Goodbye Jesus

Homosexuality Is Not A Sin

Evolution_beyond

Whoops, didn't mean to put "atheists" in that rogue's gallery of naughtiness. Athiests don't spend a lotta cash tithing, and they eat babies, so they'd be just fine to stone...

*points at icon* I can usually nail gay bashing Chrisitians just by pointing out the stuff being cycled there. Don't know many of them that don't shave, have tattoos, wear mixed fabrics, or eat shrimp. Most of the time, they weren't even aware there was a rule about those things because they haven't even read the book they swear they live by.

Guest resident_grump

Theres a Christian party in NZ that if they ever got into power, it would be seriously dark days ahead. They reckon they would overturn the civil unions bill (A bill that allows gay couples to have legal recognition of their relationship, not quite marriage, but getting there) and recriminalise homosexuality.

The same party also has a church, one day when I was feeling emotionally masochistic, I switched onto a web broadcast, it was a man who had gone through the operation and had been living as a woman but met God and decided to live as a man again (although how he did that I'm not sure, its not like he could get it reattached again). Anyhow, I had the window minimised because I was working on an assignment, and I could have sworn that it was a woman speaking. The gay ministries that suposedly heal people from being gay :Doh: are nothing but a sham. I've met christians who have been through them, and they are still as gay as they come. Ok, so they may be living in denial about it now, which is even unhealthier IMO

Now, if only gay christians would get a clue...

They just forgot to read in the Babble where Ja-Hoover and his only begatten son Jebus IV tell us that homerseckshurals are abomberations and bound for hellfire. :crazy:

Really... huh - you must have a different Bible than I've ever read, since homosexuality is never condemned (much less mentioned) by Jesus in any of the Gospels... in fact he doesn't seem to have a problem healing the 'pais' of a Roman Centurion.

since homosexuality is never condemned (much less mentioned) by Jesus in any of the Gospels...
Doesn't seem like slavery is condemned either...

Nope... but it's kinda hard to justify given that whole "do unto others" thingie ;)

It was quite justifiable, though, for quite a while.

Really... huh - you must have a different Bible than I've ever read, since homosexuality is never condemned (much less mentioned) by Jesus in any of the Gospels... in fact he doesn't seem to have a problem healing the 'pais' of a Roman Centurion.

Very true. It's hard to explain to fundamentalists that they really are more Paulinians than Christians. But on the other hand, Paul claimed to have receieved all the teachings from Jesus, through visions, so if one wants to believe that, wouldn't that mean that Jesus did tell Paul that homosexuality was a sin?

And the whole "do to others" isn't a perfect rule, I think "don't do to others, what you don't want them do to you" is a more liberating rule and give people responsibility without demands to be altruistic. Altruism can be built through other arguments, but the fundamental rule for "right and fair for all" only works if you set a common standard that can be followed by everyone regardless of any kinky desires. (Like, how does "do to others" get applied when a person likes S&M?)

Wow I'll bet the Vatican will be surprised to hear this, you should inform them and also you need to edit the catholic encyclopedia. I can't wait for them to support gay rights and gay marriage, thanks for informing us. I also don't remember abortion or birth control being condemned, much less mentioned by Christ either... what wonderful news for women's rights! /sarcasm

Vatican document on homosexuals and seminaries-- full text (CWN)

Regarding acts, it teaches that, in Sacred Scripture, these are presented as grave sins. Tradition has constantly considered them to be intrinsically immoral and contrary to natural law. These, consequently, may not be approved in any case.

Wow I'll bet the Vatican will be surprised to hear this, you should inform them and also you need to edit the catholic encyclopedia. I can't wait for them to support gay rights and gay marriage, thanks for informing us. I also don't remember abortion or birth control being condemned, much less mentioned by Christ either... what wonderful news for women's rights! /sarcasm

Yeah... can't wait until the current conservative crop kicks the bucket so that real theological debate can happen about some subjects - I'm more in line with the monastic and scholastic orders than the current heavily conservative dogmatic regime.

Vatican document on homosexuals and seminaries-- full text (CWN)
Regarding acts, it teaches that, in Sacred Scripture, these are presented as grave sins. Tradition has constantly considered them to be intrinsically immoral and contrary to natural law. These, consequently, may not be approved in any case.

Ahh the CWN... consider the source - it's like the FOXnews of the Catholic world, and just like FOXnews it has an agenda and ideology to advance so take any story or piece with a health grain of salt.

Like, how does "do to others" get applied when a person likes S&M?

:lmao:

The sexual thing really messes up the golden rule.

If I did to others what I wanted them to do to me, I'd probably get locked up for sexual assault!

Ahh the CWN... consider the source - it's like the FOXnews of the Catholic world, and just like FOXnews it has an agenda and ideology to advance so take any story or piece with a health grain of salt.

:ugh: The source is irrelevant, It is a Vatican document posted on the site.. further down on the document posted on the site you'll read this.

The Sovereign Pontiff Benedict XVI, August 31 2005, approved this Instruction and ordered its publication.

Rome, November 4, 2005, Memorial of Saint Charles Borromeo, Patron of Seminaries

(ETA)

Guest Catlady34

The Catholic church considers homosexuals as morally unstable and mentally disturbed (it's not those words, but it's what they mean); however the church does not consider that a homosexual person sins as long as the person stay abstinent. Which is very hypocritical IMO.

I've once seen a very interesting documentary called "Sexuality in the Bible" (back when I still believed in Jesus), saying that nobody in the Bible it is said that an exclusive and faithful homosexual relationship is bad. According to them the leviticus statement is to condemn casual sex, and the Sodom story is more about condemnation of rape and agression that homosexuality (the inhabitants ask to see the 2 strangers to "know" them but have no intention to marry them, of course). Obviously it is their interpretation but at the time I found that comforting. I guess that liberal and gay-friendly churches (there are some) share this interpretation. Some of my gay friends that are religious are members of the United Church of Canada, which is very welcoming for gays and states that the diversity of sexual orientations is a gift of god... Of curse fundies would not agree with this but if there is a church out there for people still needing to belong to a religious group, that's good IMO.

I sure don't think it's a sin now, more like a truly great pleasure to be had. But when I was Xtian, it was a different story. I would be terrified of the slightest pink or the slightest gay touch. I would scream when a guy flirted with me. All that time, I was nursing a gay crush on a really beautiful guy. When I deconverted, it was a great relief to do so. Two years later, I officially came out. The journey hadn't ended yet and I really don't want it to.

I'll say this for all people in misery caused by homophobia.

GAY IS OK AND YOU DESERVE TO BE HAPPY!

No matter.....since Cheezus is also god that means he's his own father and own son at the same time (which is perfectly logical to the thinking Christian), and so whatever Ja-Hoover said in the OT, Cheezus said it too, 'cos they're the same dude but also not. Got it?

The Catholic church considers homosexuals as morally unstable and mentally disturbed

I am glad to know that Catholic Priests have taken time out from their busy child molesting schedule to identify gay people as mentally disturbed. What will these guys think of next?

The sexual thing really messes up the golden rule.

If I did to others what I wanted them to do to me, I'd probably get locked up for sexual assault!

Sometimes I wish others would want do to me what I want to do to them. ;)

The Catholic church considers homosexuals as morally unstable and mentally disturbed

I myself consider people who believe in angels, people walking on water, talking snakes, a "God" in the sky, flying chariots, giants, dragons, leviathans, etc as morally unstable and mentally disturbed!

I can picture the scene now..

The Garden of Gethsemene, the fat passover moon hangs low inthe velvet sprikled with quicksilver skies, almost seeming to brush the tops of the olive trees. The disciples sleep fitfully, and Jesus sits alone with his thoughts. Even the sussurations of the night insects have stopped and all is the silence of the Sabbath.

Suddenly, "SHIT! I FORGOT TO DAMN THE QUEERS!!!! Ah well... there's always tomorrow..."

He hears a noise, and turns.

"Judas! You're up late. Who are your friends?"

LOL! Hey Grandpa it all makes sense now...somtimes there is just not enuff time in a deities day to vilifiy all of the unrightiuous LOL!

I guess even the son of god gets caught with his pant down every now and then :crucified:

One of my earliest stumbling blocks during my Christian phase was homosexuality. I just couldn't understand the double standard with which "we" worked. Any other "sin" could be worked through after conversion - in God's time. But homosexuality had to be left behind first - and completely - before a person could accept the unconditional love of God.

:Wendywhatever:

I met a couple who had been together for twenty years and I realized that - in order for them to accept this "gift" - they would have to leave each other. I don't believe that homosexuality is just about sex - anymore than heterosexuality is just about sex. The "sin", is really one of loving someone else.

I put myself in their shoes and thought about what it would feel like to have someone come to me and offer me "salvation" at the cost of my soul mate...

Seems a little cruel to me...

Typically, though, Christians don't think that way. All they care about is having some sin or other to "combat". It'd be nice, though, that when these people give their hearts to Christ, that'd he'd at least let them borrow it once in a while...

Like when they are delaing with people...

Sex is sex - and it is not a sin. My wife is bisexual and it is simply an issue of pleasure for her (and for me, but that is just more heterosexuality on my part :wicked: ) If there is a god - and he is worried about who I am sleeping with - he is a seriously petty god...

Spoomonkey

Seems a little cruel to me...

Yeah, very cruel. I don't remember where this was, but someone was discussing about how she wanted to become a Christian but that caused a lot of problems between herself and her significant other. The woman she was with said that once she turned Christian then they could no longer be together because Christian teachings are against homosexual acts. So the one wanted to join while the other stated that that would be impossible because of what Christianity taught.

It's sad that a love that one finds in this world is so threatened by a belief system just because that love between two consenting adults doesn't fit their criteria. The world is difficult enough as is.

I agree with the topic sentence. I believe that homosexuality is a natural way to keep the population from exploding.

This reminds me of this bumper sticker I like:

"May the fetus you save be gay and proud"

I rememember reading an athropological study of chimpanzees, wherein the groups that had a significant (5 to 10%) homosexual male population had MORE success in raising the young to adults. The 'gay' males don't compete for females and also don't forage inthe say way as 'straight' males. However, they do train the young males to fight and forage while acting as body guards to the group from foraging males of other groups. Instead of encountering females and infants, the invaders meet a group of fully grown, very pissed off, males....