

Whachoomean NESSIE ISN'T REAL?

kFL

Ghosts - yes, because I have seen them and experienced their activity, but I'm not sure what they are or if they require a supernatural explanation

Bigfoot - no, because God couldn't think of a glorious enough Plan for them.

UFOs - sure, it's possible since it's highly unlikely that we are the only intelligent life that Jesus created in this small, flat universe. Most scientists seem to believe that we have never been visited due to the vast distances of interstellar space and the time it would take to get here, but UFO believers say that we definitely have. Who is correct? At this point, who really knows for sure?

Loch Ness Monster - probably not. I think they would have found it by now if it existed. If it does exist though, it is obviously one of Satan's failed experiments. On the other hand, it's good at hiding just like God is, so maybe it is one of God's failed experiments. Or maybe it is God! That's it! Nessie is God! Glory! :woohoo:

Ghosts: Seems somewhat likely to me that they exist, but I wouldn't bet a load of money on it.

Bigfoot/Yeti: I dunno. There are plenty of sightings in my own state, and there are even areas where bigfoot's existence is just kinda assumed. You can talk to the locals and they'll have all kinds of stories for you. But small town yarns aren't proof.

UFO's: I doubt that there are any aliens coming here, but there have been enough strongly supported sightings to show that something weird is happening in the sky. I have no clue what it might be, though.

Loch Ness: Completely implausible that such a creature could still be around, and there's not a shred of decent evidence for it. I suppose it's possible that I'm wrong about this, but this is something I would bet money on not existing.

When it comes to belief in topics that can't be proven (and in many cases are heavily debated), other than religion, where do you stand and how have you come to that position?

I'm thinking of the common ones like ghosts, big foot/yeti, alien spacecraft visiting earth and the loch ness monster?

Personally I'd say no, no, maybe and no, simply based on the evidence that I've seen. Obviously peoples experiences may make them believe one over the others, of course there are no right or wrong answers but I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

No no no and no... but Champ exists for sure.

http://www.porthenry.com/phframes/champ.htm

Ghosts - Yes. I have witnessed paranormal activity since I was a little girl. And I'm not talking about the stuff that's easily dismissed like floors creaking or pipes making noises. Just bizarre stuff that makes your hair stand on-end that leaves you speechless because there is no logical explanation for it.

Big Foot - Eh, I go more based on personal experiences. Since I've never had a personal encounter with Sasquatch I'm going to have to say it's unlikely.

UFOs/Aliens - Aliens - not sure. I have seen strange aircraft in the sky at night that were totally silent, an odd shape, strangely colored and moved very much unlike any airplane, hellicoptor or blimp I've ever seen.

Loch Ness - Okay, I have to confess...Nessie is one of those urban legends that I kinda hope is true. I have no clue why. I've just been fascinated by the Loch Ness Monster ever since I was a child.

Ghosts - I don't believe in spirits or souls but weird things happen to people sometimes and are not always hoaxes or psychological. I think there may be some other explanations for some of these phenomena.

big foot/yeti - I don't think so

UFOs - I don't believe that anyone has actually encountered aliens. I think we'd know about it if aliens had made contact. I do however think that there is intelligent life out there and it is certainly plausible that they might be observing us from afar.

loch ness monster - no

1, 2, 3 & 4: Skeptical.

I've pretty much adopted Carl Sagan's view of all things "paranormal." Until I see something which absolutely can't be explained in any rational fashion, I just can't bring myself to accept its legitimacy.

No matter how much fun it is to think/BS about. ;)

Wish I had hard proof for any of these, but I don't. I tend to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism about most things like that. I kind of like the ideas of UFOs visiting, and there is a lot of time for something like that to have happened. As for a great cover-up about it: no.

What about other debatable topics. I mean I tolerate Emacs, but Vi forever!

(Don't worry if you don't get it. It's better that way.)

No.

EDIT: That is... No!

I confess that I love stories about the paranormal, but I personally don't believe or disbelieve in any of those things. I focus on the fact there is a lot of unexplained stuff in this world, so I'm content with it sitting at unexplained. If somebody ends up proving unequivocally for or against something paranormal, I'll be quite happy with that.

Though if anybody ends up proving aliens really exist and they are abducting and doing experiments on people, that's probably going to end up scaring the daylights out of me. Mostly for the same reasons as the idea of other humans abducting and doing experiments on people. Humans already do horrible things to each other, I kind of don't want to add other species to the mix.

I confess that I love stories about the paranormal, but I personally don't believe or disbelieve in any of those things. I focus on the fact there is a lot of unexplained stuff in this world, so I'm content with it sitting at unexplained. If somebody ends up proving unequivocally for or against something paranormal, I'll be quite happy with that.

Yeah, what he said. :grin:

Well, wouldn't it be fascinating if one of the things you listed turned out to be true? Aah, exploring mysteries, always fun. I admit I'd love to see some of this turn out to be true.

Alas, considering the available evidence, no matter what I may wish personally, I'll have to assume it's all just legends.

Although still interesting legends. :)

Expanding Earth

Here's a guy who seems to think the earth is expanding. Pretty convincing stuff! I'm quite skeptical, but he makes a pretty convincing presentation. Something more to throw out there when you're downing the suds and passing a doob.

Ghosts... Think I saw one once

Big foot... No, but then again I haven't been to the Himalayas or the Redwoods, although I think there were legends of a yeti/bigfoot type creature in Enlgand...

UFO's... Seen one once, which was odd as I thought UFOs were a load of bollocks

Loch ness monster... Been to Locj Ness but never seen it or any other lake monster. My Gran said she saw one though...

Ghosts: I've read ghost stories all of my life and am inclined to disbelieve; especially so as I learn more about the brain. (I would recommend Phantoms in the Brain).

Bigfoot: Very unlikely.

UFOs: Highly improbable.

Nessie: Nope.

Ghosts - No. I liked ghost stories as a kid and did see some weird ghosty-like stuff back then but I was always sleepy at the time so I think it was my imagination.

Big foot - No.

UFO's - Maybe. I think it's likely that there's life on other planets though I doubt it's visiting us.

Loch ness monster - No...though when my husband and I were passing Loch Ness in Scotland we couldn't help but take a bloody good look just in case :D

Ghosts - I've met a lot of people who claim to have seen them. I don't think so though. I'm sure there a plenty of logical explanations.

Big foot - No.

UFO's - No.

Loch Ness monster - No.

I personally love the mystical and spiritual sides of our lives whenever they don't impose harmful forces on our lives, as they have for many of us with Christianity. So I would love to believe in ghosts, UFOs and all the rest. As a humanist and someone deeply intrigued in humanity, I love the ideas from an anthropological viewpoint. As in, how they are part of our culture, how they affect us etc.

Seeing no evidence, though, I treat them as I do all religions. Much good can come of them, and much wisdom and culture is to be found in them, but that doesn't make them true.

Recently, I was at my nan's on the day she had her house blessed by a priest. Upstairs on my own, the bedroom door creaked open and I must admit I ran off downstairs scared shitless. Later, though, I realised something quite important. If I'm going to live by that bullshit, I might as well accept the whole package and throw myself into Catholicism's supersitious idiocy. Since that is abhorrent to me, I can see that any such fearful ideas are harmful and bad (for myself). So I refuse now to let them control me in any way.

A few years back, me and a group of people went on a ghost hunters tour in an old hostpital. The tour man shined his laser pointer through the hallway and it stopped midway. When he moved it around, the little red dot curved around, like it was on someone's face. It creeped me out.

A few years back, me and a group of people went on a ghost hunters tour in an old hostpital. The tour man shined his laser pointer through the hallway and it stopped midway. When he moved it around, the little red dot curved around, like it was on someone's face. It creeped me out.

Cuz that's what you were paying them to do

Yeah, finding evidence of ghosts on a guided tour through a "haunted" building strikes me as the not the most scientific way to go about it.

Probably a lot of goofy, good-natured fun though.

I'm pretty much a skeptic in everything. While I am a geek, I don't believe UFOs are going around abducting people. There is too much evidence for OBE being a chemical process in the brain. I do think that life probably exists elsewhere in the universe, but it must have better things to do than visit us.

Ghosts? I've yet to see any evidence of ghosts other than hearsay. In fact, there has been documentation of super low frequency sound waves that resemble ghosts -- they can move objects, make people shiver, and even appear as floating grayish blobs briefly. So I don't believe in ghosts.

Loch Ness monster? Well, it was on the mainstream news that someone recently filmed something in Loch Ness, but I doubt it's a monster. Still, it would be interesting to know for sure what it was, be it a big eel or whatever.

Bigfoot? No, never heard anything to make me think Bigfoot was anything other than people's imaginations or a big hoax.