Ahh!

"virtue"

phewy

"of moderation"

twinkle, twinkle, twinkle

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Babylonian Dream

I think you're on a wise path smile.gif I myself have long studied LaVeyan Satanism and have come to embrace it and identify with it. Though I have not studied Taoism, the little I've observed of it tells me it is a reasonably logical philosophy, like Buddhism. I also study Buddhism and am coming to embrace it more and more as my explorations into it continue.

Satanism and Buddhism are very compatible and their minor differences easily reconciled. I don't see why Taoism wouldn't follow a similar course.

I think, in reality, most people embrace the concepts Anton LaVey wrote about in The Satanic Bible. Of course, with the exception of the Atheism, many of LaVey's teachings are reminiscient of Wiccan teachings as well - basically, do what feels right and good just don't hurt innocent people.

Very true. The ethical codes laid out in the Satanic Bible are basically just common-sense things most folks live by, even though religions like Xianity would discourage such things, such as indulging in masturbation or practicing self-defense.

Never thought I'd see an objective look at Satanism and the Satanic Bible by a Christian. Good job! You get respect!

Taoism is a polytheistic religion centered on the ideal of atman - or self. Atman also refers to a belief in a "soul."

That sir, is Hinduism not Taoism.

Buddhism denies an atman - anatman - no self, or absence of a seperate self. Taoism is therefore not actually compatible with Buddhism.

Tell that to the people of china, many who follow both. Also, Buddhism has been a HUGE influence on Taoism.

Buddhism denies such supernatural beliefs.

Does it? From where do you know?

And know that I'll never accept wikipedia as proof of anything.

I realize that anyone can belive anything they want and I uphold that, however, maybe you should research LaVey a little more thoroughly before basing your religious beliefs on him. Wish I could find the info on him and if I can I will post it.

From what I read, the Satanic Bible and Church of Satan were started as a publicity stunt. He did not have any hidden knowledge. He made it all up.

I don't necessarily disagree with his "Bible", but I can't see basing my life on it. You'd b better off writing your own "Bible" .

Just sayin'.....

He never claimed to have hidden knowledge. As for being about Publicity, being about the Devil was enough to get that. Sure, the guy is from showbiz, he knows how stuff like that grabs attention. He actually based his stuff on prior philosophies, so its not even completely original.

You can write your own Bible. To be honest, his Bible isn't meant to be very Bible-like anyway.

See link below:

http://satanismcentral.com/aslv.html

I would copy the info for all of your entertainment, but I'm not sure that it allowed on this board.

It's a list of legend and reality about LaVey.

Concerning the Satanic Bible:http://satanismcentral.com/aslv.html

LEGEND: ASL wrote the Satanic Bible, his principal work, to fulfill his congregation's need for a scriptural guide.

REALITY: The Satanic Bible was conceived as a commercial vehicle by paperback publisher Avon Books. Avon approached ASL for some kind of Satanic work to cash in on the Satanism & witchcraft fad of the late 1960s. Pressed for material to meet Avon's deadline, ASL resorted to plagiarism, assembling extracts from an obscure 1896 tract - Might is Right by Ragnar Redbeard into a "Book of Satan" for the SB, and claiming its authorship by himself. [ironically these MiR passages are the ones most frequently quoted by ASL disciples.] Another third of the SB consists of John Dee's "Enochian Keys", taken directly but again without attribution from Aleister Crowley's Equinox. The SB's "Nine Satanic Statements", one of the Church of Satan's central doctrines, is a paraphrase, again unacknowledged, of passages from Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. The last words in the SB - "Yankee Rose" - have been puzzled over for years by readers. "YR" is actually the name of an old popular tune in ASL's nightclub repertoire.

SOURCES: ASL, The Satanic Bible; Ragnar Redbeard,

Might is Right, Port Townsend: Loompanics (reprint), 1896; Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged (Galt's speech, ca. pages #936-993); "Yankee Rose" by Sidney Holden & Abe Frankl (Irving Berlin Music, 1926).

Baby:

You're right, it wasn't supposed to be bible-like anyway.

I actually own a copy of the Satanic Bible. It's a small paperback that's full of a lot of bunk.

I also own a copy of the Tao and I cannot see how one can combine the Tao with LaVey's baloney. It's seems to be in direct conflict with each other.

Just wanted to add, if Satanism is what feels right to anyone, then go for it. (Just don't come 'round knocking on my door at 9:00 Saturday morningsmad.gif .)

I just can't see trading in the xtian bible/belief for a satanic one, especially knowing the history of LaVey.

Don't mind me.

Don't mind me.

I'm right with you Roxie.

I'd like to add something to this thread, but I really don't know what to say.

What's the point of speaking about Tao?

It reminds me of the Steven Wright joke... I bought a box of powdered water, but I don't know what to add.

Unfortunately, "self-indulgence" appears to be counter to the Taoist virtue of moderation.

moderation in moderation good sir

• 3 months later...

Oh, come on, you were a christian and now you wanna be a satanist? Isn´t that just going from one extreme to another? Satanism is nothing but a self-serving brainwashing cult, just like christianity. Why not just be irreligious, than you can have any attitude that you want? Why follow anything?

And magic? I mean, hello! How foolish that is.