Goodbye Jesus

Fundie Teens

TheKreativeKat

You know what makes me really sad? When kids who have very little life experiences feel qualified to speak authoratatively to adults about certain issues. Take, for example, this fifteen year old boy on a Christian message board under a thread asking when is it acceptable for Christians to divorce:

I think what it comes down to is that while divorce for the reasons previously mentioned (infedelity, abuse ect.) may be an options. I think that re-marriage is adultory...when you have consentually consemated a marriage and then have sex with another person ...it is adulatry periond. no matter what the legal documentation may say....

.....yes if your spouse cheats it would be horrific, but it was YOUR choice to marry them. and so you have to deal with the consequences, can you choose not to share your bed with him anymore...yes...should you share it with anyone else...no, never.

IT comes down to this...YOU choose who you will marry, no one else ,YOU say the vows YOU share the bed.

and so even if your spouse severly wrongs you... they will have to deal with god for that, God will repay.

But as for you, you do not get to 'try again' you became one with your spouse....period.

Here is a fifteen year old kid telling divorced adults, "you messed up, now suffer the repercussions!" So, what do you think? Do you think kids this young truly hold this opinion or are they merely parrot-talking what they hear at church and at home?

or are they merely parrot-talking what they hear at church and at home?
Bingo... :mellow:

Here is a fifteen year old kid telling divorced adults, "you messed up, now suffer the repercussions!" So, what do you think? Do you think kids this young truly hold this opinion or are they merely parrot-talking what they hear at church and at home?

A little of both. Teenagers "know" pretty much everything, don't they. ;) What they lack is experience and the wisdom it brings. Life will (hopefully) teach them a thing or two...but it takes time. Unfortunately a lot of "damage" can be caused while these folks are learning their lessons (on all sides really).

mwc

He really could hold that opinion; however, it may have been brought about by the "preaching" of his parents and church or even his own parents divorcing. A child who continually hears the same message over and over again may just believe it because they haven't been allowed to develop the skill necessary to think it through on their own nor have they been exposed to differing view points. I'm hopeful this closemindedness and judgemental attitude is not the norm for him because if it is I'm thinking he's in for a tough road ahead. And if his opinion is due to his own parents divorcing I can only hope his parents get him some help in coping with the situation.

He's parroting, of course, but not the same way a kid half his age would. By now, he's made a lot of this rot truly his--the message he's been inundated with for the past 15 years is gelling as something he really believes, and his mind is no longer so impressionable as to easily change his beliefs now simply by bombarding him with another message.

I feel sorry for him, having been there and knowing that most never start thinking critically.

He doesn't even make an exception for the death of a spouse. I bet he just forgot to cover it in his rigid, black and white post.

The ironic thing is, statistically, he's more likely to get divorced than the general population and he'll be as likely as anybody to get remarried.

pastor taught that there was no good reason for divorce. I showed him 3 or 4 that I found in the Bible and he told me that I was not qualified to say that and that "SATAN" was deceiving me with myown scriptures....REALLY...LOL.

This is always the most troubling part of religion for me. "Don't read it for yourself...you can't possibly interpret it correctly." I got that when I was thinking of converting to Judaism when I was preparing to marry my first wife. I dared to read the Jewish scriptures without proper indoctrination. Turned me off to the idea of conversion, which my ex did hold against me over time.

Sometimes I think religion was far better off when only the priests could read the Bible, because it was only available in Latin.

Course, I do like that it must be Satan's will that my second marriage (and my ex-wife's second marriage) are going so well. Must be setting us up for a rip-roaring reception in Hell.

Naaah, they're just kids. I was fifteen once and said and believed some incredibly stupid things. I think a lot of teenagers go through fundy periods, actually. It's why youth groups are so popular. But I'd bet that perhaps even a majority of those youth group members eventually grow out of the choking atmosphere. I know I did.

Hopefully the kid doesn't have to deal with a destructive marriage. He would learn awfully fast the beauty of God's message.

I think they hold opinions as well as any Christian. It's total delusional nonsense anyway, but I'm positive this kid believes what he has typed.

or are they merely parrot-talking what they hear at church and at home?
Bingo... :mellow:

Aren't they all? :vent:

When I was a Christian at 11 to 15, all of the opinions I had were independently reached on. It's the same thing with my present opinions when I first became atheist and still is.