• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amanda

• Ouroboros

• Mr. Neil

• MrSpooky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps, Anxagoras (sp) is right about panspermia. Maybe extremophiles were transported by these comets and/or meteorites? But, the question still arises of what process created the phosphates and nucleobases? :scratch:

What? What'd I do? :shrug:

I'll make fun of the bible if I so want, and I'd make fun of William Shakespeare too, or Harry Potter or whatever. A book is a book. And in this site, gloves are off, no blasphemy laws apply here.

Btw, it wasn't blasphemy anyway, or demeaning in any way and neither was I debunking the Bible... Why wouldn't those segments of the bible correspond to those parts of science? Even in a joking way?

HanSolo... my deepest apologies... and you are ONE of my greatest inspirations at the moment... in more ways than you know. Thinking about this at work this weekend, I realized that it wasn't you with whom I should be upset, it is me and my inaccurate expectations that was my problem. You are right, my sincere apologies again. Intentionally or unintentionally... now you've shaken me more than once... and that is a good thing. :grin:

Although, there seems to me to be several correlations in the "book" that appears to be just right on target, too much to be coincidence. Yes, such as let there be light and the Big Bang theory of the initial wall of light... amongst much more... and I was hoping to debate you as to discern the accuracy of my conclusions.... which are never conclusive anyway. So much for that, and I apologize once more.. and that's that.

(That could explain why 1+1+1=1 is true in Christianity.)

My two cents...

1+1+1=1 is best articulated by a Buddhist thought I had read, defining the three aspects of Truth. (Buddha was before Jesus was born.) The power of Truth (Father), the consciousness of Truth (Son), divine rapture of truth, as in collectively attained (Holy Spirit).... so here are three manifestations of the same thing.

BTW, evolution is in the "book" and it is more notably recognizable as beginning what I think is the homoerectus era, when genders took on different roles, and more thrust put on the crowmagnum man as in which the time of reasoning leaped.

The power of Truth (Father), the consciousness of Truth (Son), divine rapture of truth, as in collectively attained (Holy Spirit).... so here are three manifestations of the same thing.

Wow! That's no different to saying that Christianity is also manifest in baseball because you need a baseball (Father), bat (Son), and glove (Holy Spirit)!

Wow! That's no different to saying that Christianity is also manifest in baseball because you need a baseball (Father), bat (Son), and glove (Holy Spirit)!

My friend Kay, please explain to me... as I am not too smart, how the baseball is the power of the sport, the bat is the consciousness of the sport made manifest to us here and now, and that the glove is the collective meaning of the sport. Thanks in advance, and I anxiously await your line of reasoning.

Do you mean that the baseball is the influential force that makes it all happen, because I would think that would be more of the promoters and owners... although I'm not an expert on baseball. The consciousness of baseball is the bat? I would think that would be the person that exhibited the most understanding of the idea of baseball to us all... perhaps Ted Williams or.... you tell me, I'm not an expert on baseball... although the bat seems quite elusive to me in my stupidity to understand. The collective rapture of the collective knowledge of the sport I would think would be the players, the audience, and the commontators or reporters... so how is it the glove?

I'm sure you have a purpose that is reflective of your experiences... and I can probably truly relate to much of your frustration. Perhaps you are questioning my clarity from the beginning? Is this just an anology that shows the unimportance of it to you... or is there a truly deeper meaning that I am not getting?

Don't forget the three innings!

The first time I saw a baseball match, I realized that everything was based on 3 or 3by3 (9) etc. Sorry for my bad english, it was my sons birthday, and we were in the pool for 5 hours and only one meal, and a very good martini (several servings), so my Englisch isch not scho good rite nooow, ooookay?!

Perhaps you are questioning my clarity from the beginning? Is this just an anology that shows the unimportance of it to you...

I'm stupefied you could read so much into sarcasm.

I found your analogy of the Trinity to the concepts in Buddhism....let's just say I didn't see your analogy/tying-in at all.

