Goodbye Jesus

God And Worship

garrisonjj

Looking at it from a believer's perspective, why does god need worship? Here you have this all knowing, all powerful entity that needs human worship through organ music,special liturgies and prayer.

Why?

If I pray the loudest, I get the most stuff? Is that the way it works? I believe prayer is talking to oneself, but come on, why do churches exist?

one thing I realised a while ago, when I was still a theist, was that prayer was completely pointless. An all-knowing God will already know that you feel grateful or that you feel regret for something you've done. An all-knowing and all-good God will have already weighed up what is best for everyone and nothing you could ask for yourself or others would make a blind bit of difference to the perfect decision that such a deity would have made.

I realised that prayer was something that was for human benefit - to express gratitude and get guilt off your chest, to place your worries and concerns in the hands of God. These things can relieve stress.

But I also realised that if prayer is just talking to yourself then why not just do Buddhist meditation?

As for worship - I agree that a God-like being could not possibly want or require that

Right, a truly good god wouldn't want that. The only reason why the meme virus requires worship is to fuel the fantasy. Without worship, people would lose their belief. And that's why every religion requires a membership and continuous church visits to maintain the delusion.

I always regarded the musical aspect of worship as a form of celebration rather than a service rendered to fulfill a need on God's behalf.

I always regarded the musical aspect of worship as a form of celebration rather than a service rendered to fulfill a need on God's behalf.

I guess that depends on how the church teaches about it. Most services I've been in the songs are like "Jesus I love you" or "we praise you lord" or anything of the sort that tell God how great and wonderful he is (even though nothing in the Bible really show God to be good or helpful). If the songs were a bit more like "we're so happy because God was so good to us", then I guess it would constitute some sort of celebration. Only a few of the songs were like that, from what I can remember... :shrug: