Goodbye Jesus

Rushdie Title 'may Spark Attacks'

Grandpa Harley

Goodbye Jesus

Has anyone ever read Rushdie's book? I want to know what's in it that made it so offensive. I wonder how many of the angry Muslims actually even know whats really in it.

Has anyone ever read Rushdie's book? I want to know what's in it that made it so offensive. I wonder how many of the angry Muslims actually even know whats really in it.

Yes, it's boring. He called the wife of Muhammed a whore and he was a liar... something like that.

This is entertaining...

http://koenraadelst.voiceofdharma.com/arti...sc/rushdie.html

Do you ever get images of children beating up someone else because they don't like what he said? Children don't know how to be confident in their own beliefs. They need everyone to agree with them, and when they beat up the other kids who don't agree with them, they're demonstrating that they're not big enough, not mature enough, not confident enough in their own beliefs to just smile and nod at them, "It doesn't matter how you feel about it, I like it. I don't need you to agree with me. I'm happy with my beliefs." Are we dealing with something as simple as spiritual immaturity? A lack of true belief? Followers of doctrines with no faith in their hearts?

I don't need the world to agree with me, and other's criticisms of what I believe don't bother me. I've never once felt a need to harm or kill others disagree with me, or who attempt to even deride and belittle my beliefs. Why is that? Is it because I'm confident in my beliefs and other's like this aren't?

It's sad. Truly sad. How does this behavior make how they believe appealing to anyone? I'm not a kid anymore. I'm grown up now and look for something that knows how to behave itself as a mature adult, respectfully, especially in the face of controversy and criticism. This doesn't do that. Most definietly not.

Well-put, Antlerman - I was thinking about how muslim extremists resemble bullies. And we all know how bullies have to be dealt with :angry:

You render them into soap, having stolen their fillings...

Well.... I was thinking something a little less Draconian, like refusing to play with them and setting an example of mature behavior, hoping one day they'll decide it's easier to join the rest of world who have already learned how to put up with each other's differences. We do it, can't they? What have we got that they don't? (freedom) Oh, to dream. :unsure:

As far as these extremists are concerned...

One would be hard pressed to find something, other than unconditional capitulation to their demands that we all follow their rules, that won't spark attacks.

Yeah, they are like babies with RPGs and machine guns.

Well.... I was thinking something a little less Draconian, like refusing to play with them and setting an example of mature behavior, hoping one day they'll decide it's easier to join the rest of world who have already learned how to put up with each other's differences. We do it, can't they? What have we got that they don't? (freedom) Oh, to dream. :unsure:

Sorry that was a question... not a statement...

One would be hard pressed to find something, other than unconditional capitulation to their demands that we all follow their rules, that won't spark attacks.

Well, the ones that didn't come from Russia came from the US... and both sides trained them in using them... in fact if the USSR hadn't existed the US wouldn't have given them a Swiss Army knife... but there again if the US hadn't existed, then the USSR wouldn't have given them a Swiss Army knife... and if there hadn't been oily sand, no one would have given them a second glance since the 1100s...

Well, the ones that didn't come from Russia came from the US... and both sides trained them in using them... in fact if the USSR hadn't existed the US wouldn't have given them a Swiss Army knife... but there again if the US hadn't existed, then the USSR wouldn't have given them a Swiss Army knife... and if there hadn't been oily sand, no one would have given them a second glance since the 1100s...

I don't pretend to understand what precisely is going on in the Middle East. But I am trying to educate myself on the thing. Right now it just seems a like a big mess.

Some part of me asks the question... Why is there so much conflict in the region? And another part of me answers... Because of Middle Easterners.

The whole area has been solidly destabilised by various world powers since the days of the Ottoman Empire... Britain, Austro-Hungarian Empire, The French, The Spanish... then late the US, and the USSR with help from former world powers who like to pretend they still are...