Goodbye Jesus

Welfare

Wendybabe

btw, I'm not sure I like the word privledged. I came from a middle income family, worked my ass off to get through college and built my own business. This is not a slam on those who are underprivledged, just a comment on the fact that I worked hard for everything I ever got; harder than a lot of people around me.

I'm sure you didn't work harder than a lot of people who barely have a roof, food, and clothing. Starting from a middle-income family gave you an edge. It allowed to a college education--probably without going into debt, and the opportunity to start your own business. Those two items are things most people can only dream of in their more optimistic moments. Think of kids who had to drop out of high school to earn money to supplement the family table. Is it totally unfair that a man with that kind of edge share his good fortune with the less privileged who work just as hard?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vigile

• Dianka

• R. S. Martin

• Grandpa Harley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure you didn't work harder than a lot of people who barely have a roof, food, and clothing. Starting from a middle-income family gave you an edge. It allowed to a college education--probably without going into debt, and the opportunity to start your own business. Those two items are things most people can only dream of in their more optimistic moments. Think of kids who had to drop out of high school to earn money to supplement the family table. Is it totally unfair that a man with that kind of edge share his good fortune with the less privileged who work just as hard?

I'm not opposed to the idea of welfare, so please don't take my comments as such. I understand that there are many who didn't start from a level playing field. But at the same time, it is silly to assume that all poor are represented by the mythical Dickensonian creature who struggles and yet still can't make a way in the world. The truth is, there are a lot of people who just don't try very hard. It would be dishonest to deny this fact.

Regardless, this is not the point of this conversation.

I don't think vigil is opposed to him donating money via Government to prevent people falling too far, but he does object to said government pissing it up the wall rather than it going to the people it should help...

I was about to complain about how so much focus goes toward the welfare budget as perhaps a red herring to distract from military spending. I decided I better do a fact check first and was surprised to learn that welfare spending far outstrips military spending.

Vigile, remember that the Health and Human Services slice of the budget pie isn't all about social services as they're being discussed in this thread. HHS includes the Food and Drug Administration (about $2 billion), Centers for Disease Control (about $4.5 billion), and the National Institutes of Health (about $27 billion).

I suppose one could carry the above departments in the same social/ethical basket as rent support and food stamps, but there does seem to be a difference, doesn't there?

Remember that the Department of Defense budget doesn't reflect the amounts for "supplementals" which the alleged U. S. President has requested to pursue his tyranny in Iraq. The total eventual cost of said bloodthirsty escapade is projected, by studies reported in The Christian Science Monitor and The Boston Globe, to top $2 trillion.

Putting these two points together might make your budget chart on page 2 of this thread support, rather than undercut, your gut feeling about military spending far outweighing dollars spent to help U. S. citizens in need.

Thanks for the clarification Pitchu.

And Gramps, you nailed it.