Goodbye Jesus

Unexplainable Events

Ramen666

I put this in exchristian life well because this is just weird, this even made me (an atheist kind of spooked) But this is where you all come in maybe you can explain logically what happend because everything that I come up with does not even work. :ugh:

Two Days Ago....

I was getting ready to eat lunch happily in my kitchen and I was getting an egg out of the microwave. Suddenly it got a little darker in the house and then I looked outside. (At my house we have a patio roof that is seperate from the house connected to the garage (which is in the back yard) yes it is old school. )Anyway that patio roof just started to shake all of a sudden real hard for about 30 seconds. The next thing I know I look outside the roof *that is metal* is bent in several areas and screws are on the ground.

A glass table is on the ground completly shattered. My dad comes home and I get the mail and a piece of our new roof (well not the orginal roof) is in the middle of the street. :eek:

This was one of those WTF moments in my life because here is the strangest thing of all. no other houses were affected my neibours house they said everything is all good.

Now I live in California and I will tell you it was just a breezy day (nothing out of the ordinary) We have had strong winds before but nothing that can rip off the roof. Plus it was not that windy period, that I noticed so what happend?

Here is more oddities in this the table is fallen over one way...the roof that is bent up looks like it was pulled up and the roof was torn in a different direction. Could a funnel cloud hit our house or what? Please someone explain.

How close are you to a fault line? My husband used to live within half a mile of the San Andreas fault and weird stuff like this would happen all the time.

Bakersfield is on the fault I am pretty sure of that. But even if it was an earthquake why did no other houses get any damage by this.

Also what would pull the roof up like that?

-Its the San Adreas Fault by the way

Heck if I know. ;)

Hubby has talked about things shifting about in his back yard, having the roof pop off a shed in back, coming home one day to find his driveway moved...

San Adreas? I've always seen San Andreas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Andreas_Fault

Heck if I know. ;)

Hubby has talked about things shifting about in his back yard, having the roof pop off a shed in back, coming home one day to find his driveway moved...

San Adreas? I've always seen San Andreas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Andreas_Fault

It took me several times to get your post, It is San Andreas, stupid typo.....

sound like something shifted slightly in the local strata... Calif is mostly sandstone if I remember me geology. You can get very local strata slip... buggered if I remember the mechanism (even if I knew it...)

Well, the most logical and realistic explanation is perfectly obvious! Through some sort of glorious accident that happened during manufacturing, your roof happens to contain an advanced material that is currently unknown to humans. A passing alien spaceship detected the material and they were shocked to find it present on the earth, so they decided to investigate. They locked onto your roof with a tractor beam, but they miscalculated and it wasn't strong enough to remove the affected area of your roof, and instead it just rearranged it for you. The glass table shattered due to the intense harmonic vibrations generated by the tractor beam. After the aliens failed to abduct part of your roof, they realized that they might be detected and cause an intergalactic incident and mass panic among humanity, so they engaged their warp drive and departed the scene immediately.

See, that was easy and it makes perfect sense! Science is awesome! There's no need to resort to a simple, parsimonious explanation when a complex and unlikely explanation is readily available! Glory!

Ramen,

What you described sounds like a microburst. A microburst is a very localized column of sinking air that produces winds similar but different from a tornado in a concentrated area.

Jesus did it!

Amen, Brother! Hall-lay-LOOH-Yah! Praze the Lard and give Him all the glory! Glory!

I agree with what Taph said. There's actually a few things it could be, including a fault shift. I've also seen tornados come down and hit one house and dissapear almost as instantly as they formed.

I guarantee it's natural phenomena, if kind of weird and rare. Sorry about your house, hope it's not too costly or much trouble to fix!

I'd like to add that I've personally experienced at least one thing that was even more weird... :)

...like a cup full of dice on my table suddenly being toppled by (whatever) and spilling its contents while I was sitting two yards away, not even touching or looking at the table... door and window both closed... no one besides me in the room... and we're not exactly in a fault zone either. :blink:

Now I live in California and I will tell you it was just a breezy day (nothing out of the ordinary) We have had strong winds before but nothing that can rip off the roof. Plus it was not that windy period, that I noticed so what happend?

Here is more oddities in this the table is fallen over one way...the roof that is bent up looks like it was pulled up and the roof was torn in a different direction. Could a funnel cloud hit our house or what? Please someone explain.

Bakersfield? I'd bet on a dust devil or some such critter. I've seen them get pretty big driving through that way but down around my area they (usually) stay pretty small that you can play around in them (when I was a kid and didn't mind getting dirty that is). Although there were rare times I heard they tore down an out building now and then before just up and disappearing just like your story.

mwc

Brother Jeff has the best explanation, hands down.

The hand of GAWD!!! What did you do, you SINNER?

Bakersfield? I'd bet on a dust devil or some such critter.

This is what I was going to say. Dust devils are very common in the southwest, especially southern cali/nevada/arizona and sometimes you can't even see them when they travel across pavement. And Bakersfield is in the perfect location... nice and flat and hot. Once I was out washing my car and I looked across the street to see some garbage cans being lifted off the ground and hurled into the air. All up and down the street the air was still except the area right in front of the neighbors house....the tree right in front was being blown hard and it was obviously very windy. Then all of a sudden it was still again. Just think about a 70 MPH wind concentrated into a funnel area the size of your average palm tree and voila, a localized wind that can do alot of damage in a very small area. Then it just mysteriously disappears. Dust devils are cool B)

The Martian ones have kept the rovers working a lot longer than anyone thought they could, since they kept the solar panels clean

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap050426.html

I remember about 20 years ago while living in Montana seeing part of some metal siding from a shed or dugout in the park being carried along by the wind. That might have been a dust devil and it was strong enough to lift metal. My dad has told me a freaky story about when he was a teenager and some metal panels were flapping around at a park and he seems to think it might have been supernatural. Who knows...I like Grandpa Harley's and Bro. Jeff's explanations the best.

Sparkyone

I've never seen a tornado but I've heard descriptions about the type of damage they do. What you describe sounds exactly like tornado damage except it made no sense to me that no tornado was observable. But according to what some people are saying here, it could have been some kind of tiny tornado. I don't quite understand how it could have been a shift of plates if the roof was pulled up. One thing I do get out of these stories is a reason as to how religion got started. People didn't know the natural explanations so they thought up supernatural ones.

I've never seen a tornado but I've heard descriptions about the type of damage they do. What you describe sounds exactly like tornado damage except it made no sense to me that no tornado was observable. But according to what some people are saying here, it could have been some kind of tiny tornado. I don't quite understand how it could have been a shift of plates if the roof was pulled up. One thing I do get out of these stories is a reason as to how religion got started. People didn't know the natural explanations so they thought up supernatural ones.

An atheist AMEN to that....now its time for me to eat a cookie :grin:

Good post , my mom keeps saying mini tornado but it just doesn't make sense in California? Duse Devil sounds more like something here but it is possible because there has been reports of tornads in towns close to ours (Mini tornados)

There aren't many places in the temperate and tropical zones you can't get a tornadic effect...

There aren't many places in the temperate and tropical zones you can't get a tornadic effect...
Já, even up here in Winter-peg. About three weeks ago I actually saw a small patch of mammatus clouds a short distance east of my house. Weirdest clouds I ever did see. I found out the next day that several outlying areas of the city had funnel cloud sightings.

As for outright weird goings-on, we experience a lot of suicidal drinking glasses. I myself saw one leap out of a dish drainer and toss itself down the basement stairs in a house I used to rent. I was standing about six feet away from it when it happened. And a friend of my partner saw one leap off our kitchen shelf into my partner's hands. I suspect that I may have emotionally unstable silicon-based lifeforms in my house. (Or, more likely, heavy trucks passing nearby.)