Thus my own example sought to demonstrate that I could likewise take three things and attribute them, however nonsensically or illogically or impossibly, to the Christian faith.

You had two choices in responding:

1) Show how your analogy is justified; or

2) Ignore me as another pot stirer who only wanted to throw in two cents for anyone to care about ;)

Ps - I also got the baseball and the ball mixed up - the bat is the father and the ball the son. Yes, it makes so much more sense now.

On Trinity, for the sake of knowledge and opinion exchange:

God the Holy Father, Jesus the Holy Son, Holy Spirit

God the Holy Father is perfect (God is perfect)

Jesus the Holy Son is perfect (“)

Holy Spirit is perfect (“)

If something is PERFECT, how could the perfect object be added anything more to it?

So how could Perfect add to Perfect to make Perfect?

Unless you are saying God the Holy Father, the Holy Son, the Holy Spirit each is NOT perfect, together the three add together to become perfect.

Both situations do not allow Trinity to be valid.

(However, I do know of arguments to argue FOR Trinity. One day at a time.)

HanSolo... my deepest apologies... and you are ONE of my greatest inspirations at the moment... in more ways than you know. Thinking about this at work this weekend, I realized that it wasn't you with whom I should be upset, it is me and my inaccurate expectations that was my problem. You are right, my sincere apologies again. Intentionally or unintentionally... now you've shaken me more than once... and that is a good thing.  :grin:

Although, there seems to me to be several correlations in the "book" that appears to be just right on target, too much to be coincidence. Yes, such as let there be light and the Big Bang theory of the initial wall of light... amongst much more... and I was hoping to debate you as to discern the accuracy of my conclusions.... which are never conclusive anyway. So much for that, and I apologize once more.. and that's that.

Amanda, that's very kind, and thoughtful words of you. I accept the apology. What else could I do?

And just so you know, I didn’t keep any resentment for what you said. I was just surprised at the reaction, since it was merely a joke.

Islamic believers are able to see even more correlations in their "book". See for example Scientists on the Qur'an in which the same old things are repeated endlessly: embryology / organogenesis.

Somewhere else the Qu'ran seems to predict plate-tectonics, evolution, etc. Some calculate the age of the universe like this:

(source) 6,000,000,000,000 days/365.25 = 16.427104723 billion years
This is from this site: Miracles of the Qu'ran with circa 100 other examples.

For refutation you've only to look for e.g. (ISIS): the Secular Islam website, or answering-islam, or at infidels.

Don't forget the three innings!

The first time I saw a baseball match, I realized that everything was based on 3 or 3by3 (9) etc. Sorry for my bad english, it was my sons birthday, and we were in the pool for 5 hours and only one meal, and a very good martini (several servings), so my Englisch isch not scho good rite nooow, ooookay?!

Yesterday was my son's birthday as well, and we spent hours out in the pool. We had beer instead of martinis though.

Coincidence? I think not. It's obviously a message from god. That message is "buy more beer and vodka".

I'm stupefied you could read so much into sarcasm.

I found your analogy of the Trinity to the concepts in Buddhism....let's just say I didn't see your analogy/tying-in at all.

Ahhhhh sarcasm. Kay, I said I wasn't too smart. me ---> :dumbo: So you were unable to see any correlation of the triune to the Buddhist assertion of the three manifestations of Truth? My apologies, as I took it as obvious... yet I can now see where it may not be. I will present my reasoning, if you care... which you probably don't. Considering the whole scope of everything, it is probably not that important.

It seems to me that there is an untangible manifestation of the power of truth. Its creative forces seem to culminate a multitude of alliances that perpetuate itself through its resistance and can afford one the ability to stand in its position without waivering or falling. This is discriptive of the Father, in my opinion.

Jesus, the son and creation of this power, seems to demonstrate its use here on earth, hence bringing these principles into conscious awareness.

The holy Spirit is the divine rapture of the spirit of Truth distributed to us all, yet maybe not recognized by many of us yet.

