I Thought Nz Was Mostly Secular?

gusdafa

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/story.cf...jectid=10443080

It seems that the ugly fundie monster has reared its head in this section where nzherald invite comments on the recent declaration by the prime minister that NZ does not have a state religion. Most of the opinions are pro-christian, "this is a christian nation; we began with christian values; god defend NZ.... ad nauseam. I thought this type of mentality was prevalent in the US? It just made me sad.

I'm not in NZ anymore but I like to read the Herald every now and then from sunny Samoa (a more christian fundy country I'd add). I have begun to actively engage believing family and friends here to explain why they believe in what they believe, that in the faint hope of the late Carl Sagan to light more candles in the darkness of ignorance and superstition.

Guest resident_grump
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/story.cf...jectid=10443080

It seems that the ugly fundie monster has reared its head in this section where nzherald invite comments on the recent declaration by the prime minister that NZ does not have a state religion. Most of the opinions are pro-christian, "this is a christian nation; we began with christian values; god defend NZ.... ad nauseam. I thought this type of mentality was prevalent in the US? It just made me sad.

I'm not in NZ anymore but I like to read the Herald every now and then from sunny Samoa (a more christian fundy country I'd add). I have begun to actively engage believing family and friends here to explain why they believe in what they believe, that in the faint hope of the late Carl Sagan to light more candles in the darkness of ignorance and superstition.

It is, its never had a state religon and its got on fine as far as I'm concerned.

Density church are a very small vocal minority that get loads of airtime and media coverage because of the fringe loony element. Because they are very vocal its easy to think that they represent the masses. If bishop brain had his way, homosexuality would be recriminalised, it would be illegal to practice any religion apart from Christianity and violations of the law punishable by time in detention camps

Luckily enough though they scored something like 1.2% of the total party vote in the last election. The only danger of destiny NZ getting into parliament will be if they manage to schmooze a deal with one of the independent MPs out in South Aucks. If one of them ever get into power, it will be the day i look at imigrating