Goodbye Jesus

Road Rage

Amethyst

You know, I realized something the other day after hearing about this hit and run road rage incident locally. A teenage girl was killed. Her friend was hospitalized. The cops still haven't caught the driver who hit them. A guy called into a local radio station after the girl's father had called in, and said that he used to be "Mr. Road Rage," but he realized how futile it was to get mad at people for being stupid drivers, and he didn't want to be like that for the rest of his life.

I don't think that applies to just driving. People in general aren't going to be less stupid for me or someone else getting mad at them. Sure, it's a normal human reaction, and is justifiable in many cases. But it doesn't change the stupid person's behavior. And yes, I do think that applies to fundies also. The fundies aren't going to magically become any less fundy from me getting pissed at them for being stupid.

I hope that by acting intelligently and reasonably, by accepting people for being different from me and treating everyone like human beings, that small little things like that can make at least my neck of the woods be a better place. I may not be able to change the world, but I can at least do something to make my own neighborhood a little better for others. And if everyone did that, the world would be a much better place to live in. I realize not everyone will do that. But I can.

There is a difference between a fool and a wiseman. The fools mistakes never teach him anything.

Sorry I just thought Id share my wisdom, I felt that had somthing relevant to what your saying. Acting the way you say is how we should all act, not only to be nice and all, but to also prove to the stereotyping christians and others that, not all atheists, non-denominationals, are stupid. Hope I made sense

-Sieghart

When I was in India it was quite interesting to watch the drivers. The roads there are narrow and every usable inch is used by pedestrians, cows, motorcycles, scooters, cars, trucks and buses. It's really mad. And the horn honking is at times confusing and deafening. What is most interesting though is that horns are used as navigational tools, not expletives. The Indians are so calm and patient. Situations that would drive the rest of us to the doctor for BP meds are just taken in stride there with a smile. Their culture is really quite impressive.

There is a difference between a fool and a wiseman. The fools mistakes never teach him anything.

Sorry I just thought Id share my wisdom, I felt that had somthing relevant to what your saying. Acting the way you say is how we should all act, not only to be nice and all, but to also prove to the stereotyping christians and others that, not all atheists, non-denominationals, are stupid. Hope I made sense

-Sieghart

Welcome to the forums, Sieghart. So we have another German. Maybe you will get to meet our other German, Thurisaz.

You made sense. Here in North America non-denominationals are also Christians. Is that different in Germany?

I agree with Amethyst's opening post. I, too, think brightening one's own little corner of the world is a wise and noble thing to do. Trying to be better than Christians is probably not the best standard, but just being a good person with a positive attitude, being willing to help and kind and fair and honest just because that is what makes us happy and good people--surely that will brighten our corner wherever we are.

When I was in India it was quite interesting to watch the drivers. The roads there are narrow and every usable inch is used by pedestrians, cows, motorcycles, scooters, cars, trucks and buses. It's really mad. And the horn honking is at times confusing and deafening. What is most interesting though is that horns are used as navigational tools, not expletives. The Indians are so calm and patient. Situations that would drive the rest of us to the doctor for BP meds are just taken in stride there with a smile. Their culture is really quite impressive.

What a difference in culture. I think part of the problem is that most Americans have never really learned how to deal with stress, and so we get mad at little things because it's the proverbial straw on the camel's back.