Goodbye Jesus

What Would Make You A Non-believer?

TexasFreethinker

Okay, so, do each of you actually expect me to say Oh well, you got to me, I quit, you were right, I was wrong. Sure, "as if" okay?

What's up with that crappy attitude? Did the spiritual patience run out? What about the fruits of the spirit, is your spirit so full of itself that you can't handle pressure?

Why is it important to you to recruit others into your anti-God club? And don't you dare tell me you aren't anti-God and that you are just neutral on the subject because that's not at all true. You are putting a lot of effort into fighting God and His people. If you aren't for God, you are against Him. So, you were Christians and now you work for Satan. If you really are/were Christians, you are going to have a LOT of explaining to do someday.

Sonya, that was a hit under the belt. I've been extremely patient and kind to you, which isn't the way I treat most Christians that come here. Here's the lowdown for you: WE ARE NOT RECRUITING ANYONE!!!

Now, you have turned me against you, because now I know you are the third or fourth idiot we have coming here this week. This website is to support people who lost their faith and belief in your religion, and that's it. No one is recruiting anyone. I have not walked around knocking doors or walked the center to get more atheists. I did do those things as a Christian though. I was recruiting for Jesus during my Christian years, but as an atheist I respect peoples personal opinions and beliefs, which you obviously do not!

This post from you is full of hatered and anger. You are the next suicide bomber we'll hear on TV who killed 20 innocent people because you want to take them to Hell. You are EVIL. There's no love from God in you at all, because you are full of lies and evil thoughts. You rejoice in peoples mishaps and you're full of pride when you think you are better than everyone else.

If anyone goes to Hell, it will be you.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• sonyaj68

• Antlerman

• pitchu

Why is it important to you to recruit others into your anti-God club? And don't you dare tell me you aren't anti-God and that you are just neutral on the subject because that's not at all true. You are putting a lot of effort into fighting God and His people. If you aren't for God, you are against Him. So, you were Christians and now you work for Satan. If you really are/were Christians, you are going to have a LOT of explaining to do someday.

You're confusing our low tolerance for idiotic claims as recruitment. When is the last time an atheist asked you or anyone you know for a handout to go evangelize Africa, the Ukraine, or New Guinea? When is the last time you saw an atheist on the street corner with a bull horn? When is the last time you found an atheist tract on the cereal aisle in the supermarket?

You came into our private area where we discuss thoughts and ideas amongst ourselves uninvited, though not unwelcome. For the most part we keep our mouths shut in public and try not to make asses of ourselves. But when someone comes to our home and starts talking about something as inane as faith and invisible boogie men that live somewhere in the sky, we call a spade a spade.

How is that recruitment?

You need to grow up Sonya.

Why is it important to you to recruit others into your anti-God club?

We don't recruit. We don't stick pro-athiest pamphlets under windshield wipers, we don't go door to door, and we certainly aren't prowling the summer fairgrounds with a bible in one hand and a little "book" of colored pages telling the "salvation" story to unattended children.

All that littering, harassment, and child stalking....that's YOUR department. Not ours.

And don't you dare tell me you aren't anti-God and that you are just neutral on the subject because that's not at all true.

We have not beef with any supreme being, we do oppose religion...which is of MAN, regardless of how hard you want to believe otherwise.

You are putting a lot of effort into fighting God and His people. If you aren't for God, you are against Him. So, you were Christians and now you work for Satan.

See? The christian Hubris at work! Your religion is the right one, the supreme being is the christian god, yadda yadda yadda. How do you have more evidence that the Christian god is IT, than say.... Allah? You have a Bible? Someone else holds the Qur'an just as sacred.

If you really are/were Christians, you are going to have a LOT of explaining to do someday.

Idle threats. What is it with the christians and the idle threats? They come here....thow the same tired shit at us, and when we challenge them to think for themselves always go back to the schoolyard with "Someday you're gonna be sorry" taunts while snivelling snot on their sleeve.

Why do you people come here? You want to try to claim that you are all so similar because since the message is twue, the people representing it are going to be similar? Only to a point! You guys are similar enough in attitude to be a clone of the same person over and over. With so little variability and diversity of personality...how can we be tempted to that? Freaking pod people.

Okay, so, do each of you actually expect me to say Oh well, you got to me, I quit, you were right, I was wrong. Sure, "as if" okay?

Nope, All we ask is that you use reason and logic and stop trying to force us all to play make-believe at the end of a spiritual, emotional gun.

