Goodbye Jesus

I Hold The Truth

Kirangel

How old are you? You are either ignorant out of youth, or ignorant out of choice. Which is it?

OI! MUSH! you're stealing my best lines!

Did I???

Wasn't intentional. *kiss*

You 've got plenty more brillance to share, I'm sure.

Now the Gods do everything they can to keep the religions going, even the ones with beliefs in many Gods. They make appearances, offer private revelations...they keep it going.

More like: Now the Gods Cult leaders do everything they can to keep the religions going, even the ones with beliefs in many Gods. They make appearances, offer private revelations...they keep it going.

Correction: The God's use the Cult leaders to keep the religions going strong, it makes things more interesting.

You call spreading lifestyle intolerance, false gender limitations, and religious hatred towards other religions "interesting"?

How old are you? You are either ignorant out of youth, or ignorant out of choice. Which is it?

I made no such claims.

You said the gods use Cult Leaders to keep the religions going stong abd that it made things more interesting.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the fact that both legit Cult Leaders (from publicly accepted religions like christianity and Islam) and illigit Cult leaders (like David Koresh) preach intolerance, sexism, and religious hatred? Or are these Cult Leaders of yours somehow keeping religion going strong by not opening their mouths? Or perhaps you are completely ignorant of what these Cult Leaders SAY????

You DID make such claims. Perhaps you did not know it, which does lead me to wonder about your grasp of grammer, history, current world events, and any real knowledge of anything outside your safe bubble.

Now the Gods do everything they can to keep the religions going, even the ones with beliefs in many Gods. They make appearances, offer private revelations...they keep it going.

More like: Now the Gods Cult leaders do everything they can to keep the religions going, even the ones with beliefs in many Gods. They make appearances, offer private revelations...they keep it going.

Correction: The God's use the Cult leaders to keep the religions going strong, it makes things more interesting.

You call spreading lifestyle intolerance, false gender limitations, and religious hatred towards other religions "interesting"?

I made no such claims.

You said the gods use Cult Leaders to keep the religions going stong abd that it made things more interesting.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the fact that both legit Cult Leaders (from publicly accepted religions like christianity and Islam) and illigit Cult leaders (like David Koresh) preach intolerance, sexism, and religious hatred? Or are these Cult Leaders of yours somehow keeping religion going strong by not opening their mouths? Or perhaps you are completely ignorant of what these Cult Leaders SAY????

You DID make such claims. Perhaps you did not know it, which does lead me to wonder about your grasp of grammer, history, current world events, and any real knowledge of anything outside your safe bubble.

You are mistaken. This thread began with a world paradigm that I made up. Yep, I said the God's in a fictional story were entertained by the plights of human beings. So no, I did not make such claims, I created a fictional story made up of Gods who toyed with us.

I prefer the God's of the Discworld. They'll turn up at your house and smash you windows if you're an atheist... Self admittedly capricious and nasty, but you can respect that....

I made no such claims.

You are mistaken. This thread began with a world paradigm that I made up. Yep, I said the God's in a fictional story were entertained by the plights of human beings. So no, I did not make such claims, I created a fictional story made up of Gods who toyed with us.

I am not mistaken. Nor am I referring to the original post. I'm referring specifically to what you said about Cult Leaders keeping things "interesting".

Quit trying to dodge.

I am not mistaken. Nor am I referring to the original post. I'm referring specifically to what you said about Cult Leaders keeping things "interesting".

Quit trying to dodge.

Hahaha, I'm not dodging anything, my post was in reference to the world paradigm that I created...Go back and read it, someone changed it and I changed it back to fit the story that I created.

I'll post it for you.

Japedo said:

I responded by saying:

I was not referencing real life.

I prefer the God's of the Discworld. They'll turn up at your house and smash you windows if you're an atheist... Self admittedly capricious and nasty, but you can respect that....

Indeed.

But then, what less would you expect from a world where Death is about as personable and friendly a chap as you could ever like to meet?

Hahaha, I'm not dodging anything, my post was in reference to the world paradigm that I created...Go back and read it, someone changed it and I changed it back to fit the story that I created.

I was not referencing real life .

Uh-huh. Nice attempt at a "save".

Perhaps you might want to take your THREAD TITLE into consideration?

