Goodbye Jesus

Hello From A Fellow Apostate.

Mankey

I assume this is the best place for an intro. I am an apostate of Christianity and I am an atheist. I have been for a few years now. I would give a testimony, but it is painful for me to think or even talk about my experiences as a Christian. Perhaps later, when I am ready.

In the past I have been very angry at Christianity to the point of being a toxic personality. I am done with that. However, I feel compelled to undermine a Christians faith. I feel strongly that we are all better off without faith. I wish to be effective and so I try my level best not to be angry or condescending. I am not perfect and so, at times, I may fail in that, but I do not see it happening very often.

My advice to any doubting Christians: Read the bible yourself without anyones help in understanding what it is saying. Read the whole thing. If you must believe question anything and everything anyone says about what the bible says. If something from scripture offends your mind or hurts your heart, do not put it out of your mind. If anything about your religion bothers you then question it. Truth begs to be questioned and can withstand all tests. That means exposing yourself to all points of view with an open mind. Do not despair at the prospect of the bibles God being a fiction. Plenty of people are perfectly happy and feel purpose in life without Jesus. I wish you peace and happiness regardless.

I am an anti-theist also, but I am not here for that I am here to support Ex-Christians and Christians who are having doubts. I look forward to meeting yall in the forums here at Ex-C.

Hey there, Mankey, and welcome to the forums! Glory!

I used to be a very angry and bitter ex-Christian too, but I also have moved beyond that phase, at least for the most part. I still get angry with Christians and their ignorance and bigotry and their refusals to deal with reality as it is, but not to the extent that I once did.

I would love to hear your testimony, when you are ready.

That's great advice you gave for doubting Christians.

Again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

I used to be a very angry and bitter ex-Christian too, but I also have moved beyond that phase, at least for the most part. I still get angry with Christians and their ignorance and bigotry and their refusals to deal with reality as it is, but not to the extent that I once did.

Thank you kindly for the warm welcome Brother Jeff. :)

I love your Religion is Bullshit website!

Yea, well, I guess I got tired of hating. However, it depresses me that so much energy is waisted on non-issues thanks to the religious right. I really wish more time and resources were spent on science, medicine, space, economy...etc

Thanks to magical thinking and dogma folks just don't think about real issues. It kinda seems to me that, thanks to theism, people are pessimists about what science is capable of doing for humanity. I am an anti-theist evangelist still, but I use a different kind of kungfu this time around. I plan on becoming more knowledgeable about the bible and church history. That is one of many reasons that I am here.

Mankey,

I was once so pissed at *religion* that I'd take on any comers, any game, any time, anywhere and turn my opponents into pudles of befuddled and whiney-assed crybabies..

Now? I reserve that for the political battles chosen.

After a bit you may find your time so saturated with discussing, arguing and talking to and about churchies that you've got time for nothing else.

Fuck that shit....

Life and living it to your specs unhampered by the anchors and regs of the sectarians can take you to directions and headings once unthought of.

Rage on buds, take as many dipfucks as you can in this particular stage in life. This tired mean_ole_fatman will counsel that a bright young cat figures where he *is* and then where he wants to *go* and put aside all the various flotsam of life prior.

Don't know you or any of you yet. will say that the burn in your guts about religious shitte eventually gets replaced with passions and ideas more bent to your new direction rather than bumping heads with them.

Cast off amigo. You don't need their dock to tie to..

kFL

Mankey,

I was once so pissed at *religion* that I'd take on any comers, any game, any time, anywhere and turn my opponents into pudles of befuddled and whiney-assed crybabies..

Now? I reserve that for the political battles chosen.

After a bit you may find your time so saturated with discussing, arguing and talking to and about churchies that you've got time for nothing else.

Fuck that shit....

Life and living it to your specs unhampered by the anchors and regs of the sectarians can take you to directions and headings once unthought of.

Rage on buds, take as many dipfucks as you can in this particular stage in life. This tired mean_ole_fatman will counsel that a bright young cat figures where he *is* and then where he wants to *go* and put aside all the various flotsam of life prior.

Don't know you or any of you yet. will say that the burn in your guts about religious shitte eventually gets replaced with passions and ideas more bent to your new direction rather than bumping heads with them.

Cast off amigo. You don't need their dock to tie to..

kFL

Thanks. I especially agree with "Now? I reserve that for the political battles chosen."

But if I get the impression that a Christian is having doubts, I will help them as best I can. As far as picking my battles I agree. I want good honest arguments for those who are open minded. As far as the dipfuk fundies go I want to be able to lay the smack down on them if they push me. Especially relatives and family. Aside from that it is my desire to inoculate the open minded with decent arguments. I have found that there are plenty of open minded theists out there, but as it is right now I can not answer all of their questions. I simply told them to research while I research.

I get the impression so far that there are far more open minded theists than there are fundies. I have hope.

Truth begs to be questioned and can withstand all tests. That means exposing yourself to all points of view with an open mind.

The best advice anyone could ever give and ignored by most all.

Welcome to the site Mankey.

Truth begs to be questioned and can withstand all tests. That means exposing yourself to all points of view with an open mind.

The best advice anyone could ever give and ignored by most all.

Welcome to the site Mankey.

Thanks Vigile del fuoco1.

I do not always follow my own advice. Right now I am degunking my junk. I am going to read the bible all over again and see if my perception of it has changed. I especially want to start a blog that is kind of like "an ignoramus blogs the bible" Except it is everything from the new testament that deals with jesus only. "A semi hairless simian blogs Jesus." hehe.

It seems there is what people "think" Jesus is verses what scripture shows Jesus to be. I want to see if doing it all over again changes my perception of Jesus. When I start this blog everyone is welcome, especially Christians.

There is what I think I know and what I really know. I might be guilty of only remembering just the things I didn't like. My brain may also be littered with misinformation here and there...I dunno. I am a Free Thinker first, before anything...or at least I try to be.

Welcome to Ex-C. I love your writing style, and look forward to your input here! :) I can totally relate to having a past with a toxic personality when it comes to religion and faith.

In the past I have been very angry at Christianity to the point of being a toxic personality. I am done with that.
I am glad to hear you are done with that. It's only been a while for me since I left the faith even though I sort of saw it coming a couple of years ago. I did and sometimes do have feelings of anger and despair at what I could have done and didn't do. I am especially angry at the unnecessary guilt I lived through for many years over something so simple as not making it to church on Sunday and many other menial things. But I try not to get caught up in those feelings because they don't help me. I actually try to focus on the good that came out of it. when I came to the Jesus 25+ years ago I thought afterwards that it was a good thing at the tim and either kept me alive or out of jail as at that time I was a loose canon as a teen. So I choose to think it was not all a waste even though much was.
My advice to any doubting Christians: Read the bible yourself without anyones help in understanding what it is saying. Read the whole thing. If you must believe question anything and everything anyone says about what the bible says. If something from scripture offends your mind or hurts your heart, do not put it out of your mind. If anything about your religion bothers you then question it. Truth begs to be questioned and can withstand all tests. That means exposing yourself to all points of view with an open mind.

this is what finally did it for me. I actually studied and I mean really studied the bible and eventually there were more questions then answers (God wasn't answereing them) and just to much confusion and contradictions galore that needed teams of theologians to have to constantly explain.

Welcome to the board, I look forward to reading your testamony.

Welcome to Ex-C. I love your writing style, and look forward to your input here! :) I can totally relate to having a past with a toxic personality when it comes to religion and faith.

Thank you Japedo.

I am here to learn, but I also hope I have something to offer here as well.

:)

In the past I have been very angry at Christianity to the point of being a toxic personality. I am done with that.
I am glad to hear you are done with that. It's only been a while for me since I left the faith even though I sort of saw it coming a couple of years ago. I did and sometimes do have feelings of anger and despair at what I could have done and didn't do. I am especially angry at the unnecessary guilt I lived through for many years over something so simple as not making it to church on Sunday and many other menial things. But I try not to get caught up in those feelings because they don't help me. I actually try to focus on the good that came out of it. when I came to the Jesus 25+ years ago I thought afterwards that it was a good thing at the tim and either kept me alive or out of jail as at that time I was a loose canon as a teen. So I choose to think it was not all a waste even though much was.

There were some good things about my experiences as a Christian, even though the painful experiences were totally unnecessary. It was what it was. There is life left to live and we are free now and that is all that matters. :)

My advice to any doubting Christians: Read the bible yourself without anyones help in understanding what it is saying. Read the whole thing. If you must believe question anything and everything anyone says about what the bible says. If something from scripture offends your mind or hurts your heart, do not put it out of your mind. If anything about your religion bothers you then question it. Truth begs to be questioned and can withstand all tests. That means exposing yourself to all points of view with an open mind.

this is what finally did it for me. I actually studied and I mean really studied the bible and eventually there were more questions then answers (God wasn't answereing them) and just to much confusion and contradictions galore that needed teams of theologians to have to constantly explain.

Welcome to the board, I look forward to reading your testamony.

Yea. I never really read the bible either for most of my life as a believer. There were only a few times I read it and I found things that bothered me but I put it out of my mind and forgot them. But one time one of my little cousins could sense that I was struggling with my faith and he had a private bible study with me while he was over. The little shit pointed out contradictions and showed me horrible passages from the Old Testament. After that I read the bible a lot and eventually stopped calling myself a Christian. I moved west and I am living with my sister now. She used to be very religious but isn't now. Life isn't too bad. I have a job, girlfriend and new friends. The best thing that ever happened to me. I am thinking about going to college. I'm not sure yet.

Thank you Japedo.

Welcome to the community, Mankey. I look forward to seeing your contributions to future discussions. :)

Thank you Japedo.

Welcome to the community, Mankey. I look forward to seeing your contributions to future discussions. :)

Thank you kindly smellincoffee. :)

I am not very good at debate yet, but I will offer input in discussions from time to time. I think I will feel more comfortable in the testimonies and ex-christian life forums.

..snipped

I am not very good at debate yet, but I will offer input in discussions from time to time. I think I will feel more comfortable in the testimonies and ex-christian life forums.

Mankey,

Debating is a minor part of what happens here. For most part we thrive on the community aspects of what makes ExC work.

Lotta folks, lots of opinions, even more exposures to others lives and experiences.

Thing I dig about ExC is that we all, even with massive differences in opinion and direction get along well enough to make this corner of web *home* and continue to frequent.

Pull up a seat and enjoy the show.. Toss some peanut shells on floor and avoid the flying beer mugs..

kFL

..snipped

Mankey,

Debating is a minor part of what happens here. For most part we thrive on the community aspects of what makes ExC work.

Lotta folks, lots of opinions, even more exposures to others lives and experiences.

Thing I dig about ExC is that we all, even with massive differences in opinion and direction get along well enough to make this corner of web *home* and continue to frequent.

Pull up a seat and enjoy the show.. Toss some peanut shells on floor and avoid the flying beer mugs..

kFL

:grin: Thanks for the heads up.

I love to read debates, but I am just not interested in debating. I prefer discussions. Thank you for mentioning this.

Thank you kindly for the warm welcome Brother Jeff. :)

I love your Religion is Bullshit website!

Yea, well, I guess I got tired of hating. However, it depresses me that so much energy is waisted on non-issues thanks to the religious right. I really wish more time and resources were spent on science, medicine, space, economy...etc

Thanks to magical thinking and dogma folks just don't think about real issues. It kinda seems to me that, thanks to theism, people are pessimists about what science is capable of doing for humanity. I am an anti-theist evangelist still, but I use a different kind of kungfu this time around. I plan on becoming more knowledgeable about the bible and church history. That is one of many reasons that I am here.

About my glorious website, thanks! Just FYI though if you didn't know, it's now located at http://www.christianityisbullshit.com. Glory!

I find it interesting that fundies will enjoy the benefits of modern science in many ways without questioning its validity, but when science conflicts with their ancient religious myths they reject it and absurdly claim that science isn't really science. :twitch:

I don't know that I'm necessarily anti-theist, but I am anti-organized-religion. I don't really care if people choose to believe in some sort of Supreme Being as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me or others or try to harm me or others because their god allegedly told them to.

I don't hate most fundies personally, but I do often hate what they think, say, and do. I just get so tired of the ignorance and bigotry that so often comes from them, and I never cease to be amazed at how proud they often are of the fact that they are ignorant and bigoted! I also get angry when they do stupid shit like opposing the stem cell research that could benefit many people.

This is a great place to learn about the bible, church history, the history and origins of the Christian religion, etc.

I'm looking forward to your input around here! Glory! :)

About my glorious website, thanks! Just FYI though if you didn't know, it's now located at http://www.christianityisbullshit.com. Glory!

Hehe. I never lost tabs on it. I love sending friends..especially a few Christian friends with a sense of humor a link to your site. Thanks Jeff. :)

I find it interesting that fundies will enjoy the benefits of modern science in many ways without questioning its validity, but when science conflicts with their ancient religious myths they reject it and absurdly claim that science isn't really science. :twitch:

Dude. My blood sugar was low and it hit me like a ton of bricks...had to get something to eat.

Yes. That is why I really don't like the fact that us mankeys still "know" stuff about God...what ever we "know" about God we are stuck with and can't change it.

I don't know that I'm necessarily anti-theist, but I am anti-organized-religion. I don't really care if people choose to believe in some sort of Supreme Being as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me or others or try to harm me or others because their god allegedly told them to.

Yea. I respect your position. I feel that anti-theism should only be practiced by people who it makes sense to. My first priority goes to anti-faith. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for evidence of things not seen." To me, you can't get any more narrow minded than this. I do try to get people to shed their theism, but it is a low priority. I also don't try to make theists feel like trash. Because they aren't trash. I am really against faith though. I think people can believe in Gods using natural theology which will possibly lead to deism...which in turn could possibly lead to atheism. But I am not going to peddle that here at Ex-C. I support Ex-Christians and Christians who are doubting. I hate Christianity and Islam far more than any other religion on the planet.

I don't hate most fundies personally, but I do often hate what they think, say, and do. I just get so tired of the ignorance and bigotry that so often comes from them, and I never cease to be amazed at how proud they often are of the fact that they are ignorant and bigoted! I also get angry when they do stupid shit like opposing the stem cell research that could benefit many people.

I don't hate any theists whether they are fundy or liberal...except for the ones who hurt me. As far as the attacks on science go..faith is bigotry. It is discriminating in an irrational narrow minded fashion....it is virtually impenetrable.

This is a great place to learn about the bible, church history, the history and origins of the Christian religion, etc.

I'm looking forward to your input around here! Glory! :)

Thanks man. I will not discuss anti-theism outside of this thread. I do not want to spook anyone. I care about other apostates and am just grateful enough that they aren't Christians any more.

Welcome Mankey,

I am also a new deconvert and discovered these boards for myself a few weeks ago. Reading about other people's experiences and the history of Christianity has been very informative for me and i hope you will find something here that interests you as well. This is a community of people with a wide range of beliefs on spiritual matters, but where everyone is given respect and a chance to voice their opinions. In my opinions Christianity could learn a lot from the model set by ex-christian forums. Looking forward to hearing your voice on other topics in the forums!

Welcome Mankey,

I am also a new deconvert and discovered these boards for myself a few weeks ago. Reading about other people's experiences and the history of Christianity has been very informative for me and i hope you will find something here that interests you as well. This is a community of people with a wide range of beliefs on spiritual matters, but where everyone is given respect and a chance to voice their opinions. In my opinions Christianity could learn a lot from the model set by ex-christian forums. Looking forward to hearing your voice on other topics in the forums!

I too am very impressed with Ex-Christians.net

Right now I am reading the N.T. and posting here and there. I plan on focusing on bible topics after I have read the whole N.T. again.

Thank you kindly for the warm welcome Lerato. :)

My advice to any doubting Christians: Read the bible yourself without anyones help in understanding what it is saying. Read the whole thing.

I hear this so many times, I think I may start a topic with a poll asking what was the most instrumental in leading to your de-conversion. My bet is that reading the whole Bible ranks amongst the top reasons. I hear this repeated over and over, and it is true for me.

Welcome to the site, and I look forward to hearing your story when you're ready.

My advice to any doubting Christians: Read the bible yourself without anyones help in understanding what it is saying. Read the whole thing.

I hear this so many times, I think I may start a topic with a poll asking what was the most instrumental in leading to your de-conversion. My bet is that reading the whole Bible ranks amongst the top reasons. I hear this repeated over and over, and it is true for me.

Welcome to the site, and I look forward to hearing your story when you're ready.

Man. For most of my Christian life I pretty much just mindlessly parroted what I heard in church or what I heard other Christians say. I was pretty stupid. I highly recommend the bible to doubting Christians.

Thank you kindly for the welcome Antlerman. :)

At one time I was thinking of converting to Judaism (my then financee, now ex-wife is Jewish), so I started to read the Bible, starting at Genesis. I took copious notes and made comments. When I met the Rabbi, I told him what I was doing, and he repremanded me for trying to read it without proper guidance and supervision so I would understand it properly. Completely turned me off to the whole process of converting.

Thought I was doing a good thing, showing interest, and I got yelled at for it (well not yelled at, but told not to).

When I met the Rabbi, I told him what I was doing, and he repremanded me for trying to read it without proper guidance and supervision so I would understand it properly.

In other words "You must understand it exactly the way we want you to understand it"

Hi Mankey. I've enjoyed reading your posts. Welcome aboard!

Antlerman - have you started the poll? Reading the bible was certainly instrumental in my deconversion.