My Progress As An Ex-christian

bluewizard

Here is my progress as an ex-Christian. I've been an atheist and ex-Christian since February of 2005 and have seen that the Bible really isn't all that good, don't think it's a perfect book by any means, rarely think abut Hell and the afterlife, know the origins of Hell, how Jesus is a myth borrowed from other myths predating Christianity, and is not te Jewish Messiah, and am generally comfortable as an atheist and an ex-Christian and hate going to church or anything associated with the Christian religion. But I've gotten over the theologoical issues, now the thing that is getting me from time to time is the miracles thing, I still stick to my atheist beliefs but hearing of multiple people witnessing sometihng like the Virgin Mary or Elijah from the Old Testament still gets to me and I get the what-ifs, right now I'm trying to get over reading and hearing of a big group of peopl seeing the Virign Mary at a Catholic church in Egypt during the 7 Day War I think and I'm trying to find something that shows this can be disproved, because if this is in fact true then I'm going to Hell(though I don' believe it I have my what-ifs), this seems to be the last thing separating me from being comfortable and without worries as an atheist, I've goten over the Biblical and Hell things, but the miraces part gets to me, any help on gettig me over this subject would be of great help because I really want to go back to being comfortable in my atheist beliefs.

A lot of so-called miracles are really hoaxes, and a lot of the time Christians like to call coincidences miracles.

You know, I live in MN, and the couple here who had sextuplets, who lost 4 of them because they wouldn't reduce the number of babies before they were born, called them "miracles" even though the mom took fertility drugs. Nothing supernatural involved, yet it was called a "miracle".

With the Virgin Mary thing, if those people had worshiped ETs instead of being Catholic, they would've seen an alien. People see what they are programmed to see. Doesn't mean it's real. In crowds, you can have a mass hypnotic effect going on, especially during a religious service of some kind. People can be very suggestible in church services.

Yeah, I wish I had that link that showed the effect a church service has on a person's emotions, with the organs, the way the preacher manipulates, etc... Yes, I've seen things beforehand that I knew were just coincidental and people claimed they were not, but under the surface it was easy to tell coincidences happen, I guess I should just take all these miracle things with a grain of salt and quit takng them seriously even if I shouldn't, I think the Christian programming of Hell and fear is still present in my mind somewhat, decreased but it'll take some time for the what-ifs to finally stop, this seems to be my last bump in the road concerning finally being my progress as a ex-Christian.

BlueWizzard, I don't remember your story. The strong hold the miracles and the Virgin Mary have on you makes me wonder if perhaps you are from the Catholic church. Where I come from, Mary is just a normal woman and miracles of the saints are unknown. I am not trying to discount the hold your religious teachings have on you because I know it's real. I'm just telling you that not all Christians believe in those things. If those Christians won't burn for not believing those things, then you won't either.

But that won't do away with your teachings. So I don't know if it helps any. I do think time is a major factor. It took me about seven years to get rid of the fear of hell. Haven't been out of Christianity that long, but that's when I left the church I was born into. And leaving that church was enough to send me to hell, according to its teachings.

I've been reading articles on the web (Internet Infidels) and also Marlene Winell's "Leaving the Fold." I am getting the idea that the bible is not only a hopelessly out-dated book but toxic and dangerous as well. Just plain wrong.

This idea started in me as a result of people like LosingMyReligion on here and other gay people just pushing the Bible aside. My attitude had been to re-interpret the Bible to make room for things like homosexuality. But the message I am getting is: Why bother with tortuous re-interpretations? Why not chuck the entire thing? It's evil. It's barbarous. It's worse than no good.

Maybe this isn't all that much related to your question.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I was raised Southern Baptist, just miracles of any sort get to me, most of them are disproved, but I try to say they're not real and the worying doesn't stop, I feel like I'm tihnkinbg with 2 minds sometimes, one's completely athiest, the other worrying side tries to disprove the hell thing. I've been an ex-Christian since I was 16, I guess the best thing would be to just forget and go on but I can't, and I feel like I'm ignoring what ma ybe thr truth, but I just can't believe that Jesus stuff, or God either, and I feel I'm going to end up an athiest and ge tover this, so I'm in an awkward situation.