Or you may want to look at the content of your original post again? You don't say this "might" have happened, or this may be how religion progressed within the original post. In fact, the only time the word "story" comes up within the OP is when you said "That's my story and I'm sticking to it"!

In fact, you didn't start treating this as fictional until several members, starting with the truly wonderful Amethyst, referred to this as being a fairy tale. Prior to that....it was the "truth" according to you.

Recall post #8 ...... "....people deserve the truth, and that's what I'm going to give them."

But now you claim not to be referencing "real life".

You've gone from a "new vision of unifying truth" to.... "it's just make-believe" within 2 thread pages of discussion!

I meant it as a parody, and not to be taken literally. I thought that was obvious when I put the God's into lazy boy recliners.

I wasn't being serious. Again with post 8, it was meant to be sort of part of the parody, I wasn't being serious...

I thought I made it clear, my mistake.

When it comes to beliefs I hold few strong convictions.

Indeed.

But then, what less would you expect from a world where Death is about as personable and friendly a chap as you could ever like to meet?

Despite never seeing people at their best...

I meant it as a parody, and not to be taken literally. I thought that was obvious when I put the God's into lazy boy recliners.

I wasn't being serious. Again with post 8, it was meant to be sort of part of the parody, I wasn't being serious...

I thought I made it clear, my mistake.

When it comes to beliefs I hold few strong convictions.

Ah, but to paraphrase the MCP, this is what you get for using ex-Christians :wicked:

Heh, at least the gods of the Discworld actually exist in the Discworld universe.

Or you may want to look at the content of your original post again? You don't say this "might" have happened, or this may be how religion progressed within the original post. In fact, the only time the word "story" comes up within the OP is when you said "That's my story and I'm sticking to it"!

In fact, you didn't start treating this as fictional until several members, starting with the truly wonderful Amethyst, referred to this as being a fairy tale. Prior to that....it was the "truth" according to you.

Recall post #8 ...... "....people deserve the truth, and that's what I'm going to give them."

You've gone from a "new vision of unifying truth" to.... "it's just make-believe" within 2 thread pages of discussion!

Not only that, but you defended your original post as if you truly believed it. If you don't believe it, why defend it as if it The Truth with a capital T and a copyright sign?

It's perfectly okay to change one's mind as a result of a debate...but you seem to be afraid of admitting it.

The point of parody is that you don't blink...

I wouldn't be good at parody, my eyes dry out too easily.

Nor do you rely on a single line of humor within one paragraph of your "parody" to convey that the entire "story" is meant to be taken as such.

Kirangel, Grandpa Harley mentioned the Discworld series. It's a collection of fantasy books written by Terry Pratchett, and it is excellent. I've not managed to read every book yet myself, but I can say of the ones I've picked up, they are very well written, and they are indeed parodies of common myths, Shakespeare works, history.....they are quite good. Give them a whirl.

He also wrote a parody tale of the book of Revelations called "Good Omens". I suggest picking it up. The overall gist of the story is that while god may plan, human error alone can upset the divine applecart without even trying hard.

Not only that, but you defended your original post as if you truly believed it. If you don't believe it, why defend it as if it The Truth with a capital T and a copyright sign?

It's perfectly okay to change one's mind as a result of a debate...but you seem to be afraid of admitting it.

Like Grandpa Harley said, you don't blink...you present it as truth. I honestly thought that it would be clear and I wasn't going to say anything but then I realized that too many people thought that I was presenting it as truth.

It all came to me at once, I was bored so I just sat down and wrote it like I would a rant. I never did like the Christian explanation for the existence of evil. So I made up my own.

Nor do you rely on a single line of humor within one paragraph of your "parody" to convey that the entire "story" is meant to be taken as such.

Kirangel, Grandpa Harley mentioned the Discworld series. It's a collection of fantasy books written by Terry Pratchett, and it is excellent. I've not managed to read every book yet myself, but I can say of the ones I've picked up, they are very well written, and they are indeed parodies of common myths, Shakespeare works, history.....they are quite good. Give them a whirl.

He also wrote a parody tale of the book of Revelations called "Good Omens". I suggest picking it up. The overall gist of the story is that while god may plan, human error alone can upset the divine applecart without even trying hard.

Excellent point. I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Good Omens was great too. Most of them are pretty funny throughout.