Wow Princess.. Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies.. :loser:

didja steal this line from bush? ergo.. If we support our rights we must be supporters of the terrorist. Are you freaking KIDDING ME? What a narrow minded fool you are. I have my own rights.. I have the right to not believe in things that can't be proven. I have the right not to want my tax money being spend on programs that further this indoctrination. I have the right to keep gods people from running MY PERSONAL life and from running a forced theocracy. I have the right to look to science and reason, logic and humanistic goodness. I have the right to question your DOGMA. I have lots of RIGHTS that go against your stupid pitiful hateful bullshit that btw you are here to RECRUIT for.

I don't go to xtain forums, I don't have a church, or a dogma I want to force down anyones throat. I stay with like minded individuals and work from that route. If by some chance a believer in fairytales comes to our lions den, they come so at their own risk of losing their faith to reason. NO ONE forced you to become a registered member and post here, NOT one person. NO one is holding you here now. How dare you come here to our personal safe haven and HAVE the fucking audacity to accuse us of RECRUITMENT. That's the thing with all you bullshit dogma believers, NOTHING you say or do is TRUE. You pull shit out of your ass and believe it's the truth because you said it/think it.. Facts are always irrelevant... :Wendywhatever:

Hey... FWIW, I think that most fundamentalists are frozen in their beliefs by their fear of an eternal hell after they die, if they don't believe how they believe! THIS is a very powerful brain washing technique, IMO. Also, they do espouse love for each other, and create an elitist mentality, really... although I think many of them don't realize it. Fundy beliefs foster a feeling of "being special". Additionally, our culture slips in so many fundy beliefs as presuppositions that never go challenged... unless people come here. :wicked:

IMO, if the concept of an everlasting hell is debunked, and they can still foster love with the rest of humanity without having to be more special than someone else... then I think many can finally confront their beliefs through reason. :wink:

If anyone thinks someone can talk someone into possibly slipping into everlasting hell... good luck! :shrug:

What if you're wrong???

And one more thing Sonya, this statement of yours basically tell us to be afraid of being wrong. You want to scare us to faith. And you're the one claiming that faith is NOT an emotion?

Lets say one of us now suddenly became Christian, solely out of that statement of yours, that would mean they decided out of fear of eternal torture. Will that person be a real and true Christian, or was it just emotional manipulation that caused this person to believe?

If he/she now is not a true Christian because they have faith based on the wrong reasons, well who is to blame? The answer is YOU. You scared the person into a faulty way of believing, and God will punish YOU for misleading his children. It would be better that you tied a large stone around your neck and jumped of the bridge... isn't that what Jesus said about false teachers?

Sonya,

In no way shape or form did I go into on on "your turf" electronically or real.life and take a shit on your carpet.

Am not out to "deGod" your family members, friends, or even yourself.

You walked into my Home on 'net and started off telling me what is "wrong" with me, due in most part to my not following your version of Diety.

Sonya, you are the Taliborn.

Feel free to hang around as long as you can stand the heat, however you have earned my scorn and ire.

You've offered nothing new to discussions here save the touch of personal information metered out. Other than that, you are repeating the Same Shit-Different Day as the last thousand sectarians visited here.

kFL

What's up with that crappy attitude? Did the spiritual patience run out? What about the fruits of the spirit, is your spirit so full of itself that you can't handle pressure?

Sonya, that was a hit under the belt. I've been extremely patient and kind to you, which isn't the way I treat most Christians that come here. Here's the lowdown for you: WE ARE NOT RECRUITING ANYONE!!!

Now, you have turned me against you, because now I know you are the third or fourth idiot we have coming here this week. This website is to support people who lost their faith and belief in your religion, and that's it. No one is recruiting anyone. I have not walked around knocking doors or walked the center to get more atheists. I did do those things as a Christian though. I was recruiting for Jesus during my Christian years, but as an atheist I respect peoples personal opinions and beliefs, which you obviously do not!

This post from you is full of hatered and anger. You are the next suicide bomber we'll hear on TV who killed 20 innocent people because you want to take them to Hell. You are EVIL. There's no love from God in you at all, because you are full of lies and evil thoughts. You rejoice in peoples mishaps and you're full of pride when you think you are better than everyone else.

If anyone goes to Hell, it will be you.

I won't agree with the going to hell part or the suicide bomber part, but I was wrong to "go off" and the only "excuse" I have is too many days of continuing ed classes and being too tired and grouchy. I was wrong to be rude on your website, you are right. I'm sorry although I don't expect you to accept my apology. I'm going to stop posting because obviously I'm wasting your time, anyway, but again I wish you the best.

