Goodbye Jesus

Summer Reading

DarthOkkata

Christians I know don't try and convert me anymore. Less because they fear or hate me, but more because I crush their beliefs like a steam roller. They even warn others not to toy with the dangerous amount of rationality and logic I've acquired as of late.

Sure, I do have to soil the fantasy of the occasional unknown fish.

I am largely left to my own devices though, and the subject is avoided in my presence. I really enjoy the fact that some people have stopped speaking to me. I'm not a pushy Atheist, it's not a subject I often bring up, as I find speaking of stupidity almost as bad as being surrounded by it. Together, it's worse. 

Even my mother stopped trying to convert me. The last few times, I've had a reasonable rational answer for everything she's thrown at me.

I know it's a little evil, but I've always enjoyed seeing my mother with that blank expression, working her mouth open and closed as she tries to think of something to say, just before she quiets down for a while.

It's all well and good. This site has been a big help, but I've decided to arm myself to the teeth, so to speak.

I find the subject interesting despite the idiocy involved for some odd reason. Most likely the fact I used to be one.

Here's what I've got so far:

Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris

The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens

God: The Failed Hypothesis. How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist - Victor Stegner

Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christan Fundamentalism - David Mills. [i'm half done with this one. It's a good 'starter' book as it explains a few complex ideas fairly well in simpler terms that most people will understand.]

Oh, and The Art of War - Sun Tsu. Useful in it's own right, and can be applied to the subject if need be in some ways.

Comments? Other recommendations? I'm thinking of starting a small collection, to go with all my other religious text. Anything you might have read that was particularly useful, or stood out on the subject really.

I hope to become an even bigger educated idiot.

Ahhh...knowledge. The true bane of religion. ;)

mwc

If you start running into more intelligent Christians, they'll probably use the arguments of Cornelius Van Til or Alvin Plantinga. You might want to see if you can get some of their books so you understand the strengths and weaknesses of their lines of argumentation. Van Til isn't so hard to defeat; it's out-and-out pietism when you get down to it. Plantinga is a little more difficult, though. He's the poster child of the philosophically and intellectually responsible Christian.

If you start running into more intelligent Christians, they'll probably use the arguments of Cornelius Van Til or Alvin Plantinga. You might want to see if you can get some of their books so you understand the strengths and weaknesses of their lines of argumentation. Van Til isn't so hard to defeat; it's out-and-out pietism when you get down to it. Plantinga is a little more difficult, though. He's the poster child of the philosophically and intellectually responsible Christian.

Heh. I'll ask my mother about it. If I bring up the authors' names and mentioned someone told me I should read it, I'll have it within a week most likely. She's been trying to convert me with books by christian authors for a while now. I read them, but often find my brain is hurting, or I'm laughing so hard it's difficult to keep my place. One of my favorite tactics with her is pointing out the flaws in the arguments or statements in the books.

It's the big reason for starting my own little collection. I've gotten her to agree to read anything I give her, and when I'm done, she's next. [i don't want to start with something that sounds too...hostile.] Letter to a Christian Nation and Atheist Universe seem to be the best place to start.

My Atheism has given me a renewed interest in physics. I definitely find the subject much more worthy of my attention than I did in school. Not so much as to make a career out of it or anything, but certain subjects do appeal to me more now for some reason.

My Atheism has given me a renewed interest in physics.

I find myself turning more and more towards biology.

Good luck in your studies DarthOkkata. It sounds like you are really arming yourself. It's good to see.

I recommend Bertrand Russell's essays.