Goodbye Jesus

Undersea Search Begins For Life At Top Of The World

nivek

Undersea search begins for life at top of the world

Christian Science Monitor

"Ice-covered and isolated, the Arctic Ocean has been stingier with its deepest secrets than any other of Earth's oceans. It might as well be on another planet. Now, armed with a unique set of robotic tools, an international team of scientists is heading there to hunt for life along a little-explored gash in the ocean floor known as the Gakkel Ridge. A decade ago, the project would have seemed quixotic. But since then, scientists have uncovered evidence suggesting that spots along this oddball ridge might be capable of supplying the heat and nutrients to support colonies of creatures that thrive in the pitch-black water thousands of feet below the surface. Once that evidence emerged, the search for basic life in one of the world's most inaccessible places became a must, say several of the scientists involved. The voyage begins July 1." (06/22/07)

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0622/p01s03-stss.html

Say hey, thanks for this Kevin.

I think this is neat. I can't help but hope they find life there.

This is cool. I have little doubt they will find life there. This exploration is costing 3 million dollars. The knowledge we gain helps all of humanity as part of our progress into the future. Imagine if we took even 10 percent of that $195 million per day being spent on the war in Iraq and gave it to science. :shrug:

Awesome.

This may seem kind of random (ice, water, and life made me think of it) but back in 2005 scientists were trying to figure out what they would need to be able to send something to investigate Jupiters moon Europa. It's frozen but they think there's an ocean of liquid water beneath the surface. I haven't followed the story since, but it's really interesting just to think that there might be an ocean on a planetary body other then earth in our solar system.