Goodbye Jesus

The Confessional

syndacit

I read a script in the drama dept at school about theis guy who meets satan and satan is strying to buy his soul. Really funny scene and all, but he talks about how he created church.

It goes along the lines of this

satan - The church was quiet a clever thing, especially the confessional. Thats my pride and joy.

You see, people commit sins every day, so then the go to confessional and confesses their sins. But what they dont know is god only forgives you once!

So a priest is studying all his life and is average in his grades. So when you commit a sin you go to the C average Priest and ask for forgiveness, and the C average priest says what you need to do to recieve forgiveness, and however many hail marys you need. But it only works once! So you keep giving the priest donations because you believe your soul is saved, but it isn't, the C Average priest is just making himself look like an idiot doing all those hail marys for nothing.

Pretty Clever huh?

----

Then it goes on about what the Guy wants is true love, and satan is trying to get him a whore lol its really funny

But here is the thing.

Can your life really be saved a by a C average priest more then once?

It seems that confessionals could be like that. One time use only.

Cause it only gives man the ability of asking forgiveness then committing the sin again.

I see what you're saying, Syndacit. You might say that the layman's use of the Confessional provides him with license to continue "sinning."

It's your lucky day; you're forgiven. :Wendywhatever:

I see what you're saying, Syndacit. You might say that the layman's use of the Confessional provides him with license to continue "sinning."

It's your lucky day; you're forgiven. :Wendywhatever:

exactly

What if a christian commited the same sin every week and asked for forgiveness.

Then an Athiest commited the sin once but thought it was wrong and never did it again.

Which one should god love more technically?

exactly

Then an Athiest commited the sin once but thought it was wrong and never did it again.

This is the sort of thing that Luther rebelled against. Not only could you get your sin forgiven every week but you could buy a ticket called an indulgence good for a future sin.

This is the sort of thing that Luther rebelled against.  Not only could you get your sin forgiven every week but you could buy a ticket called an indulgence good for a future sin.

And then Luther introduced solo gratia, the whole idea that BibleGod's grace was enough to forgive your sins, if you made a direct confession. Then someone else decided that you didn't need to confess at all, because BibleGod knew if you were sorry for what you did, being omniscient at all. Which ultimately leads to the idea some protestant christians have that they can 1) Accept Jesus to be saved, and 2) carry on "sinning", 'cause their saved, as long as they feel a little remorse for it. OSAS - Once Saved Always Saved. Circular logic at it's finest...

The whole concept of "sin and salvation/damnation" just boggles me, anyway...I like "karma" or "don't do it 'cause you wouldn't want it done to you" a lot better.

Don't worry. As any protestant will tell you, catholics aren't TrueChristians at all, and will be going directly to hell.

Guest WhatIsTruth9
exactly

Its kinda like those fucking Baptists and Pentecostals I see around this neck of the woods. They get wasted every night of the week, go make a special trip on Saturday to get their weekend liquor and then go to church and yell alot on Sunday about how everyone is going to hell and sin and shit...

But yet....they've been baptised in the water of jebus....so they get to go to heaven, where you get to sit there and look at BibleGod and tell him how great he is...

Fuck that Jack. :woohoo:

But here is the thing.

Can your life really be saved a by a C average priest more then once?

It seems that confessionals could be like that. One time use only.

Cause it only gives man the ability of asking forgiveness then committing the sin again.

I enjoyed everyone's remarks... thanks for the chuckles! It does look fairly humorous... if it wasn't so hypocritical... but then again, that might be the humor here. Jesus came for the lost... (so here I am)... and perhaps it's more recognizable of 'us' being 'lost' to the rest of the world. :HaHa:

However, this is one of the arenas in debate with 'us' so I hope I can express a view or two here. :shrug: Regarding the "Book" from which we Christians attain knowledge as we esteem to be like Jesus... it seems to me that it is not all about meeting critieria for acceptance/initiation into a 'club'. It is for principles to have a better life here, hence for ourself now.

I'm no denomination, yet confessing a sin to someone else does several things. One is that it shows one acknowledges their wrong doing. Two is that they humble themselves before someone else. Three is that they put themself in judgement of someone they respect and come for guidance/accountablility. ALL are saved by grace (I know, I know... most of you don't want to be saved... please bear with me for arguments sake) and the more we do wrong, the more grace there is... yet it is not to continue to do wrong... that is emphatically clarified.

Hey, what it says and what we do are not always the same... and perhaps THAT makes great material for some great humor...