Goodbye Jesus

On Open Letter To Rev. Cloud

Guest indyfreethinker

Guest indyfreethinker

"Brother" David Cloud, on his Way of Life End Times Apostasy Database extended the following invitation:

NOTICE: Though I do not expect all of my readers to agree with my judgments or doctrinal position, I do desire to present every statement accurately and factually. If you find what you believe to be a mistake, please take a few moments to write to me about it. Your challenge will not be ignored. I will look into the matter as quickly as possible.

Not being one to turn down an invitation, I have written him this letter [Visit My Website]:

Dear Bro. Cloud:

First of all, I want to say that I respect the depth of your belief, and your willingness to act on your faith in Jesus Christ through the planting of fundamentalist churches in Asia. Of all the wondrous exports America has to offer in this global age, christian fundamentalism is a most shining and glorious example. Having their eyes opened in this way will undoubtedly provide these underprivileged peoples with the means of overcome religious oppression, bigotry, and narrow mindedness. The world may well thank you someday.

I want to thank you for your openness in inviting readers of your website to point out what they believe to be mistakes. It's not often that a fundamental christian website will be so receptive to listening to other points of view, so you are to be commended. And so I am writing to you to tell you that I have found what I believe to be a mistake.

I was raised in a christian home from the age of 10, and although my parents were charismatic pentecostals and practiced the end-time apostasy of "speaking in tongues", they raised me to believe the Christian way. Being a credible and impressionable child, I believed that I had been chosen - set aside - to do the will of God, along with the 300 or so members of the end-times charismatic cult of which my parents were a part. Having accepted Christ as my "personal" savior, I believed that "we" privileged few would escape the eternal punishment of hell, where all unbelievers and mainstream christian denomonationalists would eternally suffer for their rejection of the Holy Spirit of God. I am very glad to say, some 30 years later, that I have finally found what I once believed to be a mistake.

It was a mistake to believe that an anthropomorphic god, such that he may exist, would be so twisted as to create a perfect world, place humankind at its center, provide humankind with "free will", and and then unleash eternal punishment when said free will is exercised. It was a mistake to believe that this god is good and loving, since he ostensibly created an instrument of eternal reward (heaven) and eternal damnation (hell) before the creation of humans. Did he knowingly plan on creating people just to coerce a few into strict obedience, and mercilessly torture anyone who would dare exercise their gift of free will? It was a mistake to believe that god revealed himself perfectly in a holy book, and preserved this book through the ages as a means of empowering self-righteous followers to exact punishment on unbelievers on his behalf. It was a mistake to believe that a Galilean peasant was imbibed with super-human powers and then horrifically tortured and brutally killed as a way for god to demonstrate his love for humankind. It was a mistake to believe all of this, because it is all complete madness and mass superstition. These fundamental beliefs, and their clash with similar but opposing beliefs elsewhere in the world, may well lead to the end of civilization as we know it. That is the ultimate mistake.

And so now I no longer believe, and I find myself deeply relieved that I no longer need to fear eternal torture because of the obscenities I breathed against a rude driver, or my bout with compulsive masturbation as a teenager. I can live in peace now not because I have the forgiveness of god, but because I can forgive myself for wasting so much time and emotional energy on something so patently untrue. My eyes have been opened, and I'm thankful for the time I have been given here and now to enjoy so wondrous and rare a place as planet earth.

Thank you for inviting your web readers to be so candid, and if you ever find what you believe to be a mistake, you know where to find me. I'm here to listen.

Grace and peace,

Indyfreethinker

I invite comments on my blog [click here].

Of course we know that this will be seen by him as an attack from Satan. It was nicely written and made some stinging points. So you're still involved with them heavily? That's got to be a challenge for you. Welcome to the site.

BTW, in looking at your avitar I was expecting to see the "revised version" of the painting I like so much. In case you haven't seen it:

adam.jpg

Antlerman, your rendition of this sacred painting is absolute heresy!!!

IndyFreeThinker, please see the original, untainted depiction of the miraculous creation story below.

800px-Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appenda.jpg

Antlerman, you should be ashamed. Some bearded white man didn't create humanity! A plate of cheap, Italian carry-out did.

With BIG balls...

Fellow Hoosier... Indianapolis, none the less!

Welcome. My wife and I both lurk and occasionally post on these boards.... hope to see you around!

We come from the Catholic and Independent Christian Churches. What is your background?

Edit (I read some of your site):

I'm a writer by trade, and I would love to co-blog with you. I have a few pieces up on MySpace already.... PM me and I can link you.

I'm really looking forward to reading the reply to the opening post. In the event that it gets posted, would someone be willing to PM me and let me know that it has been posted?

The reason I ask is, more than likely, I'll unintentionally forget about this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like his avatar shows man facing away from god, and putting his hand up.

Talk to the hand, God! :lol: Good catch.