Goodbye Jesus

Crisis in America’s Churches:

Fweethawt

So...when exactly was the church "pure"?  When did it become something less than the true teachings of god?

Right around the time Paul began as a stand-up philosopher.

So...when exactly was the church "pure"?  When did it become something less than the true teachings of god?

These were my thoughts as I read this article, that they are harkening back to a more "biblically literate" past. As you said, Vixentrox, when the church was "pure."

But that is another myth, just like christianity. There is no pure past. Whenever a group (like America) looks back in nostalgia to the past, it's easy to ignore the ugly underbelly of it (like Jim Crow laws, slavery, Indian genocide). In church history, the ugly side dominates (at least for me): the Crusades, the Wars of Religion in France, the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes by Louis XIV, executions of heretics (by all sides), keeping women "in their place" (still is taught), persecution of homosexuals. The past this article wants to go back to is not pretty.

• 3 years later...
Guest butterfly

I have another reason why many Christians dont know the Bible and I've seen this first hand. Thank the Christian book market and their "experts". Everyone flocks to the hottest selling book out there, and take it as truth. Even though many have said, we dont believe everything we read and take things with a grain of salt, subconsciously they do. Bible studies today consist nothing more of discussing the hottest Christian book and people trust the "experts", and "authors" in power, rather than taking out their concordances/lexicons and studying. Of course, the church does not want to incorporate extensive bible studies (classes on proper exegesis, hermenutics, and attempting to read the Bible in its original language) becuase if many found the discrepancies between Greek/Hebrew and English, many pastors will lose control. Any fellow ex Christians out there and those like me who attend no institution, but still believe somewhat, im pretty sure you have noticed these trends too.

This is a very old thread, but since you brought it up Butterfly, I'll say this.

Most people are lazy and they would rather be told what to believe than to look into it themselves.

The Bible is the most accessible book on the planet and yet people would rather have someone else tell them what is in it, than read it themselves. What does that say about society? Especially the Christian society?

It's much easier to let someone else do the work for them and they don't really care whether or not the person telling them what to be believe is honest or knowledgeable, as long as they're popular. That's the important thing, apparently. :)

threadnecromancer.png

I have another reason why many Christians dont know the Bible and I've seen this first hand. Thank the Christian book market and their "experts". Everyone flocks to the hottest selling book out there, and take it as truth.

I've always found it amusing that everyone in Christianity has a different take on what the primary focus of spiritual practice should be. The article that started this thread is saying "Everybody needs to be biblically literate". Other experts get all wrapped up in the prosperity gospel, political activism, salvation through works vs. faith, blah, blah, blah... They're like a bunch of blindfolded people swinging sticks around in the air & insisting THEY'RE the one hitting the piñata when no one's even looked to see if there's even a piñata in the room.

• Like 1

... They're like a bunch of blindfolded people swinging sticks around in the air & insisting THEY'RE the one hitting the piñata when no one's even looked to see if there's even a piñata in the room.

:lmao: That is so true. Great picture of what these people are like.

Even though this is old....boohoo. Biblical illiteracy is actually advantageous to the church. If the churches didn't focus on the feel good fluffy stuff, people would no longer believe.

Yes, we've long known about a crisis in Biblical literacy (well literacy in general, but that is another topic...), as some 70%-ish of the US still claims to be Christian. The surest way to reduce that number is to get people to actually read the Bible, especially without God-colored glasses on.

And yes, this is some impressive, though reasonably relevant, thread necromancy.

Edited for your pleasure.