Since your perspective of the Father, the Son, and the holy Spirit are not the same as mine, I can see where you see no correlation at all... and my apologies for assuming it would be obvious to everyone. I stand corrected and hopefully adjust my expectations to being more accurate. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Yesterday was my son's birthday as well, and we spent hours out in the pool.  We had beer instead of martinis though.

Coincidence?  I think not.  It's obviously a message from god.  That message is "buy more beer and vodka".

I should have gone with the beer instead of the vodka.

All that exercising - swiming in the pool-, being in the sun and the martini dried me up, I'm all dehydrated today. It's ok to dring water to restore the body, but my head is a bit heavy. :)

So you were unable to see any correlation of the triune to the Buddhist assertion of the three manifestations of Truth?

Amanda, I would very much like to find out where you got this information. I thought I was pretty up on Buddhist philosophy, but I hadn't heard of the "3 manifestations of Truth"...

:thanks:

Amanda, I would very much like to find out where you got this information.  I thought I was pretty up on Buddhist philosophy, but I hadn't heard of the "3 manifestations of Truth"...

I must say that I am not into ONE resource for Buddhism, or for the many other faiths I explore, such as Zen and Suffis. I thought it was from a Buddhist book or article that I remember reading the three manifestations of Truth. I wish I was smart enough to claim the credit for this revelation, yet I assure you it was not me. It just seems that I read it one day, made the correlation instantly, and the analogy stayed with me. I am not emphatically positive it came from a Buddhist source, yet it still resonates with me as being the one.

Which doctorine do you mostly identify? I seem to have been drawn into the Tebbetan (spelling?) Buddhist philosophy most. Is there ONE major resource for Buddhism? Perhaps the Dali Llama?

Which doctorine do you mostly identify? I seem to have been drawn into the Tebbetan (spelling?) Buddhist philosophy most. Is there ONE major resource for Buddhism? Perhaps the Dali Llama?

Hi Amanda,

Don't worry, I wasn't grilling you... just curious... :grin:

As for me, I follow the Theravada school of Buddhism. It is not a religion (it's a relationship! Sorry, couldn't resist...), it's a philosophy for living. There's no element of worship (as found in many other versions of Buddhism) or mysticism. I use the moniker "non-theistic" because most people have no idea what I mean when I list "theravada".

As you are probably already aware, there are almost as many forms of Buddhism as their are Christianity. One main source? Not really. The Sutra's (dialouges of the Buddha) would probably be the closest, but there are certainly others. Here's a link that gives you a bit of the history of Buddhist literature.

Tibetan Buddhism? I'm not terribly familiar with it. I believe it's an offshoot of the Theravada school, but w/an element of mysticism added. The Dalai Lama is considered to be the reincarnation of the founder of their order, I think this is the 13th or 14th so far. So for them, yes, the Dalai would be considered the authority I imagine.

For me, I am reminded of the words of Sidhartha (that's Buddha's name, "Buddha" is technically a title, like "Christ") to his disciples near the time of his death:

"Be lamps unto yourselves. Be a refuge unto yourselves. Do not turn to any external refuge... Work out your own salvation with diligence."

Sorry....didn't mean to hijack thread there...

Evolution has holes? Sure! No theory is complete, and all are open to modification by future discoveries.

Will they ever be filled? As best as the human mind is capable I'm sure.

Does evolution have ANYTHING to do with the origin of life? NO! It doesn't require that information to be a functional theory.

Does creationism actually add to our knowledge base in any meaningful way? Not really...

Ok. Talk amongst yourselves...

I seem to have been drawn into the Tebbetan (spelling?) Buddhist philosophy most.

I can hardly bring myself to find you credible speaking on the topic of Buddhism or give your words weight when you fail to correctly spell the topic which you speak of.

Furthermore, like Skankboy, the "3 manifestations of Truth" is the first I've heard.

I thought it was from a Buddhist book or article that I remember reading the three manifestations of Truth.

You are not even sure what your own source is or stands for...and yet you initially expected your nonsensical analogy to be "obvious to everyone".

Nuff said.