Goodbye Jesus

Christians: Put Up Or Shut Up!

Checkmate

Everyone at my church whines about the decline of America all the time. They shake their heads at anything that is not Biblically dictated.

Dad speaks out against gay marriage at the pulpit as I wince in the front row. At home he rants about those in the fight for gay marriage, using some rather unsavory and disrespectful terms for gays and lesbians while he is at it. I wish he would just shut up sometimes.

How long my dad's church has been praying for these "terrible" things to lesson, for America to have a "spiritual revival" that would unmistakably reveal God's presence, that the leaders of our country would turn to God for direction, and that the Bible become the SUPREME AUTHORITY of the land. Despite the prayers of all the people in my church--most of whom are considered to be elders or sanctified (I guess that means they are pretty high ranking with God right?), nothing is changing. It seems to be getting worse every day by their standards. 

"Oh, the War on Christianity!" they cry. "Our great Christian nation is being destroyed by homosexuals and Muslims and murderers and science and ATHEISTS! Give us strength to deal with those who are not believers. Help us to be witnesses by our lives."

Then I see that they are just frightened by the thought of existence without their security blanket. They are scared for change and for progress. YakRider, you are right. They can't just sit idly by and put up with all of this. They have to decry anything they don't agree with so their security blanket keeps them warm through the night. I'm not against having a security blanket at all, but when it gets in the way, eventually you have to learn to stand without it.

• Like 1

I really wish that all of these people who think that we are supposed to be an exclusively Christian nation and whine about America being ruined would go off to start a "City on a Hill" someplace else. I'd even be willing to vote to give them Alaska, except they'd drill the fuck out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this approach:

You to xian: Do you believe in God?

Xian:  Yes

You: Do you believe in the Trinity?

Xian:yes

You: Do you believe that God hears prayer?

Xian: Yes,

You: Can you explain to me exactly how the Holy Spirit talks to people?

Xian: No, I can only  tell you what I have experienced

You: Do you really believe this?

Xian: Yes.

You: Do you believe that when you pray to God to convert a sinner that the Holy Spirit talks to the sinner?

Xian: I believe God does what God wants to do.

Any more questions?

I really wish that all of these people who think that we are supposed to be an exclusively Christian nation and whine about America being ruined would go off to start a "City on a Hill" someplace else. I'd even be willing to vote to give them Alaska, except they'd drill the fuck out of it.

There is no such thing as a "Christian nation." Never was, never will be.  This country is an empire on the decline just like all those that have gone before..

This world is dying.  Morality and common sence out the window. If there is no God the future will be pumping our asses (oil) out of the ground just like we do now with the past

*shrug* So what if what remains of our bodies gets recycled, be it as petroleum or tree leaves?  I'm not the least bit offended by the thought of the molecules of My body wandering off to do other things.  We are star stuff, after all, and stars do get around.

I do know whereof you speak when you talk about the fall of empires, Clifford.  That was an integral part of a vision I had at age 11, when I "saw" the universal timeline.  Ironically, that same vision is where I got the indelible impression that eternal life is inherently meaningless, as any Ultimate Purpose is always in the future.

However, I'm a bit more optimistic about the future of this world and choose to fight on the side of trying to save it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If they haven't figured a way to prove gods existence by now, it won't ever happen. The burden of proof is on god...we all know his followers don't know even know what the hell is going on. So why keep questioning them (xtians).

I am atheist and God has to come into this realm to get me. No one will convince me otherwise based on their ignorance. Stop being mad and get over it...you already have the truth.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone at my church whines about the decline of America all the time.

Which really makes no sense if heaven awaits them. If Christians believe they are going to go to heaven, nothing that happens on Earth should cause them to become so outraged. They should be pitying the unbeleiver, but instead they hate the unbeliever. Really maskes no sense at all unless deep down, they realize there isn't a heaven.

I found out today a true story that is heartbreaking to any thinking person.

In the 1930's in North Carolina 4 daughters of an African American married couple were killed instantaneously by lightning while they were working in a cotton field. The minister (who was white and a supporter of Civil Rights) commented at the funeral that it is sometimes difficult to reconcile reason and faith. Talk about an understatement! That's beats all I ever heard.

But my challenge is for you, christians, to explain how your omnipotent, benevolent, loving god can justify allowing this to happen? But you can't use bullshit, like "god works in mysterious ways", "god needed them in heaven", or "we are not to question god's will" and the like.

The thing is, there are unspeakable horrors this bad and worse that occur and have occurred with regularity all over the world from the beginning of recorded history. Tell us the good that was accomplished by your god in allowing these things to happen.  I wait with baited breath.    bill

In the 1930's in North Carolina 4 daughters of an African American married couple were killed instantaneously by lightning while they were working in a cotton field. The minister (who was white and a supporter of Civil Rights) commented at the funeral that it is sometimes difficult to reconcile reason and faith. Talk about an understatement! That's beats all I ever heard.

But my challenge is for you, christians, to explain how your omnipotent, benevolent, loving god can justify allowing this to happen? But you can't use bullshit, like "god works in mysterious ways", "god needed them in heaven", or "we are not to question god's will" and the like.

The thing is, there are unspeakable horrors this bad and worse that occur and have occurred with regularity all over the world from the beginning of recorded history. Tell us the good that was accomplished by your god in allowing these things to happen.  I wait with baited breath.    bill

That just don't quite seem fair Bill. I mean if you take away their bullshit one liners, what else have they got? Absolutely nothing. How depressing. And they stand there, so well grounded in their faith. How do they manage to even feed themselves? I feel really bad for the young ladies you mentioned. What a tragic loss. What ever the stupid preacher uttered probably fell on deaf ears as I'm sure the poor family was numbed by unspeakable pain. Anyway, I have a feeling you're in for a long wait.