I won't agree with the going to hell part or the suicide bomber part, but I was wrong to "go off" and the only "excuse" I have is too many days of continuing ed classes and being too tired and grouchy. I was wrong to be rude on your website, you are right. I'm sorry although I don't expect you to accept my apology. I'm going to stop posting because obviously I'm wasting your time, anyway, but again I wish you the best.

Of course you won't agree on the hell and bombing part, and I said that to wake you up. You came here, to us, and you ask us why "we are recruiting".

Lets say you walk into a hospital, do you ask the patients why they are bleeding and what the hospital is recruiting patients? Do you? It was extremely arrogant and ignorant on your part and I think you said those things because you deep down are scared about the non-Christians. You are afraid we and others will take away your security blanked you get from your faith. If that security blanket disappears, do you know what will happen to your faith? I know.

You're not wasting my time though. Debating and discussing is my passion. I did learn something from you though, which I thank you for. (Besides I rarely hold anything against anyone - so if you want to continue to discuss we can do that - but think about your assumptions and prejudice a bit, because I can tell you have plenty of them.)

You are afraid we and others will take away your security blanked you get from your faith. If that security blanket disappears, do you know what will happen to your faith? I know.

HanSolo, I think you got a BINGO. I still think it is the fear of "hell" and the loss of feeling special, that keeps people lingering into fundy mentality. We're all going to hell, and Sonya gets to remain in the special group. However, Sonya is willing to allow us to come into their group if we too believe a certain way... like we can choose how we interpret the information/facts we have. How can anyone ever break that brainwashing? :shrug:

Nice try my friend. :thanks:

Following on from a private exchange... Converting me to a belief in God would be akin to pulling the pin on a hand grenade and holding on for the ride. :fdevil: Put it this way, if the guy in the bible is in charge, then Satan had a point... I have sympathy for the devil...

I can only hope I planted a seed.

Hans, I have a question for you and it is asked with sincerety. What about your children? I assume you won't take them to church, but do your parents and/or your wife's parents still believe and, if so, will they expect the children to go to church with them on special occasions (like holidays, for example) - or what if one of their friends invite them. Is church forbidden or your children? Does it scare you or worry you a tiny little bit that your children aren't getting a chance to choose for themselves if they will follow God or not? As a parent I do my best to protect my children from evil things in this world as long as I can. Do you feel that way about God, or the belief in God anyway?

Sonya, you have no clue what you're dabbling in when you clomp through these forums and start probing into Hans and his family. No clue. No clue. Not a single fucking clue.

Does it scare you or worry you a tiny little bit that your children aren't getting a chance to choose for themselves if they will follow God or not? As a parent I do my best to protect my children from evil things in this world as long as I can. Do you feel that way about God, or the belief in God anyway?

The problem with this question Sonya is that it assumes God is real. In asking someone if they're going to give their child a choice to choose whether they are going to believe in Jesus, you are assuming in your mind it’s a valid choice. It’s not a valid choice for everyone. It's no different than me asking if you are going to send your children to a Mosque and let them choose whether or not to follow Mohammad and Allah. They’re children and need to grow up first before being exposed to these sorts of things. Would you send your kids with a Hare Krishna relative to a Hindu temple to give them a choice about the Lord Krishna?

One doesn't have to believe any of these gods, including Jesus, are evil to not want to send your kids into every temple under the sun. To me it seems better to teach them at home about other beliefs, and when they're emotionally ready and are interested themselves to go see adults in the act of worshipping sky gods, then they can go (chaperoned of course for their own protection) to experience this face of culture. To me it's a good thing for them to experience from an anthropological point of view.

I'm curious; would you take you children to a Buddhist temple if they told you today they wanted to go? Would you say no? I would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

Does it scare you or worry you a tiny little bit that your children aren't getting a chance to choose for themselves if they will follow God or not? As a parent I do my best to protect my children from evil things in this world as long as I can. Do you feel that way about God, or the belief in God anyway?

The problem with this question Sonya is that it assumes God is real. In asking someone if they're going to give their child a choice to choose whether they are going to believe in Jesus, you are assuming in your mind it’s a valid choice. It’s not a valid choice for everyone. It's no different than me asking if you are going to send your children to a Mosque and let them choose whether or not to follow Mohammad and Allah...

Sonya, Antlerman brings up a good point.

There is a critical fork in the road when determining what's a valid choice as far as theistic beliefs go.

One path is to make your choice based on solid, umambiguous evidence (in other words, not faith). For many of us, that's what children should be taught - that decisions in life should be based on the best available evidence and that they should always be willing to consider new evidence.

Once you take the other path, tho, and teach your children to make important decisions by ignoring evidence and not requiring proof you've opened the door to every religion out there. If faith is all that's required then your flavor of god is no different from all the other flavors. Your only hope is to brainwash your children sufficiently so they will never start questioning the foundation of their beliefs. You've left them defenseless once the levee of faith is breached.

I think training your children to demand proof and remain open-minded is the only way to protect them from evil things in this world.

I think training your children to demand proof and remain open-minded is the only way to protect them from evil things in this world.

Teaching them the skills of critical thought in all areas of their lives will prepare them for the world better than any indoctrination into a belief system. Those who teach their children skills in critical thought are really the only ones who are giving their children a choice.

Indonctrination is not choice.

... Does it scare you or worry you a tiny little bit that your children aren't getting a chance to choose for themselves if they will follow God or not? As a parent I do my best to protect my children from evil things in this world as long as I can. Do you feel that way about God, or the belief in God anyway?

Sonya, one more thought on this:

If you are wrong and there is no christian god think of the evil that is being done to children by your religion. Most christian sects teach their children that they are so evil that they deserve to spend eternity in hell suffering all sorts of torture. Do you understand what damage that does to a child? I remember as a young Southern Baptist feeling horrible that I was so bad that I deserved to go to hell. I can't think of worse emotional abuse than for a parent to tell this to his child. Talk about true evil.

Hans, I have a question for you and it is asked with sincerety. What about your children? I assume you won't take them to church, but do your parents and/or your wife's parents still believe and, if so, will they expect the children to go to church with them on special occasions (like holidays, for example) - or what if one of their friends invite them. Is church forbidden or your children? Does it scare you or worry you a tiny little bit that your children aren't getting a chance to choose for themselves if they will follow God or not? As a parent I do my best to protect my children from evil things in this world as long as I can. Do you feel that way about God, or the belief in God anyway?

I'm glad you're asking.

The day I realized my faith was gone, first it was quite scary, and for several weeks and even months I was worried about how I would break it to my family. One day I managed to sit down and slowly try to reveal my new realization about myself to my wife, and when I said something like "I'm not sure anymore if there is a God", she answered "I agree. I don't either. I have though about this for years now." So I came to know that she is very agnostic now, and from more discussions later, the events in our family basically led her also to losing her faith.

And when it comes to the kids, we don't take them to church but they have christian friends. We have christian friends in the family too. We occasionally spend time with a Catholic family on the street. We also have Catholic nanny that takes the kids to church once in a while. My oldest kids went to church for a while, and my oldest one played guitar in the church band ... as an agnostic! He's friend and he talk a lot, and most of his friends are also now very agnostic and less religious.

So the layout right now is that my three oldest sons are atheists, by their own choices. My oldest daugher is more pagan, and my youngest she's actually a bit religious and believe there is a god and a heaven, and I tell her that she can believe whatever she want as long as she's good to other people, and that religion doesn't ruin her life and that the things she believe must make some sense and can't contradict science and reality.

Basically I'm very open minded about what people believe, and I don't force my kids to believe anything. I even encourage them to read the Bible, which my second son is doing right now, and we have real great discussions about it. He finds all these silly contradictions and complete nonsense in there by himself and bring it to me and we discuss it. I even challenged him once that I took the Christians role and argued for Christianity, Bible and Faith, and I got him cornered several times, but then helped him out how to think and what the problem was in the Christian argument.

See, the the payoff for being a participating and engaged member on this site, being open minded and not forcing my kids to believe my beliefs, is open minded kids who can figure things out on their own. And I can tell you, this is totally opposite to how I was as a Christian. I forced my kids then, but now I let them choose. Do you? Do you give them the same open minded freedom to make their own choices?

Here's a bonus question for you Sonya, does God regret creating Satan?

Sonya, you have no clue what you're dabbling in when you clomp through these forums and start probing into Hans and his family. No clue. No clue. Not a single fucking clue.

It's okay Pitchu. I find Sonya a bit intriguing.

I’m not a bad person. I do understand your desire to protect your friend, but you need to know that I understand a tiny bit of what he’s gone through. I’m not trying to be an argumentative, hateful person who is waiting for an answer to I can trip him up. He’s just been open in answering my questions and it was a very serious question that I had and I don’t think he’ll mind answering it.

Here’s a side comment, which you will more than likely not appreciate. My very intelligent friend, my ‘dead body buddy’ Donna, told me a long time ago that people who use foul language all the time have a lazy vocabulary because they won’t go to the trouble to use better descriptive words. Just thought I’d throw that in there. I’m not putting you down, just letting you know that you might get your point across if you tried to throw in a few other words in now and then.

The problem with this question Sonya is that it assumes God is real. In asking someone if they're going to give their child a choice to choose whether they are going to believe in Jesus, you are assuming in your mind it’s a valid choice. It’s not a valid choice for everyone. It's no different than me asking if you are going to send your children to a Mosque and let them choose whether or not to follow Mohammad and Allah. They’re children and need to grow up first before being exposed to these sorts of things. Would you send your kids with a Hare Krishna relative to a Hindu temple to give them a choice about the Lord Krishna?

One doesn't have to believe any of these gods, including Jesus, are evil to not want to send your kids into every temple under the sun. To me it seems better to teach them at home about other beliefs, and when they're emotionally ready and are interested themselves to go see adults in the act of worshipping sky gods, then they can go (chaperoned of course for their own protection) to experience this face of culture. To me it's a good thing for them to experience from an anthropological point of view.

I'm curious; would you take you children to a Buddhist temple if they told you today they wanted to go? Would you say no? I would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

Those are good thoughts and questions. I’ve worked in children and youth ministry for 20+ years. Just from my experience working in church, most children are saved by the age of 12. The older they get, if they have not accepted Christ, the least likely it is that they will make a decision. I always go back to Jesus saying unless you come to Him “as a little child†you will not see the kingdom of heaven. I know that scripture means more than ‘only children can be saved’, but it is true that children are open to listen to God. I always hate it for the children’s sake when I see a family who does not go to church, because I feel like they aren’t giving that child the basic opportunity to learn and to come to know God. I may be rambling but I don’t mean to. I think what I’m getting at is saying “Wait until they grow up and decide for themselves†I has never made sense for me, because by the time they grow up, statistically it will be too late for them to make a decision for Christ and they’ll end up “playing church†and never come to the saving knowledge of Christ.

Then, I started thinking about the situations of people like Hans - people who grew up in the church and later rejected it, and it made me wonder how they would handle it with their kids. Would they forbid church or allow them to go. How would they tell them about it?

This may be a dumb example, but in our house, you are born a Dallas Cowboy fan. That’s just the way it is. My husband started teaching our sons about football when they were tiny boys, and they watched games together before they could sit up alone. We didn’t wait until they were of a certain age and said “Ok, honey, today is the day you decide which football team you like.†If one of our boys would have decided to pick another team, we wouldn’t have disowned him, but they both knew what they had learned from us which team was “our teamâ€.

Another, probably better example is that we don’t let them wait until they are 12 or 14 or 18 to decide for themselves if they’d like to brush their teeth or go to school. We lead them in the right direction until they are ready to make informed decisions on their own.

So, if at one time you thought Christianity was a valid choice, but after on you rejected it, do you give your kids that choice to make, or do you make it for them. Sure, when they grown up they can do what they want, but we all know how that will turn out.

To answer your questions, my husband would have a COW (no pun intended) I any of us went anywhere near a Mosque or a Buddhist temple! He doesn’t really like it when our oldest visited church with his Methodist friend! But because I believe Hindu and Buddhism are false religions, we would not allow our children, as long as they are under 18, to go to their services, (We are okay with the Methodists though.) But if I had grown up in one of those faiths and then left it - if I had ever thought it was valid but had changed my mind through a process that led me to rejected belief in the teachings, then I’d probably have to rethink that. So that’s why I was curious.

Here’s a side comment, which you will more than likely not appreciate. My very intelligent friend, my ‘dead body buddy’ Donna, told me a long time ago that people who use foul language all the time have a lazy vocabulary because they won’t go to the trouble to use better descriptive words. Just thought I’d throw that in there. I’m not putting you down, just letting you know that you might get your point across if you tried to throw in a few other words in now and then.

Your supercilious affect is simultaneously galling, enlivening and illuminating.

So, Asshole, is the above sentence descriptive enough for you and that renowned linguist, Donna?

(Please note the capitalization of "Asshole," since grammatical correctness necessitates use of the capital letter when addressing one by his/her proper name.)

Aww, shit. Now you're gonna catch it from Pitchu. Incidentally, have you ever noticed a tendency to continually fuck-up over a short period of time after an initial mistake, no matter how hard you try to stop?

Aww, shit. Now you're gonna catch it from Pitchu. Incidentally, have you ever noticed a tendency to continually fuck-up over a short period of time after an initial mistake, no matter how hard you try to stop?

It's okay, D.

Ladylips obviously hasn't been interested enough to learn the first thing about any of us here before she piles on her comedically misplaced assumptions.

'Scuse me. Make that: "first fucking thing."