Goodbye Jesus

How Certain Are You That There Are No Gods?

TexasFreethinker

There is no option for I don't care, or I don't know, or it's not important to me. And that is where I stand. I have some pretty strong opinions on the matter but making statements--I'm just not up to committing myself. I've been "committed" all my life and got nothing but grief in return. I am now committed to being me. That does not include decisions about metaphysics or commitments about how the universe came into existence. There's more important stuff such as how to live this one life I know I've got. I'll worry about the next one when I get there. If you hadn't put in the word about this being a scientific experiment I might have voted crazy just to see what others voted, but that would skew the stats like crazy...

Hi Ruby,

I didn't mean to imply that this poll was a scientific experiment. I was just wondering whether belief in god fell into the same category as scientific beliefs where you're never 100% certain - you're always open to the possibility that new evidence will surface that will change your current beliefs.

Feel free to "vote crazy" if you'd like to see the poll results.

TF

I'm absolutely positive that the Christian god doesn't exist. As for some other sort of creative being...I suppose it's possible, but I really don't think so, nor do I particularly care.

I joined the vast majority on q1 but honestly couldn't find an option that fits my views for q2, so...

...are there any (creator) Divine forces? Maybe. Maybe not. While the existence of the morontheistic monsters is disproven easily, I see no way how one can be sure either way about the existence of something Divine. It would all depend on what the specific concept of "Divine entity" is. Like I said several times already in this place... what if the deity(deities) prefers to hide from us? How would we know?

In the "generic" category, the question really is whether we should bother about deities possibly existing.

Guest Ephesos

None of the above really fits, so I see a very badly formulated question here.

That is - that silly YHVH of the monotheistic mediocracy does "exist", but apart from being a sleeping bag he doesn't do much (besides having a rather brain-amputated mass of camp followers). But he is one among countless others, so how would I answer "all of them exist, just if they are "responsible" for you in particular is an entirely different question?

what if the deity(deities) prefers to hide from us? How would we know?

In the "generic" category, the question really is whether we should bother about deities possibly existing.

The God of the Bible is described as a hidden God. The Word says that if we truly seek Him out with all of our hearts, that we will find Him! The "God" question is vitally important because what we decide about His Son Jesus Christ determines our eternal destiny! We know that God exists because His Creation testifies to His Power and Glory, and because God has revealed Himself to us in His Word, the Bible.

Damn, I think I'm gonna be sick... typed out too much bullshit at one time... Or maybe it was too much Truth, and the evil spooks magically infesting my inner spook have become riled within me... Anyway... gag... gag... BARF! :grin:

The God of the Bible is described as a hidden God. The Word says that if we truly seek Him out with all of our hearts, that we will find Him! The "God" question is vitally important because what we decide about His Son Jesus Christ determines our eternal destiny! We know that God exists because His Creation testifies to His Power and Glory, and because God has revealed Himself to us in His Word, the Bible.

Damn, I think I'm gonna be sick... typed out too much bullshit at one time... Or maybe it was too much Truth, and the evil spooks magically infesting my inner spook have become riled within me... Anyway... gag... gag... BARF! :grin:

LOL Brother_Jeff!

You need to be carefull with your sarcasm, you have it down to a science, and a lot of people reading it might be inclined to consider you a buybull thumper. ;) You have gave the "WTF???" feelings in your posts before, untill I read it closer... hehe, it is a true gift that, unfortunately, goes right over lots of folks heads..

But on the other hand, screw em if they can't take a joke! :)

I thought I was going to have to round up a lynch mob for a little forced deprogramming...

I thought I was going to have to round up a lynch mob for a little forced deprogramming...

Oddly though, in his sarcasm he *really* does give the most common xtian answer that they give, another sign of being intelligent with a true grasp of how the christian mind works, and an ability to articulate it correctly. GLORY!

What a powerful deconversion tool, someone who knows the responses fully, yet does not "buy" the "bull".

Good work. ;)

I voted and skipped most of the debatable points.

Quite simply... I live my life from the perspective that there is no evidence of either xtian or other gods.

I don't claim to be able to prove this but the absence of evidence to the contrary has left me 100% confident that I have no worries of missing a rapture or being slain by Thor.

I am also 100% confident that Leprechauns don't exist for the same reason. My inability to prove that is irrelevant.

I also reject all arguments that say my inability to prove non-existance then means that I cannot be 100% certain. Poppycock!

Mongo

I think gods are actually possible, in the sense of superhuman beings that evolved in an already-existing universe.

The concept of universe-creating gods doesn't make any sense to me, though. A complex being that predates the universe? Raises more questions than it answers, the first question being "Well, where did *it* come from???"

And, the more I learn about the god of the Bible, the more ludicrous it appears to me.

The first question I cna say, yes the xian god cannot exist. The other question all the answers are worded wrong to me, plus its just kind of a weird question.

LOL Brother_Jeff!

You need to be carefull with your sarcasm, you have it down to a science, and a lot of people reading it might be inclined to consider you a buybull thumper. ;) You have gave the "WTF???" feelings in your posts before, untill I read it closer... hehe, it is a true gift that, unfortunately, goes right over lots of folks heads..

But on the other hand, screw em if they can't take a joke! :)

Michael, I dunno about anonymous readers but us old-timers know Brother Jeff and his crazy sense of humour and we love him for it. Jeff, I agree, that was one of your better stunts. Congratulations! School must be agreeing with you.

There is no option for I don't care, or I don't know, or it's not important to me. And that is where I stand. I have some pretty strong opinions on the matter but making statements--I'm just not up to committing myself. I've been "committed" all my life and got nothing but grief in return. I am now committed to being me. That does not include decisions about metaphysics or commitments about how the universe came into existence. There's more important stuff such as how to live this one life I know I've got. I'll worry about the next one when I get there. If you hadn't put in the word about this being a scientific experiment I might have voted crazy just to see what others voted, but that would skew the stats like crazy...

Hi Ruby,

I didn't mean to imply that this poll was a scientific experiment. I was just wondering whether belief in god fell into the same category as scientific beliefs where you're never 100% certain - you're always open to the possibility that new evidence will surface that will change your current beliefs.

Feel free to "vote crazy" if you'd like to see the poll results.

TF

Thanks! After reading everyone else's posts, and with your assurance that it doesn't have to be absolutely scientific, I voted with some conviction. I think I voted for the 99-95% for both categories. I'm open to new information but seriously doubt that any will be forth-coming. With the present information we have I seriously doubt that there is a god of any kind but I am not prepared to make an absolute statement on it for sure.

From an objective perspective, I think the only reason I feel more reserved about the existence of a god than I do about the existence of a Flying Spageti Monster or Purple Leprechauns is that I lived with the belief so long and social relationships depends on professing that belief. It had real life meaning in a very real and tangible level. It still does. But I finally feel strong enough to stand alone if my family's God forces them to choose between him and me.

At least I know that I exist. Can't say the same about this god who makes such terrible demands on humans.

The best part about these types of polls, as opposed to the ones done for newspaper and TV, is that we are all free to comment and clarify ourselves, and are not pidgeon-holed in our responses.

I think that if god(s) exist, I am currently interacting with them as they wish to be interacted, or else they would behave differently. How the universe works is exactly how they wish to interact with us. I can do no more than to interact with the universe as best as I can.

Regardless of whether there are gods, or God, or Goddess, or whatever, how I deal with the universe and the people, places and things within it would not change. It is not about evidence, it is about simply following the processes in place. Don't expect them to change before the end of the universe, if it even has an end.

I don't believe the Christian god exists and I'm around 90-100% sure. But, it doesn't even matter to me 'cause if he exists, he can very well go fuck himself. As for other gods? I don't believe in any gods, so once again I'm 90-100% sure.

Just too many (man made) gods. I'll have to consider 8,000+ gods as a creator or existing and I don't have the time. :Old: